Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 March 2008
It was my Lucky Day when I received both reissues of Side Kicks and Into The Gap today and overall I have been impressed with the sound and the liner notes are quite extensive. I guarantee listening to this album and mixes again will be a trip down memory lane. It was worth it to have and hear tracks like Love Lies Bleeding. You just have to turn the volume up loud for the drum solo.

The biggest suprise about this deluxe reissue of Quick Step And Side Kick and totally unexpected is the fact that Love On Your Back is a quite radically different version to the one I have always known and have on vinyl. It has some indian sounding instrumentation during the intro and is overdubbed with a lot of various piano riffs throught the track. It also have an added keyboard or percussion sound in the outro. It makes the track sound even more experimental that it already was like Tom was just messing around on the piano. That track alone makes the cd worth getting because it is something new. I would even say that I think Lucky Day 12" ends in an ever so slightly different way. I am discovering new things all the time and that is part of the fun. So go on bring back your teenage years and give this one a listen.
on 13 February 2008
Back in the day, when i was starting high school, The Thompson Twins were my favourite pop group. My prize possessions were the cassette versions of this album and a year or so later, Into The Gap. Having the albums on cassette was a big deal, because they were special extended play editions, which meant that the first side of the cassette played the whole album and the second side contained extended versions & b-sides, which I absolutely loved with a passion. I've held off buying CDs to replace the cassettes as I've been hoping Arista would re-release the albums on CD in their special extended play editions. I didn't hold out much hope for this happening as TT compilation album followed similar compilation album. But blow me down if reissue company EDSEL haven't just gone and given me what i was wishing for, but actually exceeded my hopes with this release. I really am looking forward to hearing this again in decent sound quality, those cassettes are really showing their age.
on 8 March 2008
Really pleased that I picked this one up. I had the cassette version of this album back when it was first released, which had the remixes on the b-side of the cassette. I enjoyed those b-side tracks as much as the standard album itself and played the cassette so much it snapped! So, it's really fantastic to have all those 'bonus' tracks here (CD1 - tracks 11-16) plus there's a whole swag of single & 12" mixes too on the second disc.

It's worth pointing out that the sound quality of this album is really good too - noticeably better than the reissue a few years ago. I have also picked up a copy of 'Into the Gap' (by the same people who re-issued this) and reccomend that too.

I hope that 'Here's to Future Days' also gets the same treatment - great sound quality, original cassette remixes and a bonus CD of other remixes & b-sides. I would definitely buy it!
on 25 February 2017
Always liked a few of the Thompson Twins singles when they came out in the 80's. But never considered owning any of their Albums. Bought this with Into the Gap. And haven't been disappointed. Especially with these releases with the 2-CD sets with cassette remixes and 12" ones. Not stopped listening to them on my I-devices since. If you like their single releases would recommend these. Not bothered about their later albums, except big trash which I might get next if there is a Deluxe release made.
on 26 January 2016
Bought this several times on different formats. A brilliant album that was way ahead of it's time in terms of production technology and fashion. Fantastically written material! My favourite track being "If You Were Here". I was very pleased to receive it on yellow vinyl.
on 13 March 2008
When I spotted the reissue I rediscovered my old cassette to decide whether I wanted to buy, and immediately realised how good this album is! That's not to say all tracks are classic, but overall the mix of commercial singles and rather underground sounding album tracks makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts - and this reissue is great! The sound quality throughout is faultless (even through headphones) and its nice they were able to include the full original Cassette version on one disc. The second disc is full of all the extras you could ever wish for (even if the odd rarity may have been slipped through the net). The artwork is nicely done and at this mid-price it's a bargain, and perfect opportunity to enjoy this quirky outfit all over again. Maybe one day "Set" will also get a proper CD issue (remastered as well as this is).
this was the first big thompson twins album and ive only just got this rereleased version!

its a great 80's electronic album with more than a bit of class!

it features the singles "love on your side" and "lies" which are brilliant plus the wierd single releases "watching" and "we are detective" which i think are a bit too corny!and probably the worst songs on the album!!!

if you like "into the gap" you will love this is their second best album!

of the other tracks "if you where here" is beautiful and amazing, "kamikaze" is atmosheric and would fit well on "into the gap"!

"love lies bleeding" is good "all fall down" is as well!!!

plus you get 4 bonus tracks "lucky day" is a b-side and you can see why..the 3 remixes are a great inclusion!
on 23 April 2016
This is pure nostalgia for me, I used to love the Thompson Twins and this is my favourite album by them. The remix tracks are an added bonus (they were available before with the cassette release I believe)
on 6 November 2008
I first saw the Thompson Twins in 1981 or '82 (not really sure now!) after the release of their second album, "Set", and the moderate success of the "In The Name of Love" single, when the stage seemed to be overflowing with musicians. Fast forward to early 1983 (I think) and a free gig in Hitchin for the BBC's 'Live in Concert' (I had the video of the broadcast of that concert for years - and yes, you can see me!!), and that mass of band members had been reduced to just three!! And although I knew their sound was changing I was completely amazed and bowled over by the music they created that evening - songs that I would get to know really well a short while later through "Quick Step & Side Kick".

What a great album, the soundtrack of that year for me - so many great songs, and the added bonus of some marvellous remixes on the cassette version, my favourite always being "Love Lies Fierce" (and I wonder how many people, like me, bought both LP and cassette!). Over the months I built up an even bigger collection with the various different versions on the 12" inch singles. I was always disappointed that previous CDs had ignored many of the remixes, particularly those from the tape, so this 2CD set is a real treat. I probably haven't listened to the Twins for 20 years - and this albums sounds just as fresh to me now as it did all those years ago!!

"Quick Step" was the absolute pinnicle for the Thompson Twins for me, "Into The Gap" was OK but didn't quite cut it. After that I didn't really follow them, I was always interested to hear what they were doing but nothing for me matched those heady, post-Hitchin days!!
on 22 March 2008
You get:
1) the full album
2) all the remixes from the original cassette release (except LONG Beach Culture)
3) and bonus stuff

FANTASTIC!

Also check out the same format for INTO THE GAP.

***Message for the record label:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do the same for HERE'S TO FUTURE DAYS.......
(and while you are at it:
1- do the same thing for BIG TRASH
2- and the same thing for QUEER
3- release A PRODUCT OF.... and SET on a double CD
4- and you might as well do the same for BABBLE albums too...... we'll buy 'em all.