Customer reviews

This is a fun game and great exercise.

The mat is decent, the sensitivity is good and it's large enough and durable enough to jump around on. It's a standard mat and a second mat will only cost a tenner- we've just ordered a second mat, as the game will definitely be more fun with two players, and our living room is just about big enough.

The game is straightforward. The menu system is slightly long-winded but it's easy enough to get set up and you only have to spend a few seconds before you can be getting on with the dancing.

Gameplay is nicely thought out- each song has four difficulty levels, beginner basic intermediate and advanced. Beginner is a good way of learning the game, basic is actually quite challenging for a couch potato like me. Intermediate looks very difficult and anybody who can successfully complete the highest difficulty level is on steroids, or has four legs.

There is a 'workout mode' where you can dance for fun and the game will count the time spent dancing, good if you know you want to do 15 minutes of jumping etc. Once you get above the basic level you can definitely get a sweat on with this game.

The hand controls are a problem- I can't get them to work properly, I'm not sure whether they're just very difficult to master or if they don't work properly. Luckily you can turn off the hand controls, put the Wii remote down and play entirely with your feet, which is what we'll be doing at least for now.

The music is mostly Europop cover versions of some pop and urban hits. If you're a shoegazing indie fan for whom the words "Eurovision song contest" start you shaking in sheer disgust, then for your own health don't buy this game. Yes it's fun but it's certainly not musically credible. I would have liked to have had a few more tracks to choose from, I think it won't be long before I'm bored of some of the tunes that're included.

There's a very annoying American voice that shouts "this is awesome!" and "this music is almighty!" at you during the game but luckily you can turn this awful noise off.

We bought the Wii for fun rather than serious gameplay and this is going to be one of my favourite Wii games for sure.
44 Comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2008
I'm a huge fan of the Dancing Stage games and have been buying and playing them since Euromix on the PS1 so I had high expectations of this latest addition and was very excited about getting it.

First disappointment for me though was that the hand controls are very inconsistent, sometimes they work but most of the time they don't. Fortunately though, you can turn these off and stick to the traditional feet only play so this wasn't too big a deal.

Second is that there are very few songs to begin with that have a decent number of bpm. You can unlock new songs but if you like faster songs then be prepared to play the same ones over and over again. The style of play also means that in order to unlock new songs you have to complete specific songs which is incredibly annoying as these are usually less than 100bpm and just rubbish songs in general. As I haven't yet completed the game I don't know what future unlockables will be like so this may improve.

Despite these problems it is still a fun game and definately worth getting especially if, like me, you can no longer play the old games because your PlayStation mats don't work with the PS3 ><

If you've been playing these games for a while then you'll probably find this one very tedious and annoying to begin with but from what I've seen, if you can get past that it should be pretty good. I would however, recommend this to anyone who is new to Dancing Stage as it seems very aimed towards beginners and does encourage you to try harder levels than you might do otherwise, I'm sure it would help you improve pretty quickly.
on 4 April 2008
The Wii's first Dancing Stage game (Konami) is great for casual play and party entertainment. It really is best suited alongside Wii Sports etc and others like 1st person rail shooters (for party entertainment).

Shame that most songs are cover versions, but these covers are jazzed up for a club/dance/techo (party) theme. All the classic modes are here to (like the Playstation copies of dance games etc).

Best bit. Comes with a dance mat (gamecube socket). Also the Official Gamecube dancemat for Mario Dancing Stage is compatible with this Wii game = 2 matts for 2 players.
on 16 August 2008
When I first played Dancing Hottest Stage Party, I found the movements quite hard, which was no doubt down to the fact that it was my first ever go on this type of game. I soon got into it, and it's now one of my favourite games! The dance mat is fun and easy to use, i've had no problems with it.

As previous reviewers have said, the hand controls sometimes don't seem to work, but they can be turned off. I keep them on and just move my hands about as I like! Luckily it doesn't effect your score too much. The songs are mainly dance and pop, and are cover versions. Luckily I am a big fan of this type of music, so that made the game more enjoyable for me.

There are several modes that you can play. To get a feel for the game, I would choose the Free Play mode to start with and use the "Beginner" setting. After you have got used to the dance mat a little, you can move onto the Groove Circuit Mode to take on different challenges and unlock new songs. You will be assigned a song or two for a particular challenge and if you complete the challenge then the song will be unlocked.

The game is great for getting a bit of exercise! I often find myself sweating a little after half an hour or so of jumping around the dance mat. There's even a workout mode where you can set yourself a goal for the amount of calories you wish to burn.

All in all, a very enjoyable game that is ideal for people who enjoy challenges, having fun and for those who like exercise!
on 10 January 2009
This game is a mustbuy. A little hard to start. But weeks later i can hit all the hand and feet notes. When people say its not good because the hand movements aren't picked up, its there fault not the games!! I manage fine. It really keeps you fit. It a good game and the workout mode is great. I like the fact that its not just diffent songs to dance to;there is a game to it. I would recomend it.
on 23 June 2008
I was first skeptical about purchasing this game as some reviews weren't brilliant. i am a dancing game fan and loved the ps2 version i now love the wii version even better. You actually feel like your dancing, the graphics are great. The songs are brill like 99 red balloons, 1,2 step and i don't feel like dancing. The songs are covers but clubbier and as good as the origionals in my opinion. if you liked the ps2 dancing game you will love this. A must have for all those with rythum! The hand movements are easy to pick up just make sure you flick outwards.
on 8 April 2008
Bought this game for my 9 year old daughter But we are playing together having loads of fun and it must be making me healther. Lots of levels although the music isnt my cup of tea but my daughter thinks its wonderful If you are just after some fun i can recommend this.
I just can not see how any one can do the expertise level i just find it impossible but its fun trying I am going to buy an extra mat as im sure that will be really good fun challenging family & friends
on 31 March 2008
everything about this game is great, even the songs, although they are cover versions. The best thing about it is that it's challenging. You have to unlock new levels and songs, and although it doesnt use Mii's, it makes up for it with cool charachters.

a good game for a dancer, and a must buy for any wii fan!
on 25 April 2008
I think this game is great fun. I didn't have any problems with the hand controls at all as others have suggested. Yes, the euro-pop and voice over are quite cheesey but if you accept it for what it is and stop trying to be cool, you'll have a great time!

I think the dance mat is good quality and was pleased at its non-slip design.
This game is ticky however if you have a cat that walks over it as you are playing!
on 1 April 2008
I brought my WII to try to do some "fun" exercise. I don't do the gym and have a little un around. I must confess Dance Party arrived on Saturday and I was hooked. Some great disco tracks I could sing along to. Some of the tracks are difficult to master but I'm using the workout section with calorie burner counter. I have muscles I didn't know existed! I have just ordered one for my niece and can't wait to hook up together and use it properly doing sync mode and friendship mode. The only downside is using the hand pieces - frustrating when they don't always hit the spot - but I've just turned those off and do more foot steps. Definitely recommend it.