on 17 March 2008
The camera itself is superb, the picture quality is unbelievable....superb picture and also comes with other settings like cine and you can programme the camera to 25 Frames like you see at the cinema. This is the best camera I have ever bought, all easy connections and works very well with Pinnacle Studio 11 and Adobe Premiere CS3. Use of the Firewire ports no problems with any connection. Has a shoe for external mic & also video light if you want. I bought the HiDef tapes with this and all is great.
on 3 July 2009
After buying a Sony HD camcorder which uses AVHCD, which hd material cannot be recorded on to convention dvd, I decided to go back to Canon and DV tape. Yes, as good as Sony regarding the HD picture but slower to start up from cold (the Sony had a 80 gb hard disc). Going back to dv tape means I can also play my old dv tapes from my previous Canon. Very good still pics even if only 3mp.

Dave Brown
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 16 October 2008
Excellent camera, the quality of the footage is really good!
I filmed a wedding a few weeks ago in Standard Definition and the quality is outstanding - considerably better than my 18 month old hard drive JVC camcorder and doesn't have the sound and picture sync problem!
I have filmed a few things in HD and have outputted the footage to my Mac in iMovie 6/iMovie HD. The picture quality is excellent in both Standard Definition and High Definition, especially HD, it's like real life!
3 minutes of HD footage was about 3GB in hard drive space so it does suck up space so don't upload too much too quick unless you have a sizeable hard drive.
As for the camera, it's really good but there is some noticeable tape noise. If you're at the bowling alley or a party or evening reception at a wedding you will not notice it but anywhere quiet like the wedding ceremony itself you will hear it. I purchased the Rode Video mic at the same time as buying this camcorder and it's amazing what a difference it has made. I have a previous Canon camcorder MV6iMC I think they call it (it has since broken), which I bought in 2004 and it had tape noise, maybe it's a Canon DV problem but the quality of the footage is amazing on this camcorder, definately worth the money.
My sister is right and I hate it when she is but she always tells me you get what you pay for!
on 16 August 2008
Having spent many months looking around for a new camcorder I required great picture quality, full HD, more semi pro but without the cost. In the end I went for the Canon HV30. HD image quality is great even in low light conditions. You can shoot video, still (onto mini SD card) or both at same time. Shooting stills is adequate but you are not really buying a camcorder to shoot stills. There are a host of connections and software tweaks for more pro use. These features are let down by a manual that is hard to use and understand so you can get frustrated. I use my HV30 with edius and it works well although you will need to buy a firewire cable (£5). I'm not sure why the reviewer below complains about this? Remember, shooting in HD requires more information and a good PC is needed. I'd recommend a system running a 3GHz Dual Core with 2 GB memory. Anything below and you will run into problems editing. DV tape still gives you the best quality but is not so easy for some. I've heard the UK version of the HV30 has picture problems when shooting in SD although why buy a HD camcorder to shoot in SD? I've edited a lot of my SD tapes via the HV30 with no problem. Overall, maybe the best camcorder for image quality in this price range, a host of features, HDV tape not as easy to edit, poor manual. Amazon are doing this camcorder at an excellent price.
on 6 March 2013
"Bear in mind this camera (HV30) has not been produced since 2009" was what Canon UK service said when I complained about their poor performance. And now I know why!
The camera was fine for both sound and image quality, up to the point after only 24 months when the control board gave up the ghost. I had to buy a quick replacement: well, surprise surprise, it only lasted 24 months before the sound and the main board gave out. Cannot recommend £600-worth of camera that only filmed 2 weddings and 2 holidays before failing totally. Actually not strictly true: I can use one if I do not open the screen element, and so I can use it locked-off at an event using only the tiny viewfinder.
on 17 June 2009
Bought this camera last month, as I'm starting my own video business. Simply stunning pictures, played back through my HD TV. I have transferred the footage in HDV via a firewire cable, edited the footage and burnt the project to a Blu-ray disc. I can't see any difference between the raw camera footage and the edited Blu-ray vers. Amazing!
Even if you don't have a Blu-ray drive, the standard def results are pretty sharp too. I went for the HDV vers. rather than AVCHD as It's older but proven tech.
It's good buy it!!
on 30 December 2009
I've used one of these for near on two years. We're shooting a movie on it and the widescreen and cine settings are outstanding. I shot my last film on a Bolex H16-RX5 at great expense and had to find an alternative to film. HDV was suggested to me and I purchased the Cannon HV-30. The image quality is the same as very high end 16mm film stock. I use Prem pro cs3 to alter the gamma to film light and tweek here and there. It has been possible to get results closer to 35mm motion picture film with this camera.The image is more than acceptable for digital transfer to film stock if your planning some sort of theatrical event for your low budget film.
HDV has solved all my film cost issues, and by using HDV tapes from Canon I can retake shots without cranking up the bill. The canon HV-30 Is the camera for a serious semi or pro film maker I can't recommend it enough. There is footage on youtube called THE BLOOD TRAILER this will show you what can be created with this camera and it's exposure settings and such. Although the MPEG 2 Lets down picture a little, but not much. Buy this camera if you want big results for a one off large fee for purchase.Best camera I've ever had in all my years as a film maker.
on 9 December 2014
I am an amateur filmmaker learning about production who decided to buy this on a recommendation. It's great! Don't fall for the trap of buying DSLRs not designed for video. Buy a camcorder like this if you really want to learn about filmmaking and then rent out a Red Epic when you're ready to get more serious.
on 3 December 2014
In perfect order.
on 5 November 2008
I am so annoyed with trying to capture the footage I recorded that I have not actually anything to say.