on 8 January 2010
We are addicted to this odd little game. It punctuates our lives - "let's go out-one more game of mapominoes-okay-we ought to do the washing up-one more game..." I'm sure it is educational - I can tell you all the borders and flags of every two bit little country in Europe (And Afica!)but it does lead you into slightly dangerous conversations - I've managed to accidentally offend people of different nationalities eg "I hate Bulgaria I always get it mixed up with Hungary and forget it'll go on Turkey" or "Croatia's okay but Serbia's much better you can get anywhere from there..."

If you like tactical games and enjoy patterns you will find this game an absolute gem. You will get stupidly addicted, understand why the mere mention of San Marino, Malta or Swaziland makes me miserable and then buy all the other continents and dream of getting enough of your (slightly sceptical) friends into it so you could play a whole world game and still be able to hold your cards.
on 1 December 2009
Bought on the "off-chance", this game has proven to be a major hit. Very simple rules mean that it is quickly understood by anyone but no two games are alike and my friends and I have often commented on how each game has its own evolution as the way the board moves. I can't wait to buy the "new" continents of Africa and Asia.

My only criticism is that the cards aren't waterproof.
on 7 January 2009
Mapominoes shows us all up for what we really are, know-it-alls who actually don't.
You thought you knew Europe? What countries border Luxembourg? and where exactly is Lichtenstein? I'll bet you not quite as sure as you think.

You will be after playing this game, there is an Asia/Australasia version (which joins up for table defying fun), and its okay to not know how many countries border Idonesia - but France? We should know, but playing this game proves we don't!

Good fun, lasts just long enough to make you want to play again, and means you have to clear the table - all great reasons to buy Mapominoes!
I came by this game by accident, but am glad that I did. It's a version of dominoes where, instead of dots, the links are made by borders between European countries. To that extent it is a very easy game to learn and, of course, educational. The rules are set out on what is, in effect, half an A4 sized sheet of paper. The rest of the rule sheet contains a map of Europe for reference.

It can also be fiendishly difficult to play, especially if your hand contains cards for countries that have very few (sometimes only one) border. So if you're dealt Denmark or Monaco - or even one of the island states such as Malta - the card can be a nightmare to lay.

One of its other benefits is that it can be played anywhere where there is a flat surface. Because of the exigencies of play, it can often happen that the map of Europe that results bares only a scant resemblance to the real thing! But there is some good educational result, especially with the new configuration of the Balkans to consider: at least I now know where Bosnia-Hercegovina is situated!

The box is handy enough to fit easily into any small bag, so the game can be carried wherever you go.
on 28 December 2010
We got a lot of travel-themed games this year and this is our favourite. It took minimal time to learn and is easy to get out for a quick game. Hard to stop, though, as you want to play one more game, and then one more, ....

Fascinating, too, as you keep realising how geographically pivotal say, Germany and Serbia are.... makes you think about modern history a lot! We will probably be buying other continents too as it's quite addictive!

Very good value for money, highly recommended.

Only quibble: why do France and the UK not 'share a border'? You *can* get from one to the other very easily -- and they even have their immigration/passport control people on each other's soil, that's a pretty good indication!
on 4 February 2016
Bought it as a family game for Christmas, and like the idea, but the rules are quite complicated, and we have never managed to finish a game as the 8 and 10 year olds get bored very quickly. Adults aren't over impressed either. I suspect it will languish on a shelf now for a while, and then go to a Charity shop.
on 7 December 2015
This is an awesome game. I've played it with friends and family, all of whom loved it.

It's a clever game, despite needing little to no prior knowledge of countries and borders (they are written on the cards).

You need quite a lot of table space, but we did play this on a camping table - challenging!

I would buy this again, and as gifts. Fantastic game for all ages and abilities.
on 8 February 2011
The original version of Mapominoes which will find you saying 'oh no not Iceland again'!! A great card game for all the family. No geography knowledge required as all the info is on the cards - so potential for learning if you so desire!
I recommend this to anyone looking for a new card game.
on 18 February 2015
it is a great way to discover the countries; my 4 year old loves looking at the maps and asking about places we have already visited; the mapomino may be a bit too much for him yet but he certainly can recognize some flags already
on 26 December 2014
Need to know your geography, good game when played with three or four or more. Not so good for those of us who remember the atlas being mainly pink, those were the days, if you are under 60 that remark will be lost on you.