on 18 January 2018
Good movie loved it
on 18 July 2017
Great effects but really gets carried away!
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 April 2014
The problem with special-effects films like "Godzilla" is 'age' - and in 2014 ("Mastered In 4K" or not) - 1998 seems like a very long time ago. But a few details first before I get into this…

I don't own a 4K TV - nor do I own the Sony BDPS6200 BLU RAY player with built-in 4K upscaling. So I suppose this review of "Godzilla Mastered In 4K" is compromised on 2 fronts. However I have what I suspect most film lovers have - a good Plasma TV and a half-decent BLU RAY player.

I’ve already bought and reviewed the BLU RAY for "Glory Mastered In 4K" just recently and loved it. I thought the improvement was huge on what went before. But unfortunately - I only sporadically see improvement in "Godzilla"(no matter how much fun it is)...and I suspect there are several reasons for this.

I’ve found that a certain percentage of BLU RAY reissues only make the print worse by exposing more – and to some degree that’s what’s happening here with 4K. A large amount of the shots are in a rain-sodden New York - or at night - or in tunnels - inside Madison Square gardens - out at sea in the dark - and mostly you simply get accentuated grain. There are so many scenes when proceedings just seem murky rather than clear – and it didn’t matter what Aspect I watched the film in. A lot of the time I felt like I wasted my money on this.

But let me be clear about the other side of the coin - there absolutely are moments when the picture quality is startlingly good – beautiful even. Broderick making a phone call on a payphone in the rain – Hank Azaria talking to his girlfriend in a coffee shop - earth worms coming up to the surface of the mud as he sends shocks into the clay – Jean Reno’s face as he turns around in a taxi on the docks…these were superbly filmic. But overriding all of that is another core problem…

Special-effects shots that were once state-of-the-art and thrilled audiences – now seem hammy and worse - obviously painted in. When you think of the recent "Transformers" films or "Man Of Steel" or "Avengers" or "Total Recall" and realize just how far effects have come on – the feeling that the giant reptile is actually there in New York no longer plays because spaces and hiding techniques now show up more than ever.

So is Mastered In 4K a gimmick? No it's not. The new format on BLU RAY is in its infancy for sure as far as releases and market interest is concerned - but judging on what I saw with "Glory" – 4K will eventually take over – and does make a difference if the print is properly restored.

It just appears that some films will benefit more than others. I would advise either avoid this one or try to view first before you buy…

PS: Titles MASTERED IN 4K as of April 2014 are:

1. Angels And Demons (2009)
2. Battle: Los Angeles (2011)
3. Elysium (2013)
4. Ghostbusters (1984)
5. Glory (1989)
6. Godzilla (1998)
7. The Karate Kid (2010)
8. Men In Black (1997)
9. Moneyball (2011)
10. The Other Guys (2010)
11. Pineapple Express (2008)
12. Spider-Man (2002)
13. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
14. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
15. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
16. Taxi Driver (1976)
17. Total Recall (2012)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 August 2015
Well, I've been suckered into watching yet another Roland Emmerich disaster movie - never again, though. I'd somehow missed this 1998 film until a friend recently suggested that I watch this as they knew I was a fan of the 1954 Japanese version Godzilla [1954] [DVD] but I think I'm about to cross them off my Christmas card list as I thought this film was just awful, with an appallingly bad script, mediocre acting, banal humour, and an unbelievably poor grasp of basic geography (Godzilla is in the South Pacific one minute, and then totally inexplicably appears off the coast of New York on the western edge of the Atlantic Ocean - why? how? who knows? who cares? - the director obviously didn't....).

The original Godzilla rampaged around Tokyo causing mass destruction with fiery "atom breath", but the poor Godzilla in Emmerich's film had no such weaponry, just enormous size, and is consequently hamstrung from the start. San Francisco would have been a much better location for this Godzilla's antics as it's at least on the edge of the same ocean that spawned Godzilla; and Frisco also has a significant population descended from Japanese immigrants, so that would have added a touch of authenticity too. Why New York was chosen is anyone's guess - maybe Emmerich hates the place and likes to see it repeatedly destroyed in his films...

On the plus side, Godzilla is nicely animated and looks intimidating enough, but I can't forgive the director for omitting Godzilla's atom breath as that's such a major feature of the monster. Godzilla's children were also animated well enough, but looked too much like a rehash of scenes from Jurassic Park [DVD] and didn't really add anything for the story, except to set up a sequel - please, no, NO!

But the negatives are too numerous for me to like this film, with a dreadful script that plods along at times, and mediocre acting in the most part - although Jean Reno managed to squeeze a bit of wry humour out of very poor material, very often with just a raised eyebrow or a Gallic shrug; he had the air of someone who knew he'd been lumbered with a turkey, but was doing his best to rescue some credibility.

This film had the trademark Emmerich "suspend all disbelief before watching" special effects where all sorts of improbable and unlikely things become possible, such as the manic taxi ride around numerous obstacles, into Godzilla's mouth and back out again... It also had very poor, supposedly humourous, dialogue that just wasn't funny at all - the scenes with the mayor were some of the worst and just fell totally flat.

If you liked Emmerich's other films like 2012 [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] then you'll probably love this version of Godzilla. But if you hated 2012 then steer clear and watch the original 1954 version of Godzilla instead. Or maybe even try the 2014 version by Gareth Edwards which has had mixed reviews, but looks a lot more promising than Emmerich's turkey; I'll rent this one soon just so that I can make up my own mind: Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
on 16 January 2017
Love this movie, fantastic!
on 3 July 2017
v poor.
on 5 January 2017
Quick delivery and happy viewers, loved this film when it came out and finally got around to replacing the vhs
on 22 October 2017
Take your brain out, insert popcorn, sit on a comfy chair, put on a pair of headphones and sit back and relax to Roland Emmerich's entertaining 1998 'Godzilla'. This is much better than the 2014 'Godzilla' with Bryan Cranston, directed by Gareth Edwards. This 1998 version is dumb entertainment where story-lines are, quite frankly, incidental. It'll blow your socks off...........
7/10
on 30 June 2014
Excellent book and gives me back the fond m emories I had when I first read this at school!
on 5 August 2015
Cartoonish 1 dimensional characters, a monster which looks like phony CGI T-rex (makers hoping to cash in on the popularity of Jurassic Park), wooden acting and lots and lots of rain. This film was just awful, in one scene our group in their taxi literally drive the taxi into the mouth of Godzilla....I'll say no more.