on 17 October 2011
I recently inherited a integral fitted washing machine when I moved house and discovered that it had a very bad smell and some of my washing was coming out with a brown sludge on it (lovely....). over the past few weeks I have tried using soda crystals and other washing cleaners set on the hottest wash, but the smell kept coming back after I completed subsequent washes, as did the brown sludge on some wash loads. I got Afresh cleaner tablets and did 3 separate washes one straight after the other as advised on the instructions for a badly gummed up machine.
So far it seems to have worked, I have completed more washes in the machine and it has stayed smelling fresh rather than the smell creeping back as previously.
I would rate these as a worthwhile buy.
on 7 September 2017
Didn't really do much for my washer!

Used the full packet (3) one after each other as instructed, and the washer still smells!
on 9 August 2015
Excellent product. Worked really well in my front load machine and smells really good.
on 13 September 2011
This product is fantastic. Like others I wash on low temperatures, use non-biological powders and was really fed up when my washing machine started to smell musty. I had tried without success other remedies found on the web .
One tablet sorted the problem and I will definitely use them on a regular basis now. I haven't tried lower price products but with 3 tablets in a pack, this must be comparable in price I would think and I know it works!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 June 2015
They work well but I suspect they're nothing more than large dishwasher tablets so I could have saved a lot of money by throwing a couple of them into the tub as an experiment to see if they had the same effect. After all the active ingredient is Sodium Perchlorate that is also present in certain dishwasher tablets so if you use the highest temperature setting ( 90 degrees ) then the dishwasher tablets should dissolve and do just as well as Affresh.
on 10 February 2016
First tried one of the tabs on our old smelly washing machine. It did improve matters for a while but the the smell soon returned. However in fairness we did try several other products on that machine with similar results so I think it was beyond redemption.

Having replaced that machine with a new item we've been keeping on top of any such issues to stop it ever getting too bad. We purchased this item along with Wpro Powerfresh Washing Machine Cleaning Tabs and Ecozone Washing Machine and Dishwasher Cleaner and have been trying them all in turn to see how they compare.

We've run them in a cycle either using the eco drum clean program or the hottest available wash. Although the former doesn't run at the machine's maximum temperature it does have a rapid drum rotation feature designed specifically to help with self-cleaning so I think using them alternately might be a fair compromise to keep the machine clean.

These tabs contain sodium percarbonate which is the same active ingredient as the Wpro ones - I do wonder whether they're actually the same product in different packaging.

They seem to do the job although they are considerably more expensive than the Ecozone tabs, so unless they prove to be 7x better than them I think the latter (which have a slightly different chemical composition) may be a more cost-effective purchase.
on 27 October 2011
I bought this product initially to get rid of the nasty smell and specks of black gunk in my washing machine, that bleach and running a hot wash every so often didn't manage to clear. If anything they made things worse. I live in a hard water area and I think the combination of using a liquid detergent and limescale was causing build-up.

At that point I bought a 3 pack with the cleaning cloths. I used all 3 tablets, one after another on 95 degree washes. It worked! I now use them at least once a month. They claim to be less harmful to the environment than bleach. Having had a look around the internet to see what generally caused problems with mould, I also now use a bio detergent powder (having been dedicatedly non-bio before) and don't wash anything on a short cycle as apparently the fact that washing machines are cutting down on water use means shorter washes have fewer rinses and therefore residue can build up.
on 24 May 2011
This product is easy to use and got rid of a nasty smell which had developed in my washing machine. What more could you want?
on 24 January 2013
These are great, brought 2 lots for me and my daughter.. She had a real bad smell coming from her washing machine! Used all 3 and done the trick. Would reccommend using them on a regular basis, they really do a good job, Would definately buy again.,
on 5 November 2016
Worked a treat. Have had my washing machine for over 15 years and have never properly cleaned my drum. Could't work out what the smell was and after online research discovered the problem of build up around the outside (hidden part) of the drum. Had cleaned out every other part could think of but cannot access this. Did as directed and it has definitely worked. Have now ordered more Affresh for my daughter's machine.

See one answered question