Customer reviews

on 4 February 2017
I have tried the game Jamaica a couple of times now with two different groups of people and with just two players, me and my wife. Looking back on it, I don't know why I tried so hard to like this game. Given how I felt about the game after the first go, I should have left it well alone. I'm honestly racking my brain trying to figure out why this has such high ratings. The game mechanics amount to nothing more than a painful exercise in random actions. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing exciting about playing this game whatsoever. Everyone I know who has played this, hates it. Hate is a strong word, and when I say they hate it, they really hate it bar my wife. She's a very positive person bless her. She described it as "Just a waste of time." And "Boring."

At a first glance it appears like there is some sort of resource management. WRONG! You have little to no control over what cargo ends up in your ship.

Then there is the movement system, which for what is billed a racing game you would think is all important. This is simply awful. You draw 3 cards which makes up your hand and you select which card to play that turn with a morning and evening action you must result. Once you factor in the randomness of drawing cards, plus the cost of some locations meaning that if you can't pay you go back to the next location that doesn't sting you, you end up with a movement system that's simply painful to play.

I understand randomness in games can be very fun. But the game has to be in itself fun. My opinion, but this game this is not.

If you like the sort of game where 5 turns later you are still in the same place on the board (even though you have moved about quite a bit) and you have had to replace your collection of varied and useful tokens for a heap of only one type which will make things much harder, then you will absolutely love this. In all three games I played every player came away with this scenario as the only memory they took from the game which for me was not good. The comments I got from everyone was stuff like "I never want to see that again." or "When we are having a games night at mine, don't bring that."

On the plus side, the game is beautiful to look at with lovely artwork and components, and the rules are extremely easy to pick up. I just think that in todays market of fantastic boardgames, this just doesn't cut it. I could understand it being released 20 years ago, but not now. I have owned this for just 7 days, but after 3 plays it's going on Ebay or the bin if it gets no takers.

After my last attempt at this I needed a heavy session of Carcassonne to get me back on track again. I doubt anyone out there will be looking at this and Carcassonne, and weighing up which of the two they will go for. BUT if on the off chance anyone is..... Go for Carcassonne for heavens sake. In fact, go for any game over this.
on 6 October 2015
Jamaica is a very enjoyable game, lovely artwork on the cards, board and tokens, however the playing pieces being plastic cheapen the feel of the game a little bit. The mechanic and theme are good and gives it great replay ability, but sometimes if the cards and dice roles don't go your way you can end up a long way behind and it is then very difficult to catch up.

If you like racing style games I would definitely recommend this as a fun medium length game, it takes up to an hour with 6 players, however It may lack depth for some.
on 11 April 2016
This game is great, really simple but there's you never know what's going to happen. Kind of reminds me of Camel Up in a way, as you're racing around a track but can go back and forward. Watch a video play through and you'll be sold on this.

Bonus points for amazing artwork and one of the best game boxes in my collection.
on 15 April 2014
Great family game, easily understood and enjoyed by my 6 year old daughter. Simple but still very fun even after loads games
on 31 August 2014
An easy game to introduce people to with a hidden depth and complexity to the basic game play. playing the right card at the right moment or the dice the right way around can make all the difference. As a side note the box is a board game fans dream, with separate slots for every component. one of if not the best game to pack away!
on 6 February 2014
The game is still fantastic BUT...if you are looking for the Asmodee version this listing is not it.

The listing is for the Gameworks version and although the game is the same the box is not. The box you will receive is the one with all of the cartoon characters on it.

The box looked better as a chest in my opinion but it doesn't affect the game.
review image
on 28 June 2017
I'm now thinking of all the ways to use these awesome products Amazing product and fast service. it has a good cost performance. Just what I was looking for!I've just received this today and was very excited to use it right away. Very easy to use, and works excellently!I love it! High quality! great, I m buying a second one
on 25 April 2016
Amazingly fun game - easy to learn and pick up with enough strategy to keep everyone interested and re-playable. even my 6yr old participated - she loved the theme of pirates was bothered about the actual winning but loved to stay ahead and the battle. Definitely one for family fun. For Hard core gamers probably a couple of house rules to firm up the game - like fighting all ships rather than one on the square and use the ghost ship whether 2 player or more - to make it more cut-throat
on 22 February 2014
From the box, to the rules, to the components, everything in this game is beautifully produced. Simple resource management mechanisms, simple combat, the race and, of course, treasure hunting, all combine to create a fine game.
on 2 November 2016
Me and my friends love playing this game. It's fairly simple to pick up and play but can have a strategic element for more intense board gamers. The quality of the product is excellent. The playing cards are illustrating amazingly, in fact everything has a really great look. The game does have a few more intricate rules which can crop up, but generally easy to play and not too long either.

See one answered question