on 16 July 2008
This disc is NOT 'All Regions' but Region A. So if your machine only plays Region B like mine you're just throwing your money away.
Not a happy buying experience.
on 22 February 2012
enjoyed the live production at sheffeild end of last year , infact went to see it twice , pitty the cast isnt moveing it into the west end , so decided to buy this dvd version , was wondering about it being an import , but decided to get one as my old dvd in the loft would come out of retirement so i could play it , so when it arrived i first decided to try it in my sony blue ray ,which says area B , but suprise suprise it played without any problems , and realy enjoyed this production ,
on 21 February 2014
A remark for other users: this is a US import, you should know that US/UK are incompatible and that it is possible to buy
DVD players "region free".
Raul Esparza, whom I had known only as ADA Raphael Barba in "Law and order SVU" season 14, where he is also excellent, surprised me as a singer - I had no idea he did that too! And very well. My favourite "Marry me a little"; C heck it out on YouTube, you will buy it too :-)
on 7 July 2009
Having bought the CD of this and being totally blown away by the music I knew the DVD of the performance would be good, but I was not prepared to be so completely impressed as I was. This is an amazing production of what I believe to be a truly great musical. It is witty, sophisticated, and in the central role of Bobby, Raul Esparza gives a wonderful performance which everyone should experience - he is phenomenal. But the whole instrument-playing ensemble cast give brilliant performances, though Barbara Walsh and Heather Laws are stand outs. When watching this DVD I really feel I am 'Being Alive' and wish 'Another Hundred People' would buy it. Do buy it - you will not be disappointed.
on 28 September 2015
A clear crisp version of the piece. Without scenery or anything to distract from story you are left with heartfelt performances and great songs. And Raul Esparza may just rip your heart out of your chest with his rendition of Being Alive.
on 28 February 2009
Stephen Sondheim's "Company" is all the more engaging by this up to date production, along with its wonderful and truly talented cast. Although I first saw the show in the 70s with the original London cast, which still remains the best for me, I was more than delighted with the professional performances from everyone involved in this show. My only critisium, and the reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating, was because I found the music a little too soft, by that I don't mean in volume, but rather lacking in fullness for my taste. I would have prefered the sound of a full orchestra like in the theatre. I felt the production lacked a little umph! This was just my opinion, but that said I truly enjoyed the superb performances, and proud to add it to my collection.
on 20 December 2012
A surprisingly good production of the musical which is watchable many times and getting better each time!
All of the performances are first class. Actual filming is well done which is sometimes a problem with this type of video.
on 29 December 2012
DVD met my expectations having only seen excerpts on YouTube which were of poor quality. The extras which were unexpected were also excellent especially the interview with Sondhein.
on 23 February 2011
This is a beautifully shot film of a stunning production of a classic Sondheim musical. With the "newer" version of the script and songs the classically cynical take on marriage syill holds out a few hopes for true love at the end.
This film captures the feel of a live theatre show better than most others I've seen. Often a filmed theatre event ends up being neither a satisfactory film, nor a live record, but this production plays to its strengths and manages to have a real sense of excitement, whilst focussing on enough close up detail to be cinematic.
Not living in New York I haven't had chance to see this production live, but I can understand why it has been so well received by the critics. All the performances are very strong and the cast also play all the live instrumentation flawlessly, especially in some really tricky arrangements, such as "You could drive a person crazy", when three female performers somehow manage to sing complicated Sondheim lyrics and play saxophone seemingly simultaneously!
The only minor criticism I might have is that if you were looking for an archive of the show with clearer diction and perfect reproduction of all the song lyrics you might be better looking at a studio cast recording like the excellent Donmar Warehouse CDSondheim: Company (1996 London Cast). However this is an impressively intimate and moving experience, and an paradigm of how powerful live musical theatre can be.
on 9 February 2009
I love Stephen Sondheim, and am always so impressed by John Doyle's staging of these works, which is imaginative and thoroughly engaging.
This is just wonderful