1,214
Style: AC401|Change

on 27 July 2009
What a task finding baby monitors is!!!! I did so much research but I really feel it paid off with this monitor. Firstly, who the hell needs a monitor with video? It's just insane to assume that you'll sit there all night looking at a 3 inch screen when you might as well just stand by the cot all night. The Angelcare saves you on this one because the movement sensor pad will tell you if there's something you need to deal with quickly. I was worried about false alarms, but after 3 weeks of using this we've not had one false start. I even ran some hardcore tests where I literally just stroked my fingers over the surface of the mattress and this thing picks it up. I then got paranoid and thought if it was this sensitive then surely it might mistake someone playing music loudly downstairs for heartbeat movement in the cot, so I did some jumping up and down next to the cot and it didn't pick that up - perfect, despite how dumb I looked at the time!

The handheld is nice and slick with a good user interface and shows the room temperature (not that I pay much attention to room thermometers - you know if it's too hot for crying out loud). It also doesn't contantly monitor the audio (which in other monitors means you sit in your living room listening to static hiss all night). This is clever by only playing audio when it detects baby crying. If the baby stops crying it will leave the audio channel open for a minute afterwards. You can also set alerts for if the temperature drops below or goes above a certain point (which you set yourself).

I've read some reviews moaning about build quality but honestly I don't get it; all these things feel a little bit 'Fisher Price' if you ask me, and actually I think these are well made compared to the competition - oh and don't worry about thick walls as the range on this is great (I got half way down the garden when testing).

The only thing some people have moaned about is that you can't sit the sensor pad on wooden slats (ie, the base of every cot) and you need a 6mm thick square of wood to sit the pad on. When you unpack the box you'll note there is a square piece of card which is on top of the sensor (just part of the packaging) and I use that and it works fine.

I've actively recommended it to friends because I think this is the best monitor you can buy and it won't break the bank.
1616 Comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2011
This morning our 7 week old daughter was sleeping in her cot, and the alarm went off. We both legged it upstairs and resuscitated her. I honestly believe this device just saved my daughters life, and can't recommend it enough.
11 Comment| 292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2015
Best thing I ever bought, well worth the money! Alarm started to go off and was able to quickly get to my daughter to shock her into breathing again. Would and have recommended
on 21 June 2013
Fantastic product, we couldn't be without it! It provides such good peace of mind when putting baby to bed. Would recommend every expectant parent to purchase this!!
on 7 January 2017
This was a must have product for me. I wouldn't have been able to sleep without it! It's so reassuring knowing it's there, just for a bit of extra peace of mind. Never had any false alarms. Would highly recommend
on 27 June 2014
Very good alarm. Sounds alarm in babies room first then on parent unit when no movement is detected. Gives peace of mind whilst baby is napping I can do other things.
on 1 June 2012
Not normally one for writing product reviews on here, but felt I had to share our positive views about this one.

We've had one of these monitors since our baby boy was born - he's nearly 10 months now.

The alarm has gone off once previously, in the morning when he'd rolled up to the other end of his cot for a play. Obviously we panicked when we heard the alarm but were relieved the monitor had done its job, even though nothing bad would have happened if we hadn't had the monitor.

However, last night while we were getting ready for bed the alarm went off again. We were in his room about 2 seconds later but this time he wasn't playing, he had stopped breathing. We gave him a nudge to rouse him and fortunately he started breathing again and is absolutely fine.

He may well have started breathing again anyway, but given the unthinkable consequences if he hadn't I cannot recommend this product highly enough. It's not just the peace of mind that makes it a must-have, it's also the fact that it may one day genuinely prevent the worst from happening.
11 Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2008
I first became aware of this complete unit 7 years ago when my son was born 3 months premature. I was living in America at the time and he received the best of care but was inevitably put on several monitors in the intensive care unit. He suffered many episodes of Apnea whilst in the baby unit which scared the living daylights out of me. Like most parents of preemies, I was extremely worried about how I would cope once he got home, with not having the monitors to rely on. After searching the internet, I found this unit and bought it immediately. At that time, it was well over £100.

Unfortunately, my son developed Cerebral Palsy and has no speach. He is quaridplegic too. Without this unit, I would never have slept for fear of every parents nightmare coming true. Thanks to this unit, I could put my head on the pillow and managed a peaceful nights sleep, knowing my baby was safe and that I would be allerted if anything should happen. (We have had a couple of scares but thankfully the Angelcare monitor alerted us in time)!!

We first used a moses basket with the sensor pad, then his cot and finally moved him into a full sized single bed. The sensor pad it situated in the middle of the base unit underneath the mattress and works perfectly. The pad is amazing, it works brilliantly with all forms of beds. Granted, my old Angelcare from the States started playing up 4 years after purchasing but I immediately bought another one from Amazon which had the new features this one has. My old one did not have the temperature gauge or the night light. However, to be perfectly honest, I think the sensor pad is far more important!

As I stated in my review title, my son is now 7years old and we STILL use this unit. With a severely disabled child, who has no movement or speach, this unit has become my lifeline for his safety and our peaceful nights sleep.

Personally I think these units should be given FREE to every mother when they leave maternity, it would certainly help to reduce SIDS. Perhaps someone could campaign for this from the government but in the meantime, I don't see how any parent could be without this fabulous monitor.

I would also pay 10 times the price of this unit because when it comes to your baby, What price can you put on a life?
33 Comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2008
I bought this model a few days ago following a couple of disaster purchases (esential video monitor.)Being a 1st time parent, it's important to have faith in the monitor you choose - The sound quality on this model is superb (zero interference)and this has so many great features over and above the movement sensor - such as temperature alarm, also the choice of sound activated monitoring or continuous. The night light is lovely also, just enough to see my daughter without disturbing her putting extra lights on - I would recommend this to any parent.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2014