on 16 April 2015
I'm afraid I must disagree with most reviewers. I saw this both in the ROH and on DVD, which confirmed my first impression. I found Dessay vocally strained (at times downright harsh) and her performance too manic. The production irritated me - too much fussy detail.
Florez has improved with age - the famous 9 top C's are all very well but are after all just an acrobatic display, but the legato in his final aria is superb . and as moving as the end of the first act should be, but isn't.
on 21 September 2013
Et mari! ou bien est-ce: marri ?
We all thought of Pavarotti while listening to the end of this act and I guess poor Juan Diego Florez knew perfectly well he had to match up or do something so different nobody would complain.
In my opinion he sort of made it similar and unfortunately his fear of failing DID show.
Nathalie Dessay is wonderfull, jumps, laughs makes us smile and steals the show.
For J. D. Florez at his best I Puritani is a much better performance.
on 28 June 2008
This has to be the most exuberant production of all time. There is not a moment wasted and the direction and acting are sensational.

This is a lyrical tour de force. How does Natalie Dessay manage to control her voice whilst lying down or being thrown around? Juan Diego Flores is a delight and in fine voice and the supporting cast is wonderful.

A not-to-be-missed masterpiece by Donizetti.
on 12 November 2014
The combination of the two great stars, Juan Diego Florez and Natalie Dessay give us a magnificent performance with their
beautiful singing and acting. i don't think it can be bettered and has turned La Fille du Regiment into great opera.
on 30 May 2013
This is an old favourite - the traditional story of a girl who disguises herself as a soldier in order to be near her sweetheart. A story as old as the hills, but a joyous opera, with a lot of humour in it, as well as some sad bits, of course.
on 19 October 2013
I was lucky enough to see this production at Covent Garden, before you needed a small mortgage to buy a ticket. It is returning this season again, but tickets are astronomical, so buying the DVD is a better option. A great performance.
on 9 November 2010
Perhaps not the most inspiring story, but this performance is truly magical. The performances by all principals is superb and the production has been very well captured for video. A classic to go into the opera library.
on 1 June 2010
Thoroughly enjoyable but some of the accents are a bit doubtful;still it's not a French lesson one is expecting.The music is great and well worth watching over and over again.Recommended.
on 13 November 2014
Fantastic record, in every sense.
Natalie Dessay, to feel in love with her.
Among my many discs, this is my favorite.
Sure it will also be yours!
on 16 January 2013
This is one of the least known of operas. This performance by a wonderfully talented cast is a joy to behold. My wife & I watch it over & over again.