on 7 April 2008
I took the decision to replace our old Toshiba 28" monster with this new LCD tv - I am over the moon with it! The picture is excellent, the sound is amazing too and the contrast ratio is better than most rivals - some of which are much more expensive. If you are looking for a decent LCD television you wont buy much better from this price range - go get one!!
on 14 November 2008
As usual with Amazon, great delivery, ordered on Sunday night, delivered 10am Tues.Free 1 months trail of Amazon prime)
Set up was really easy. Great picture quality and sound. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that it takes a while to switch channels(up to 12 secs from pushing the button to the channel selected having an info free screen). This is my first flat screen lcd tv so I emailed Toshiba, they replied within a couple of hours saying this was normal. It's a bit of a pain when channel hoppping but I can live with that.

After a few weeks of owning this TV, I've decided to add to my review. Still can't fault the picture/sound quality and the overall look of the TV, but the time taken to switch channels is starting to get a little annoying. Also, the response time when scrolling up/down in the "tv guide" is slow. Sometimes you think the tv hasn't received the signal, go to scroll again, then jump 2 places.
I don't know if this is normal(it would appear so, given the response from Toshiba) with these TV's, but if it is, it is a little dissapointing.
I would drop this down to 3 stars because of this but it appears that you can't adjust the star ratings.
on 3 November 2008
I purchased the item on Friday and by next day 10:00 saturnday it was delivered. It was very easy to assemble and install. Picture quality is amazing with no ghosting what so ever. The refresh is excellent. The sound only needed slight adjustment with an increase in bass for the Sky+ box. All other settings are ok. This product is absolute value for money and worth every penny. I didn't even have to change the setting on the all in one remote control as our old set was a 28" Toshiba CRT. I am very pleased with the product and if you are thinking of comparing this product with any other, the toshiba wins hands down.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2009
Installed my new Toshiba on the wall in my kitchen on Saturday, looks great! Unit is well finished and has a quality look to it, no tackey, shiney silver bits. Auto install worked well and picture quality is very good. Sound quality though, is dissappointing. Using the built-in speakers I was not expecting thumping bass and crisp treble, but even after adjusting all sound settings can't get away from the tinny sound even with the Bass Boost at maximum.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2008
I bought this in combo with a Philips DVP5980 - Multi-region capable DVD Player With 1080P Upscaling and HDMI. I mostly watch stuff on computer but wanted to get back to a TV/DVD setup - but didn't want to buy high end stuff at this stage. I have previously had CRT wide screens (32" Metz, Philips) and didn't expect this to measure up to CRT...

This also needs to be used by my 86 year old uncle so that had to be taken into consideration.

We are also in Norfolk with marginal Freeview reception so the dual tuner (this set can also do straight analogue reception) was also a consideration.

Ok that's the context.

As a 'comparatively cheap' 720p LCD TV this thing is great value (£350)!

First bonus - the freeview tuner is good enough to pick up most (not all) freeview channels from Sandy Heath it seems.

Second, remote is great for my Uncles use - on/off, channel up/dn, volume up/dn are the biggest most obvious buttons and should be as easy to use as 'old tv' remote (I tend to use my Logitech Harmony 785 Advanced Universal Remote - Universal remote control - infrared...)

Viewing wise - out of the box its as bright as hell and over saturated - it has plenty of adjustment - so you should be able to get a picture which pleases your eyes - plenty of contrast - daytime and nightime are both fine...

It really shines if you give it a good source - eg a music video via hdmi upscaling to 720p - crystal clear picture. Very little motion artifacts.

Third bonus, the sound out this tv is pretty amazing for internal speakers - so although I miss my old surround system like heck - this is a very good stereo alternative with ample volume.
on 31 October 2008
I procrastinated over which TV to get to replace our existing LCD - and I'm so glad I bought this!

The picture is superb to the point that instead of watching what was going on I was mesmerised by what poor skin the actors had! And the clothes that the actors were wearing looked as though I could just reach over and stroke the material.

It was really easy to set up as well although I was bemused trying to find where the aerial went as everything else was so clearly marked.

I'd recommend this TV to any of my friends.
on 27 May 2008
Got this TV over the bank holiday weekend (albeit from another supplier).

Sleek, minimalist design is perfect for a medium-sized living room. Set up was easy and the picture looks great through my V+ box.I fiddled about with the settings (found the default was a little too bright) but after a few minutes I had a really good picture.

Here's a quick rundown of the different sources I have tried:

PS3 - Have this running at 1080i and it looks amazing. Very clear and even though there's no 100Hz/24fps on this Tosh TV, it handles motion in games brilliantly. Colours stay sharp and there's no juddering at all. Tried a range of games including COD4, GT5p, PES and Burnout and all played superbly. I made sure RGB was set to Full on my PS3 and was very impressed with the blacks and contrast.

V+ - I recommend that you turn the sharpness down a little from the default settings, but otherwise SD pictures look great, especially on Setanta and BBC channels. Again, motion for sports such as football (I watched the French Cup Final between Lyon and PSG to test) is great, with no blurring - everything remains crystal clear.

DVDs - Anime looks fantastic upscaled on my PS3, as did Deathproof (even though it's shot with a 70s 'grainy' filter). Haven't tried a Blu Ray yet, but I'm sure it will look really good.

All in all a great TV. I'd been procrastinating for ages about which HDTV to buy, and I'm glad I finally went for the Toshiba 32AV505DB. The remote is well laid out and responsive, though the one thing I will say it that it is a dust-magnet! A small price to pay though.

A highly recommended HDTV, especially for the price (under £400 with a bit of looking and online voucher codes).
22 Comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2009
Didn't really know that much about LCD TVs but after owning a 28" CRT Toshiba TV for four years, thought my first port of call should be this trusted brand.

I purchased from Curry's (for £40 more but then again I wanted it the same day, on New Year's Eve), took it away and straight from the box was impressed.

Compared to a CRT the picture is different - LCDs tend to look a bit grainy - but running my Sky HD through it, the HD channels are fantastic and even the standard channels look good. I just upped the contrast a little and the sharpness and it looks brilliant.

The outputs on the rear are all clearly marked (except the aerial, which is underneath on the rear) and it worked first time with the Sky box, DVD player and my XBOX 360. The only thing I can't seem to do is properly run the TV through my surround sound system but I countered this by plugging the Sky box into the amplifier instead.

Picture on HD is amazing (as good as a £800 Sony that my mate has), as is the picture with my Xbox through the HD component leads. Very little in the way of blurring with quick movement etc (especially on games) and no more than I've seen on other TVs.

The gloss black casing is stylish, minimalist and subtle and looks great. The matt screen has a great angle of view too.

All in all, this was a great buy for under £400 and better than anything Sony or Samsung do for the same price.
on 3 December 2008
Excellent LCD.in this price range.Selling for much more money on the high street. I am very pleased with it.
But dont buy the Techlink TWM2 Wallbracket with it, because it wont fit.
on 3 February 2009
I checked all the websites and was very impressed with the spec of this TV. Delivery was superfast and the best suprise so to speak was in the box. The TV was everything I expected and more for the money. A superb pictures with plenty of inputs for my various other electronic devices. Picture refresh is great and I can't see any ghosting on the footie. This is the best priced LCD TV on the market 5 Stars.......