on 12 February 2012
I bought this as a used product, the reomote control is great and works very well, the unit iself is quite small and sits out of site on top of my suuround sound system. The optical output is better than the RCA analogue one for sound. The Squeezbox server software works well enough but it's a pity that you need it at all, it would be better if it could just see a network drive and play from it, as it is you need a Netgear one with the server software on it.
The format support is very good, it's able to play MP3, FLAC and Apple.

Overall, a great product.
on 14 August 2008
I've owned Squeezeboxes for a little while now, but thought I'd wait a while before opting for the Duet, which I installed last week. After using it thoroughly over the past few days, I'm ready to review it. And it's a cracker!

First things first, the Duet works with your existing Squeezebox. If you already own one, then you just need to buy the controller - not necessarily both the controller and the squeezebox streamer (unless you want two Squeezeboxes - for example in two rooms).

I read the review that said that range was reduced (from the Squeezebox 3), and I just can't duplicate that at all. The controller operates via WiFi, so if you get a WiFi signal, then it's 'in range'. I wandered all over my house, into areas where windows reports the signal as 'poor' on my laptop, and the Duet controller worked just fine.

I also think that the reviewers who said this wasn't 'plug and play' do have a point - but then again, I have yet to come across a media streamer that is. In audiophile terms, the Burr-Brown DAC of Squeezebox is vastly superior to that used by the 'competition', and there are now customisers who can fit power supplies with audiophile components if you want to raise the quality to that esoteric 'golden ears' category - but it sounds just fine to me 'as is'.

The unit has a built-in wifi connection, and a 2.5" colour screen that really frees your music. It's like using your ipod to choose the music, but your HiFi playing it.

As before, there are essentially two seperate programs in the firmware. 1. You can stream media from any PC in your home and connect to web radio using Squeeze Centre (Last FM, ShoutCast, Live 365, Radio IO, Radio Time - which gets you local radio throughout the world and - for a payment of around £30 - Live 365 gives you 1000's of custom radio stations).
2. You can connect to web radio directly (without switching on your PC) through SqueezeNetwork.
3. You switch between the two in 'Settings', by choosing 'Music Source'.

To set up, you'll need a bit of organisation. Before doing anything, it's an idea to register with LastFM, Radio Time, and Live 365 free (or Premium with a payment). The web addresses are [...] [...] and [...] You also need to get the WEP or WPA key for your wireless network. Once you have login IDs and passwords, then go to slimdevices (who make the squeezebox) [...] and download SlimServer. Install this, create an account, and store your passwords for the stations that you just obtained. Then, you switch on Squeezebox and enter your wireless key - you're away.

In operation, I found it great. I had already given my music appropraie album art, and Squeezebox duet shows this on the controller, along with the time, RSS feeds etc. There have been two crashes since I bought it - one of which needed me to remove the battery and start again. It's a pain, but not the end of the world - and i have used it for much of the time (I'm on holiday for these two weeks).

Overall - very highly recommended. If you own a Squeezebox then you should go for it. If not, then be methodical and organised and it should all work just fine. The sound quality is great, the graphics excellent, and the unit feels high quality to me (in a metal-and-piano black holder that is very well-made. And you can download extras from the Slim Devices community - but I'd make sure your unit works well and is stable before doing that.

In short - don't hesitate - buy one. It's a fraction of the price of a Sonos (the only real competition)!
77 Comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2009
I love my new Logitech Squeezebox Duet system. It took a little time to set up but after I had got my software firewall issues fixed it worked like a dream. In fact i'm so pleased with it I purchased an additional receiver unit for another room. I also use my iPhone with software from the Apple App Store to act as a handy second control unit (though for those of you with an iPhone already and tempted to just get a reciever ... don't do it - the Squeezebox control unit that comes with the Duet systems is well worth it!).

My set up is as follows:

- 1x Logitech Sqeezebox control unit (comes with the Duet system)
- 2x Logitech Squeezebox receivers (1x comes with the Duet system - I purchased the other seperately)
- Receiver ONE is in my sitting room and is connected to a Logitech Z-2300 THX Certified speaker system
- Receiver TWO is in my conservatory and connected via Powerline Ethernet (i.e. over my home electricity system from the router) as Wifi didn't work - works great though!
- Music is stored on the hard-drive of my home computer in WMA format (typically 192kbps) and MP3 format (typically 320kbps) - approx 400 albums all work great
- Belkin MIMO Wireless G+ ADSL Router
- Standard BT ADSL 512k internet connection
- McAfee Firewall / Security Center
- Microsoft Vista

The bottom line: the benefits I value most are a) the outstanding sound quality and b) the ease of use of the Logitech Squeezebox Duet system once you have it up and running. Squeezebox doesn't play DRM protected music though so keep this in mind before purchasing. In conclusion, if you are into your music and have a large collection this is great value for money. Buy it!

UPDATE AUGUST 2010
I have now changed my home set-up and have moved to an iMac. The set-up was seamless and Logitech Squeezebox on the Mac works great. The only problem I had (and it was a big one entirely of my own making) was that most of my music files were in WMA which doesn't work well on the Mac. I had to change all the files to MP3 320kbps Variable Bit Rate. Now all music is perfect.

Still highly recommended.
on 5 December 2008
I already had a Squeezebox 3 and was delighted with it's audio performance and excellent integration with my ITunes held library of around 22.5k tracks.

I have added a Duet.

The Duet is a great concept and a quality piece of kit. However, stability of the software has been an issue on the Duet and I am still frequently embarrassed by pauses and inexplicable track jumps. Reading the forums it is clear that I'm not alone and you should bear in mind that this product still leaning towards the enthusiast market. It's a long way from plug 'n play.

It is also worth noting that my remote's charging unit exploded three weeks ago (literally flash, bang... smoke). Three weeks on and I'm still waiting for a replacement. Logitech's support facility and speed of response is VERY slow. Emails and phone calls typically receive empathy and apology but a clear lack of joined up systems and ability to sort out a simple replacement.

Would I buy? Yes, but only if you have some PC and networking knowledge.
This is a nice bit of kit, but with smartphones able to offer apps the remote section hasn't aged well. The screen is small and the controls are a bit of a fiddle. The actual streaming box works really well, providing you have the Squeeze server installed on a PC/NAS. Sound quality is great and when paired with a smartphone with the controller app you can hide the receiver out of site and pack the bundled remote away.

You do get access to a lot of web content, with my NAS (ReadyNas Duo) I was unable to make use of Spotify, which was a real shame.
on 16 May 2010
I've tried a few other "Streaming" devices but this is the best.

Others were integrated Hi-Fi type and weren't quite up to the standard I'd hoped for.
I have a problem with a lot of gadgets today, in that they promise loads and never quite deliver everything I expect them, which means I more often than not just have to put up with their failings.

Not with the Squeezebox. This works. Simple as that. It does everything it should and it does it well.

Setup might not be straight forward for everyone, but I would suggest that's normally because not everyone has the same home network set-up so I wouldn't say that is Logitech's fault.
If you have problems, look at the support on the website and ask a question in the Squeezebox forums. It can normally be answered fairly quickly.

I've configured mine to use mixed mode network, that is Ethernet for the actual player box and wireless for the controller.
Had to change my wireless network settings slightly but again I think that is how I'd configured the wireless originally and not Logitech's fault.

Streams all my music (including Lossless formats such as FLAC and WAV) which is a massive plus for me and one of the reasons I never got on with the other players I'd tried.
Also got it configured to run off a NAS box which again works flawlessly.
Internet radio works great and there is a massive choice of stations.

One of my favourite features is the integration with the BBC iPlayer so you can listen to your favourite programs when you want.

Once again, the Squeezebox does exactly what it says on the tin and it does it very well.
on 5 September 2011
I love this product.

I love it quite simply because I can bring my music collection stored on my PC to my hi-fi separates.

Those who use hi-fi separates know why they do. For the best audio quality...

The steps for bringing your music collection to your hi-fi:
1. Install the Squeezebox server on your PC (ideally a PC that is always on)
2. Tell it where your music is (only limitation I can see is it only scans one folder, I did this before my duet arrived)
3. Plug receiver in and turn on the control. If you have MAC address filtering on your wi-fi network you will have to add these to your trusted devices. If you do have this I recommend you look at the MAC address which is underneath the receiver(s) and add to your router/wi-fi accordingly. For the remote the MAC address is printed on the inside where the battery goes in, so take note of this before you put the battery in. Somehow the controller must have another way of talking to the receiver as when you give the controller your Wi-Fi connection details it tells the receivers. Magic!!!
4. You may get a software update, so go along with it
5. It has got in touch with the server (Your PC with music on)
6. Play and enjoy

Bearing in mind these boxes purely play via wi-fi, I have never noticed a glitch yet. And the PC that feeded it infact crashed once yet the music played until the end of the track, so it must buffer the whole track into it's own memory. This would explain why it never breaks up.

I also bought an extra receiver and had them play in sync with each other and I was also amazed with that because I've had experiences of one being out of sync with the other in the past. I don't get that with the squeezebox, or at least it's so minute that I don't notice it.

Only downside is (not a downside of the product).......... MP3 isn't amazing purely because it's a lossy compression. 128kbs is awful when you compare it to something like FLAC. Yes, you can rip your CD's to FLAC. This device natively plays FLAC which is a lossless audio format yet also compressed. If an audio track is 5 mins, it's about 50Mb in it's raw state but about 25-30Mb in FLAC.

I have started re-ripping my CD's to FLAC purely for the quality of the audio.

But forget that... This is an amazing product that will bring your music collection to your Hi-Fi and the quality is amazing. It has a 24-bit Digital to Analogue converter.

Oh I forgot about the remote.... It's like an ipod with album art, etc and allows you to control multiple devices. One thing about the ipod is that you can plug it into a dock at the other side of the room and not see what it's playing. With this you're holding an ipod like device in your hand so can see what it's playing but it's playing through your Hi-Fi system.

I really recommend this product
on 20 November 2012
I used to work in IT and did quite a lot to do with wireless networking. I was pretty good at it too so I kind of hoped I'd have no problem with getting the Logitech Squeezebox up and running. We have a wireless network at home with wireless storage, internet radios and tablets, laptops, PCs and an iMac that all work pretty well together on it. But not the Squeezebox. Oh no. We have one controller and two receivers which should sync up and play the same music at different ends of the house. Believe me, it's easier getting a wormer pill into the cat than getting this thing onto the network. And like the cat, once you think it's all done and dusted, it spits it out time and time again until you're nearly in tears. If you do get it on the network, it then won't find the music library. You then have to reboot the router and the Squeezebox controller and restore factory settings several times and then, suddenly and unexpectedly, it plays some music. In celebration, you look at the controller which is still displaying several screens behind what's actually happening so you press a button and it reverts to its feline ways and gobs the settings back up onto the floor and runs away leaving you scarred and angry. Eventually, when you've stopped crying, you go back to it calmly, restart the entire process and several hours later, you get it to play some music but by then it's bed time and the rest of the household tell you to turn it off. In the morning you turn it on again and, guess what, no network. So you reboot everything. After another 2 hours, it plays some music again so you put the controller down really carefully and go and tell your wife you've done it and ask when your medal ceremony will be. On the way to tell her though, you notice that the other receiver which worked yesterday without issue is slowly winking a red light at you telling you it's not even going to get out of bed today. Nothing has changed overnight, it's just decided to give up. So you look online and there are just endless forum threads of people with the same problem. Logitech don't appear to have improved it no matter how many updates they send. But you remember, this system cost you over £400 and should work. What's more, Dullboy and his wife are coming for dinner and they're the smug type who have the latest and best of everything and you know you should rise above it but you also know that they can't stream music round their house so, if only you can get the Logitech up and running, that would wipe the stupid, smug grin off their faces. So, with Zen-like calm, you start again. Four hours later, both receivers are on the network, both can see the library and the controller screen has even updated the menu with a "Sync Receivers" option. You try it, and it works! Awesome. Choose the right play list and away you go. Just don't let anyone touch it. Dullboy and wife arrive and briefly exchange pleasantries before telling you how many houses they could afford to buy in your neighbourhood if only they felt safe leaving their precious new Audi ungaraged. You make a thinly veiled excuse to change the current track and demonstrate that yes, look, the same music is playing all over the house. You enjoy the look of confusion on Dullboy's smug face as to how you actually possess something they don't and ignore the comment that they're looking into the Bang and Olufsen system but are wondering if it's compatible with the Bose they have in the bathroom (yes, bathroom!) and flick the currently playing track on to then next one feeling a bit clever that, finally, for the first time ever, the Logitech is working. The battle and the war is won. You sit there listening politely to Dullboy's boring stories about golf and how his new set of golf bats cost him "more than you earn in a month" and wonder at how he knows and when saying that became acceptable (oh, it didn't, did it?) and drift off into your own thoughts while nodding like a donkey until you realise something's wrong. Dullboy's fuzz of conversation suddenly appears to be the only noise in the room. There's no music. It's gone. You look at the Logitech and it's winking a red light at you. Or is it purple? Or yellow or green or white? And is that a slow flash or a fast flash? And what do the lights mean again? And where's the music? And how do you stop Dullboy noticing? And then your wife enquires as to the whereabouts of the music. And then the cat comes in and rubs against Dullboy's wife's leg causing her to have to go outside to the Audi for her allergy pills to stop her needing A&E "within minutes". You approach the Logitech in full view of Dullboy and pretend you know what you're looking at when in reality you have no clue if it's the iMac, the music library, Squeezebox server, the network, a receiver, the controller, all of the above, one of the above, some of the above or none of the above. The only thing you suspect is that Dullboy is secretly very happy and goes on about how the Bang and Olufsen system does cost so much more than the Phillips Streamium and maybe that would be compatible with the Bose and how he's never heard of 'Loggy-teck'. You give up, play music straight off the iMac and go to get more drinks. One of which you spit in.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2011
After many bad reviews i thought i might jump to the Duets defence.

I ordered mine elsewhere but set up in about 30 mins.
I have a buffalo linkstation, netbook and router providing the link to music.
Al this is set up out of the way (running VNC veiwer to remotely check on netbook)

The squeezebox receiver is connected via wireless through 2 walls ( router is a Linksys WRTG54GR)from the start it worked perfectly streaming internet radio without drop outs.
My music collection extends to over 100,000 tracks so the scanning of files to add to the squeezebox library took about 10Hrs.
I have been playing around with the controller asking it to play different music from different sources all day and it has not failed to please.
Given the size of my music library and reports of the controller being slow i found it to be ok, its never going to be lightning fast as its working over Wifi
on 22 March 2009
A very easy to use, good great looking product that can be set-up and configured in around 1 hour.

All you need is your network WEP or WAP details handy, your pc switched on and you can send music from your PC to your hi-fi in no time.

The only draw back to this product is that unless you subscribe to Logitechs music locker you have to have your pc on when you want to listen to something on your hard drive.

I would rather turn my pc on than mess around looking for a CD.