on 4 May 2015
This is a truly astonishing work of art.Abel Gances silent masterpiece traces the early years of Napoleon in one big epic sweep. Gance uses his camera to amazing effect whether it's the snowball fight when Napoleon was a boy or the remarkably fluent battle scenes which put you in the thick of the action.Then there is the triptych sequence where we see three different scenes at once predating Cinerama by about forty years.Albert Dieudonne portrays Napoleon with great verve and panache.There are several versions of this great movie available-the best being Kevin Brownlow's version which Channel 4 showed back in the early eighties- but this version is probably the best available on DVD.Truly the work of a genius. This is the first in my list of the 100 greatest movies of all time available on DVD.See what you make of my list-but i've one question-could you come up with a better top 100?
on 29 January 2018
I live in Italy.
I was looking forward to watching this long-awaited Bluray...
When I found it in the mail box I put it immediately on my player.
Even if I owe a multi-region DVD and Bluray player, which anyway should not be of use -since I live in a Region B-country (like the UK) - I wasn't able to watch it.
Deep disappointment...
Any useful advice from other customers or from Amazon itself would be welcome
on 28 March 2018
Sometimes ridiculous, sometimes unbelievably beautiful, this monumental unfinished masterpiece of a Bonapartist propaganda deserves its rightful place just alongside the Potemkin and the Birth of the Nation.

Excellent actors, especially Vladimir (Valdimir) Roudenko, who played Bonaparte as a boy.

Very, very, very long. The music by Carl Davis in such portions is somewhat unbearable.
The only slight criticism would be regarding a bit over the top use of colour filters, turning the image from purple to yellow and back..

Excellent overall...
on 16 October 2017
When watching this masterpiece of cinematic history, you must be mindful of the era it was filmed, If you do that, you'll be all the more mesmerised by what Abel Gance was able to accomplish and the genius it took to do so.
on 20 December 2017
Napoleon is one of the great motion pictures of all times. I commend the BFI for releasing this excellent package of the most up-to-date restoration of this film, and take note: this presentation includes the magnificent score by Carl Davis. Those of us in the United States can't get this version, as when Francis Ford Coppola bought the U.S. rights to present it, he had his father Carmine compose the score, and that is the only version available. This set was one of the reasons why I bought at all region player.
on 9 May 2017
Yes - great stuff. You have to get back into the theatrical gestures and mannerisms of the silent era, but once there, take the time to enjoy the amazing technique of story telling by pure image. You may need to be deprogrammed at the end, because Abel Gance will have gloriously hypnotized you into being a worshipper of Napoleon.
on 18 May 2017
Beautiful and surprisingly consistent picture quality, with an indefatigable audio commentator, who speaks knowingly for five and half hours.
on 6 April 2018
Classic
on 8 August 2017
I have a Korean version of Francis Ford Coppola's production of Mr. Brownlow.s restoration of Napoleon. I am very much looking forward to seeingjis definitive version but first I need to have it changed to a Region I copy. I can't wait.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 July 2015
B&W Silent with great musical score a must have