Customer reviews

on 20 December 2013
Came across reference to this when researching for a presentation to my local University of the Third Age Science Group. Had not been aware of it previously and liked the approach adopted.
on 5 June 2015
This ridiculous, stultifying pseudo-science propaganda piece (‘documentary’) should be avoided at all cost if you value truth.
VINE VOICEon 18 July 2008
There's a certain redundancy about the Leonardo Di Caprio produced environmental polemic The 11th Hour in that all of the messages were already communicated by Al Gore in An Inconvenient Truth and far more coherently. Indeed, many of the same charts even appear in this film, rather smaller, better animated and on screen for a seconds and though the message, that the world is broken unless we can convince our leaders to do something about it, for some reason this barrage of scientists make a less convincing case than the a former next President of the United States. The overall impression is of Adam Curtis (The Power of Nightmares) remaking a Godfrey Reggio film (Koyaanisqatsi) interspersing the shots of landscapes and cities and death with vignettes from Richard Linklater's Waking Life before the animation was applied.

Unlike the Gore film, there's no respite from the statistics and shouting, as face after face, archive clip on archive clip shuffle through, rarely giving the viewer a chance to take stock before some other apocalyptic vision is introduced. The previous slide show was paced by pertinent dips into Al's biography, explaining why the environmental cause is important to him and so how it should be important to us. Here, the only relief is in some scenic pieces to camera by Leo himself standing on the edge of what looks like the Grand Canyon, doubtlessly attempting to use his star power to attract those who might otherwise be disaffected. But there's little levity and though the film ends on a positive note, with contributions from companies apparently winning the environmental fight the overall impression is that Big Oil will win in the end. That doesn't seem fair does it?
on 17 March 2013
I haven't seen this film as it was purchased for someone in my family, but the price was very reasonable and the disc was in new condition
on 3 November 2008
Film Review - The 11th Hour - The Village Hall, Littleham - October 7th 2008-10-08
I came away from this screening feeling bruised and battered having sat through what
seemed like hours of interminable verbal assault. Not bad language you understand but
the result of the Hollywood hand being applied to an otherwise, albeit unpalatable,
important subject - Global Warming.
After an introduction of staccato film bites showing perhaps half a second of major
natural disasters, implying that they were the sole result of Global Warming, which, if
you believe the Bible and other historical sources that cite regular natural calamities, is a
difficult premise to take on board. The cinematic tricks diminished leaving the senses
reeling and the head aching from the action and the noise. When they finally ceased there
followed statement after statement on the various contributory causes of Global Warming
from apparently erudite academics mainly from the USA. In itself an irritation when it is
remembered that the rest of the world's academic community have been ringing the
warning bells for half a century or more whilst the US slept. These sound bites went on
and on and on requiring a level of concentration from the viewer last felt in yours truly
when he crossed a 1000 foot deep ravine in Sumatra on a 4 inch wide bridge!
I was determined not to switch off and was glad I didn't. Just occasionally there was
relief from the persistent unloading of warnings of doom and disaster. These were the
amazing statistics and convincingly presented evidence that emanated from the screen.
For example, did you know that the Americans spend more on lawn care than the whole
of the Indian continent's GDP! Now that is consumerism supreme. I was also pleased to
be introduced to a Churchillian quote regarding the Americans. He apparently said "The
Americans always get it right, but not before they've tried everything else first". Quite so.
Furthermore, continuing the positive tone, I did find the contributions of Oren Lyons,
Faithkeeper of the Onondaga Nation of the Iroquois Confederacy, to be very relevant. I
was struck by his unselfish concern for the Earth, particularly his view that the Earth
would be fine and that it would survive, irrespective of what happened to mankind. His
view being that mankind, through their foolishness, may very well become extinct but we
shouldn't worry too much about the Earth as it will recover in time. He painted the
beautiful picture of an unadulterated earth of which man was no longer part.
The introduction to the film by a lady whose name I did not hear and who apparently
represented some organisation keen to publicise the Global Warming message whose
name I don't believe was stated, suggested that it showed the way in which small
communities could take their own action and thru these small beginnings across the globe
would grow a global solution. As it turned out very little of the film alluded to this
expectation that I had. In fact there was nothing that could have helped a small
community like Littleham to take any steps to make a difference. Whilst there were
oblique references to wind, sea, solar power and other so called green alternatives to
energy generation, there were no practical suggestions as to how these could be applied.
Sadly, I struggle to find any more positive comment to say about the experience, other
than perhaps to remark that I wasn't disappointed in the contribution from David Suzuki,
the environmental scientist. Apart from looking more and more like Confucious, his
contribution was easy on the ear and the brain, demanding as it always does, further
thought and consideration.
I know it is controversial, but where was any reference to nuclear power? Why was there
no detail about the "alternatives" that were so graphically presented such as the low
energy train? We saw it but we are no wiser as to how we get one or build one.
Apart from my patently obvious dislike for the film's content because of its failure to
deliver, as a piece of manipulative cinema I suppose it might have succeeded in a
perverse way - I can imagine many people coming from a showing, assuming they stayed
the distance, wanting to take the easy way out and end it all. Not quite what we want or
indeed, what I suspect the producers intended either.
Now had they suggested a community wind turbine of sufficient capacity to put into the
grid the equivalent number of kilowatts to those that which we in Littleham take out, then
I think I and many others might have come away with something constructive to think,
talk and act upon. If they had talked about electrolysers for our cars that would halve the
output of carbon dioxide and other noxious pollutants from our vehicles exhausts, then I
believe it would have sparked off some interest. If there had been suggestions for
communities regarding heat exchangers using low grade terrestrial heat to warm public
buildings, then we might have thought that there was something that we as a small
community or as individuals might do to make our contribution to a remedy. But sadly
there was none of this - or did I go to sleep?
Sir Lorn Stakes
Littleham
on 16 June 2008
This really is a film that needs to be seen by everybody, and urgently. We're destroying the planet and time is running out.

There has been much in the media about 'global warming' or pollution. But this film is the first I have seen to address all the issues at the deepest level, urging us to question not only the way we live, but the very fabric of our society and our level of consciousness regarding our relationship to the planet we are a part of.

We have to change now if we are to survive this century. This film is a brave attempt to face this. Many will want to bury their head in the ever expanding sand, and pretend this isn't happening. But we do this at our peril.

Watch this film.
on 15 June 2016
This is a really good documentary and needs to be watched by all.
on 22 January 2015
the 11th Hour is as good is as the other two I purchased
on 4 March 2016
Something everyone should see!
on 25 February 2015