Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 22 May 2017
Mirrors my theories exactly.
on 9 December 2012
I bought this DVD as part of a boxed set of 3 DVDs Stephen Hawkings Universe & Inside Planet Earth [DVD] (it was much cheaper like that). I was hoping to be scientifically informed as well as entertained. Instead I saw lots of pretty computer generated graphics, but with very little scientific explanation of the subjects covered.

I will give an example. Concerning time travel we are told that time slows down near massive objects like stars and planets, and also when travelling very fast (relative to the speed of light). No explanation is offered, just 'take it from me it's true'. James May did a lot better on the BBC by considering Einstein's 'thought experiments' as an explanation. For example imagine travelling on a beam of light and the fact that (other) light can never reach you implies that time stands still for you. Or the fact that mass bends light (experimentally proven on an astronomic scale) implies that due to it's constant speed, time must slow down slightly to allow for the extra distant travelled from an otherwise straight line to a distant source.

Had this been from anyone other than Steven Hawking, I might not have expected so much. I think that maybe the Discovery Channel 'dumbs down' scientific documentaries to appeal to a wider american public, so it's probably not his fault.

I hope I won't upset too many people by this review; I'm ready to be shot down in flames!
on 6 July 2015
I bought this thinking it was a DVD of the film. It is not. it is taken from the series Master if the Universe, which is of course interesting, but not what I wanted. I have therefore given this one star. I should have been more careful when buying, read the reviews, and not be misled by the title.
on 9 July 2015
The link on the website says this is the called "The Theory of Everything" which I confused with the award winning film of that name. It is in fact a six year old American TV documentary originaly called "Master of The Universe which has been retitled to cash in on the popularity of the film.

The disk was labeled "The theory of Everything " but it came in a wallet labeled "Master of the Universe " - very confusing and very disappointing.
on 25 February 2015
This dvd is about Stephen Hawkin's life and his science. Both are very interresting. Good science (and no bad philosophy, as in the Grand Design dvd).
on 21 December 2016
I can only say it's ok because this man is a genius beyond any other by light years! I wish i could understand it more!
A very interesting look at our universe from a very very cleverer man
on 7 July 2015
Was a present for a Stephen Hawking fan, has gone down very well.
on 30 December 2015
Recommend seller. Am by happy with product
on 27 August 2016
This was okay. Not riveting, but watchable