on 19 August 2009
To say this album blew me away is an understatement. I was dimly aware of Elbow, and sort of aware of the perfect "A Day Like This"- maybe from an advert, a TV trailer, somewhere.

I went to a friend's house, and "A Day Like This" came on her iPod. I was gob-smacked by the beauty of the song and lyrics. I put it on repeat, and it brought tears to my eyes, the sheer optimism of the lyrics and the gorgeous strings.

Rushed out to get the album, and I am utterly bowled over by the cuttingly honest lyrics. Take this from 'Starlings':

"So yes I guess I'm asking you
To back a horse that's good for glue
And nothing else
But find a man that's truer than,
Find a man that needs you more than I"

Many of the songs have that helplessly in love feel, sometimes unrequited, but always disarming. I feel naked listening to this, like it's songs that I could've written had I had the skill or the audience.

I think maybe it's because I'm in a similar position of being in the first flushes of love with someone that this album really hits home, but it's very rare that a piece of music, let alone a whole album has affected me so.

Go out and get this album, you'll thank me later :)

Elbow, I salute you.
on 5 August 2017
Fantastic album, with hits such as Grounds for Divorce and many more. One of the best albums from Elbow. Guy Garvey has a unique and powerful voice and his lyric writing is highly creative.
on 16 July 2008
I bought this album on the strength of 'One Day Like This' which I never tired of hearing on the radio, and the fact that I would be seeing Elbow at a summer music festival. I must admit that I am completely amazed by how much I love this album, I am no music critic but each track is so beautifully crafted and individual, sometimes the music is slow and melodic then it lifts you right up into the sky before gently bringing you down to earth again. Sometimes it is slightly reminiscent of Peter Gabriel, sometimes The Beatles, very slightly Coldplay (sorry!), a bit Keane (?) but overall a unique sound. Was just thinking that it was a bit Richard Hawley but I now see that he was involved....

I just keep playing this album over and over again. I must admit to skipping the first track because the fanfares are just a bit too loud for me! A wonderful buy.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 March 2008
I saw Elbow perform at Reading a few years ago and they left me mesmerised. Guy Garvey stood there wearing a suit that looked as though it had come from some charity shop, and that sums up Elbow...underated genius. This is one of those albums that I just know will become part of my life over the coming months as and when I get a chance to listen to it. Grounds for Divorce was played on the Jonathan Ross show the other night much to my amazement and the even watching on the tv I could feel the music fill every square inch of the studio and get under people's skins. I'm still surprised that whenever I mention to people what a great band they are, 9 / 10 times I seem to get a quizzical look and perhaps a nod and "oh, yea, them..." as though they were another run-of-the-mill "alternative" group that's 10-a-penny, when really people should lie on the ground and worship these guys...!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 July 2017
Elbow's later albums have never surpassed this one. I had to listen to it several times before I fully appreciated its complexity of words and its compelling rhythms .
on 21 November 2014
What can you add that no one else has said. This was my first intro to Elbow, I now own most of their CD's, maybe it's because this was the first, it's my favourite but maybe it is their best I'll leave that to you. This is probably more anthemic the opening track Starlings is outstanding and I listen to it frequently.
Then there is the big sing song hit "On a Day Like This" who needs other tracks but there are 10 other strong songs to go for.
on 6 September 2013
I have just re-purchased this after managing to damage my other one. Despite how old this album is, it is still timeless and without doubt once of the best albums I have ever purchased. There is something for everyone on here and never fails to either comfort or inspire you every time you listen. I don't think this album can ever be over-played. It is a diamond amongst anyone's music archive.
on 4 December 2013
Brilliant album. Came on double 180g 45rpm twelve-inches. Yes, 45rpm. Confused me at first too as it doesn't say 45 anywhere. Sound quality is excellent, as you'd expect when it's stretched out over that much vinyl. This album is an excellent reason to buy a turntable.
Every track is a surprise - so different from the last, yet seamlessly integrated into each other. You won't regret it!
on 18 March 2010
Waited quite a while for a band to grab me again. This band has done it for me. This album has done it for me. Guy's vocals are special he has a dramatic gravelly voice full of emotion as are the lyrics. Bones of you - ' a Juggernaut Brow', 'juggling commitments like cats in a sack'. Don't seem to have the time for music as I used to or was I just not listening or was I waiting for something as brilliant as this. A Manchester band I think and I saw them on Andrew Marr show a year or so ago. Love to see them live. I hope they do carry on producing albums, it would be a shame if they didn't. An album like this makes far more of an impact that just producing singles.
on 21 March 2008
I bought this album partially as I already know the band but also on the back of their peformance on the Jonathan Ross show a few weeks back which I thought was outstanding. I had also read quite a few positive reviews so I awaited the arrival of the album with quite some anticipation. So I was somewhat surprised by the low notes and slurry sounds when I actually got the album onto my turntable. I realised of course that the album was actually cut at 45rpm although there is no indication of this anywhere on the album or on the Amazon entry (Amamzon take note!). I rarely play 45s so I had some tweaking to do to get my player working at that speed. Once I did and I started listening my hopes of a good sounding and musical album were fulfilled and it seems like a disc that will become more interesting with repeated plays.

So I would recommend you give the album a go but not if your record player is 33 1/3 rpm only...
2 people found this helpful