Format: DVD|Change

on 30 June 2008
I used this DVD throughout my pregnancy. Tara's a great teacher. Top Tip: try the relaxation section when in labour, I did and actually chilled out enough to 'skip' some contractions. I was also back in pre-pregnancy jeans within 5 weeks. It took 5 months first time round with no DVD!
on 1 July 2008
Absolutely brilliant. I'm new to yoga (and pregnancy), and was previously a yoga-sceptic, but i am delighted with this DVD and have been pleasantly surprised. Tara is a great teacher, and the exercises get you feeling strong, supple and distinctly non blimp-like (a hazard of pregnancy). I'm hoping this continues to be a great help during the coming months and through labour.
on 8 April 2009
As someone who has been going to yoga classes for a year or so before I fell pregnant, I was looking for a DVD of yoga that was suitable for pregnancy, rather than one to prepare me for the birth. This has been my favourite DVD so far (the Buddhabellies being a fairly close second) as the full practise is a good challenge, but has lots of suggestions for modifications and easier options for those who are less experienced or in later stages of labour. There's also lots of added extras for relaxations, preparation for labour and work with a partner - meaning that the focus of the main practise is the yoga rather than pregnancy and labour (although they are mentioned) which are focused on separately.
on 31 March 2009
I had never done yoga before buying this DVD. I started getting back pain at about 20 weeks, and so I bought this DVD and practised it almost every morning and found it extremely useful, because my back was always sore and stiff when I got up in the morning. The relaxation techniques are really valuable and the visualisation is great to practice to help put you into a positive frame of mind for the birth.
on 9 January 2009
I think that this DVD is actually quite disappointing. The yoga is fine but does not flow very well. I completed the first (70 minute) practice several times, but always felt it was a bit disjointed and didn't flow very well, after each pose or two it stopped and said on a screen the name of the next pose or sequence. This stop/ start is quite irritating.

And then yesterday I realised WHY it stops and starts so much. I thought I would try the 40 minute 'restorative yoga' in the evening. It turns out just to be a cut and paste from the 70 minute practice. Same with the 'breathing' and 'relaxation' section. I thought I would have a look at the 'ailments' section - yes, just more cut and paste from the first 70 minute practice. I haven't looked but am sure that the 'preparation for labour' section is the same - just some of the same film of the 70 minute section.

I also have Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga DVD and the flow of that is MUCH better, it has only three sections, warm-up, standing poses and floor work, and you move in a FLOW between postures and feel much more restored and energised afterwards as opposed to Tara Lee's very disappointing stop/ start approach.
on 26 April 2009
I am 27 weeks pregnant and have just started using this DVD. I would highly recommend it. Tara Lee is a brilliant teacher and her being pregnant during the making of the DVD definitley encourages you. The music is lovely and relaxing. The different Yoga stretches work your whole body but you do it in such a way that you don't feel unbalanced or like you're damaging yourself. Baby was happily kicking me throughout the relaxation which I loved because it gives you a strong connection with them and not only do you feel like you're working your own body out but you feel like it's benefiting the baby too.
on 3 September 2011
This is a good yoga work out but would be better if there was more modification in postures for each trimester (hence, my rating). Any postures that required me to bend all the way to the floor, I used a chair. I would advise you also try Shiva Rea's Prenatal practice (do this one first), which is also a great DVD and both really compliment each other. It has modified postures for each trimester. If I remember rightly, there is a modified downward dog and modifications of other postures in Shiva's DVD that Tara also teaches. Then, if you want more of a work out and more of a stretch you can do Tara's postures, getting the full benefit of a good practice without harming yourself by using the modifications learnt from Shiva. The lunges are also explained very quickly in Tara's DVD and I wondered if my DVD had gone into fast forward at this point. If I had tried to keep up, I would have done myself an injury. I used a chair to lean on in between lunges (learnt from Shiva).

I really enjoy doing both DVDs and Shiva's is a good DVD for beginners(it flows well and stiff, short hamstringed people who have not done yoga in 3-4 years will benefit greatly). Tara's DVD is slightly more advanced and you are not going to hurt yourself if you have already practised yoga before. If there is something you can't do (I found the balancing and tree postures nearly impossible) then don't do them. As a good yoga teacher will tell you- "honour your body". You should not feel in any pain when you have finished a practice but I definitely feel I can breath more naturally afterwards.

I think I may be taking my yoga mat and a few extra pillows to hospital with me. All in all, a good DVD. Buy both!
on 1 November 2011
I've been doing the full practice at least a couple of times a week since about 10 weeks (I'm now nearly 30 weeks).
I absolutely love it - it feels like such a treat to give myself the time to complete it - not least because it has the magic effect of making me feel really 'unpregnant'! It's both energising and relaxing, and makes breathing and moving so much easier.
By the time you get to the more energetic stuff (standing poses, down dogs, asanas etc) you've really got your flow and the whole thing flies by.
The shorter practice (40 mins) is also well worth doing if you're feeling a bit lazier/ less inclined.
Knowing that I can do this - and keep doing it, throughout the pregnancy - has made me feel much stronger and more confident of my body's capabilities. It's great - I've been recommending it to my preggy friends.
My petty gripes would be: I'm not a big fan of the meditation section (I prefer to use a separate hypnobirthing CD), and I'd prefer a longer relaxation section.
on 15 September 2008
Tara Lee has created a DVD that is for everyone. Being a prenatal yoga teacher myself, it is obvious that she is a very well trained teacher. What strikes me most is how loving and nurturing her DVD is for pregnant women, which is so important during these busy lives we lead. As I am on my second pregnancy its hard to get to a class, however Tara Lee's DVD keeps me fit, healthy, prepares my body for the birth and most importantly helps me bond with my baby. Tara's grace and loving energy keeps you calm and centered. The breathing and the relaxation are fantastic, a must for everyone on the rollercoaster ride of pregnancy and motherhood. You will not regret buying this DVD and it will be one that you will keep to remind you of those special moments you had whilst keeping fit and bonding with the little miracle that was inside your belly.Melissa
on 16 December 2010
Having been practising yoga for years and being really into my classes I was convinced that I wouldn't find an at home substitute - especially something that would keep my interest and give me a decent work out without being too intense. I ordered everything I could find!! This DVD really is in a class of it's own .... it's slick and professional, the music is great, Tara Lee is calm, explains things really well and is not at all irritating to watch or listen too (unlike most of the other DVDs) the sections and sequencing are spot on .... you feel stretched out AND relaxed. DEF the best preg DVD on the market and great for newbies or yoga nuts alike. If your confused by all the choice take my advice and buy this one ONLY ... all the others will end up in the charity shop bag......