VINE VOICEon 16 July 2008
Lena Headey had a hard job to fit into the character of Sarah Connor and many said she didn't have the physique to pull it off, but she does and with some real attitude.

The script writing is surprisingly good and if you're not paying attention then much will bypass you. Many questions are also left wanting at the end which are certainly intriguing and I truly hope they make more soon.
on 22 December 2011
When I first heard there was a going to be a Terminator television show put into production, I have to admit that I rolled my eyes, especially after the disappointing but still reasonably enjoyable third movie. However, the end result is actually very good. The main cast have been well selected, especially Lena Heady and Thomas Dekker in the leads, and the supporting cast also put in good performances in their roles, especially Sabrina Perez as Chola, who doesn't even say anything, despite being in several episodes and being relatively important in moving part of the storyline. Special effects are certainly above average for TV but not as good as in the movies, likely due to obvious budget constraints. The makers have done reasonably well in not straying from the overall tone and story of the movies and although the show isn't perfect (the plot can be a little loose at times), I still certainly recommend it. This is my second time watching the first season, and next up TV wise in my pile, is season two for the first time. I hope it's as good as this season was. 4/5
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2008
Obviously I can't comment on the DVD itself, as I am writing this 2 months before release. But having seen the entire series on Virgin 1, I would urge any Terminator fan who missed it to grab a copy as soon as you can.

This could have been some awful cash-in, or could have missed the point completely (like the ill-fated 'Flash Gordon' series). But it is actually superb. It is really obvious that the people behind it are fans themselves, respectful of the source material, and yet simply wanting to continue the story in a new direction.

All 3 of the main actors are excellent in their roles - I had absolutely no problem accepting Lana Headey as Sarah Connor - she does a great job of portraying someone with the weight of the world on her shoulders, who nevertheless knows that she can't afford to give up. Thomas Dekker is totally believable as John - trying to come to terms with his 'future hero' persona, whilst still a confused teenager at heart.

And Summer Glau - what can I say? She was fantastic in 'Firefly/Serenity', memorable in 'The 4400', and here she just excels herself. As the protector from the future, she makes a totally believable android - a bit like Arnie in T2, she is basically ruthless, with John having to teach her about compassion and what is acceptable. But better than that, you are never entirely sure whether you should trust her - apart from anything else, she DOESN'T always do what John asks her. And the writers keep on giving little hints that she may have been compromised in some way, which adds a real edge to the whole series.

The series is very exciting, with great action scenes, and the plot neatly intertwines an overall 'arc' with individual stories. Add to this occasional glimpses of the 'future' that they are trying to avoid, and you have something that you really can't afford to miss. The only real down-side is that they only made 9 episodes, because of the US writers' strike, and so it ends without actually resolving anything. But on the strength of what has been made so far, I would hope that a 2nd series would be a no-brainer. And if that is true, you'll want to have boned up on the first series well in advance!
on 25 March 2014
A Shame that the first series had such a poor sound track.

It was very watchable with some more than adequate acting and good story line - if you enjoy this sort of fantasy! And there is a fair amount of humour from the female cybourg trying to understand and to ape human characteristics. Also a touching scene where she practises her well-learnt ballet technique: - very beautiful , moving, and watched by a very moved sceptical human.

Unfortunately the loud 'background' music pretty nearly overwhelmed much of the dialogue, in particular the very loud and insistent thump of amplified percussion - the trade mark of all the Terminator films. But even without the 'music' the dialogue was poor and there are NO subtitles to help you along if you have any fall-off in auditory acuity (which an increasing number of us do!) An extra edition of one of the episodes on the last disc with some interpolated scenes cut for the original had, for some reason, an excellent soundtrack which seemed to me to prove the rough and ready nature of the unimproved version.

I am up for the second series, nonetheless, and am especially curious about the suggested sexual attraction/affection for the robot shown by the adolescent boy. I fear it will all end in tears!
on 22 February 2015
Lena Headey is one of many British actors who convincingly adopt an American accent when featuring in a US of A drama. So good it is you'd never guess she was from over here.
She stars as Sarah Conner, along with a strong supporting cast. Cameron, an advanced robot in human form, sent to protect John Connor from a multitude of others from present and future, is convincing, as is Connor himself.
I found myself hooked, and watched all episodes in season 1 in a couple of weeks, which is unusual for busy old me!
Season 2 beckons....
on 13 December 2015
Great entertainment. Worth watching both seasons on prime but I'm not sure I can whole heartedly recommend buying this due to the awful low budget ending? It's a shame because this could have been great. Summer Glau is amazing, plus, if you like G.O.T. then you might enjoy watching Cersei in this one.?
on 17 October 2015
Really loved series one......best terminator TV since the second movie. Real shame that season 2 did not match this season and was glad that it got cancelled before it was completely ruined. Having said that, this first series is a must and fabulous TV.
on 25 January 2014
This was selling for only £3.50 on Amazon, so buying it was a bit of a no-brainer.

I have to say this series is surprisingly good. Granted it doesn't have the same budget that T2 had, but the storyline is excellent and the connections they have made to the original movies makes it even more enjoyable.

Its a real pity the networks pulled the plug on SCC after season 2.

Highly recommended.
on 24 July 2013
I had so much enjoyed Summer Gaul in Firefly and Dollhouse recently (catching up on those gems late!) it gave me renewed interest in this series. She plays the 'good' terminator. Its perfectly well done, well cast, etc, BUT being sandwiched between the film 'chapters' of the original means the story simply can't take any exciting or unexpected twists. I have so far watched the first 5 episodes and feel thats enough. One for the car boot sale perhaps!
on 23 July 2009
Very, very fast Shipment by Amazon! Impressive!

The Price is unbeatable, even less expensive than the DVD-version down here in Switzerland, including shipment and everything!

Yesterday I started watching and already have seen the first two episodes. I guess, the fact, that I'll be through with Episode 6 or 7 tonite says a lot about how I like this Series!!!

Summer Glau is absolutely stunning! She's not my type of girl but I'm sure, I could not stop staring at her, when I saw her on the street.. She's got an amazing Charisma!
John and Sarah are also very well casts and I'm very looking forward to watch the rest of the Series and I already preordered Sesaon two.

it's sad, they don't go on, with that!

To the Blu-Ray:
Picture Quality is not top of the arts (compared to Movies like "the Dark Knight") but I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars, because the overall is very sharp and the colors are perfect. (I've got to admitt, that I even like the bright orange of CSI:miami, so this does not count that much :D )
Sound Quality is very clean and nice, but for me there's missing a lot of BASS and Surround Effects!
Of course, it is a TV production, for 2 channel Setups, but that doesn't count!

The Bonus content seems to be "complete" to spend another few hours with watching.

Overall I can say:
First Series I've ever bought and I don't regret it at all!

ps: I love that scene, with the Diamond in Episode two..