on 22 February 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect from this film and was pleasantly surprised. This is a film that approaches Bob Dylan from different angles rather than head on. Six actors play different aspects of Dylan (superb performances by Cate Blanchett doing an electric-period Dylan and Marcus Carl Franklin playing the myth Dylan created of his childhood). The film moves back and forth between the different stories and is utterly compelling, especially the bit with Richard Gere as Billy the Kid living in a Depression-era rural backwater that is almost hallucinogenic. It's the most original and compelling biopic I've seen and pays tribute to the elusiveness of Dylan the man. This is a film I will see again.
on 5 August 2017
....just watch one of the many excellent Dylan documentaries, rather than a semi fictionalised one? Dylan fans will know who is pretending to be who, and the context, but others may be lost.
on 20 April 2017
Very entertaining film about the great Bob Dylan and for the price a definite buy for your collection
on 21 April 2018
Brilliant and curious!
on 20 April 2011
One of the films of the noughties and easily the best Dylan on dvd or blu-ray. The amazon review says all you need to know but I'll just add that there are some wonderful cover versions in here. Calexico's Goin' to Aculpulco is my highlight. Hanes plays it cool by choosing the less obvious Dylan. Brilliant!
2 people found this helpful
on 13 June 2017
very satisfied
on 7 September 2013
director todd haynes has created a terrific take on the dylan mythology. a must have film for dylan fans. non dylan fans may be left a little bemused by the whole thing. but real fans of cinema will appreciate the structure & overall composition the film has. outstanding performances from all concerned. EXTRAS : audio commentary with todd haynes. a conversation with todd haynes (40 mins) making the soundtrack (20 min) for heath : a tribute (3 min).
on 6 August 2015
I’m Not There started filming on July 30, 2006 and was premiered at the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica della Biennale di Venezia on September 3, 2007 and released in U.S. on November 21, 2007. “I’m Not There” is a 1967 Bob Dylan song from The Basement Tapes Raw: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11. This absolutely brilliant movie, directed by Todd Haynes, is poetic, artistic and has a touch of Fellini’s Otto e mezzo. Heath, Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Marcus Carl Franklin, Richard Gere and Ben Whishaw are all portraying Dylan. Colin Farrell, who supposed to play Robbie (Heath’s character), pulled out at the last minute, and Heath offered to play the part. Heath’s reasons for doing the movie, in his own words, were: “Firstly I greatly admired Bob Dylan for years and so to be someone connected to his story was enticing; and secondly the fact that Todd had written this incredibly dense hugely ambitious script which I found extraordinary beautiful, daring and I’ve seen his films and I’ve been [a] fan of his movies and I really thought that he was like the only one courageous and intelligent enough to pull it off”. Robbie’s wife is Claire, played by Charlotte Gainsbourg, who gives a great performance. There is a lot of chemistry between Heath and Charlotte and the story feels very real. I must say that in all 16 movies that Heath made, there are very few actors playing the role of Heath’s couple or love that manage to both give a brilliant performance and create a real romantic feeling; these very few actors are Rose Byrne, Julia Stiles, Jake Gyllenhaal, Abbie Cornish and Charlotte Gainsbourg. About if the movie I’m Not There gives you a better knowledge of Dylan, Heath says: “I don’t know anything more about him than you do after doing this movie … he’s still happily a mystery to me”. Dylan and Heath had a lot in common. Two true artists who don’t compromise their art: they draw their art by what they believe is good and important, and not by what the public believes is good and important: “I really appreciate the fact that Dylan was fearless in terms of not … conforming to a public demand or a commercial expectation … reinventing himself”. Heath saw in Dylan a really fearless artist. In a beautiful interview, four months before his death, Heath talks about the importance of not being afraid to fail and what failure teaches us: “I think in order to evolve as a person and as an actor, you need to be fearless somewhat. Push yourself and dare to be bad I guess. Don’t be afraid to fail and I’ve failed many times, but … failure teaches you how to succeed, I guess”. Terry Gilliam described Heath as wonderful and fearless; fearless with capital letters. Even being such a great artist, Heath thought that it was obnoxious calling acting art. About his role in I’m Not There, he says that Robbie is in “a moment in time in which he’s dealing with these two worlds: his professional life and his family life and [tries] to balance love and art, if you can call acting art, which I think is obnoxious”.

The DVD has very exciting EXTRAS: 1. Feature with commentary; 2. A conversation with Todd Haynes; 3. Making the soundtrack; and the most touching: A tribute to Heath Ledger called "For Heath", with deleted scenes with Heath and other takes from the movie and a poetic song from Bob Dylan.
on 11 March 2014
I enjoyed some parts of this better than others. It took me a while to see what this film was getting at, and even now am not altogether sure! I knew that it wouldn't be a biography of Dylan's life and it wasn't. I thought it was a good tribute to the sheer prolific scope of Dylan as a songwriter and his many 8 reinventions of himself. All the actors playing him were brilliant, except Richard Gere, not because of his acting but because I didn't think his part fitted in with the rest of the film.
on 7 June 2015
Interesting experiment that didn't work for me. Cate Blanchett was the most convincing Dylan lookalike. The eleven year old kid didn't stand a chance; he was irritating anyway. Richard Gere looked suitably off-the-wall in a way you don't often see with him. Each story was jumbled up with every other until there was confusion and I couldn't make the effort to follow it all. Consequently gave up around the thirty or forty minute mark.
3 people found this helpful