on 1 December 2014
Didn't realise it was too seperate docu's, thought that was the name of 1 thing. Steep yeah ok, i'm not into skiing, just watch it because i'm into similar stuff. Then switched to Blizzard. Wow, just wow. I can see what all the fuss is all about even 25+ years after it was made
on 13 May 2009
Steep is a must see for any Big Mountain ski fans!
I found it utterly inspiring, from the amazing camera work to the unbelievable level of skiing, it made my hair stand on end from start to finish.

Plus Blizzard of Aahhhs is a great little extra, I loved watching Glen Plake rip on those massive old 2.3m tooth picks!!

RIP Shane McConkey
on 23 April 2010
Great to see Blizzard of Aahhhs again. It made a big impression in the 80s when I first saw it. The steep has some amazing sequences as well.
on 12 March 2017
great film
on 3 December 2012
this is a good review of how extreme and off piste skiing came about and is a good documentary , it contains some good footage . But it really lacks in definition , it would be so much better in HD and is really quite low res. I am disappointed with this aspect as it could be great stuff but isnt there with latest standards , you can get better HQ quality on Utube and Red Bull TV in my opinion
on 6 July 2009
The best ski movie I have ever seen. No silly soundtracks, no inane interviews - just amazing skiing and a wonderful mini history of the extreme, told by some of the people involved. The sections in Chamonix and Alaska are breathtaking.
I have often stared up, and occasionally down, some pretty awesome slopes in the Alps. It is pretty hairy just being on the edge, but the thought of throwing yourself down them on just a pair of skis simply beggars belief. The thought came to me that you must either have supreme confidence in your ability, or an almost insane disregard for your own safety to undertake such a venture. But of course the world is full of such adrenalin junkies, the most extreme of which continually push the boundaries of what is achievable.

These types are personified by Bill Briggs, who was the first man to undertake such a venture when he decided to ski down the Grand Teton in the early seventies. No one believed him until they saw his ski tracks impossibly weaving down the mountain. This tradition was followed by others who are interviewed in this documentary. There is some incredible accompanying footage of their exploits. One daredevil skiing straight off the Col Du Midi, a place I know quite well. But as with all sports, someone sets new standards of excellence, like a Bob Beamon or a Usain Bolt, but sooner or later some freak of nature will come along and rewrite the records. Such is the case with extreme skiing as this film demonstrates. We see the likes of Doug Coombs taking on the immense pristine Alaskan mountains, the home of the extreme skiing world championships. We see other enthusiasts pushing the limits in my favourite resort Chamonix, home of the big ones.

When in Norway some years ago I spoke to my glacier guide who was an oldish guy in his sixties. He informed me that he did an awful lot of skiing in the winter. When I mentioned there did not seem to be many lifts in the area, he laughed and informed me you simply climbed a mountain and skied down it. This is undoubtedly the purest way to ski, and the film ends with Andrew McLean who is the most extreme exponent of this sport, going to such far away places as Patagonia and Iceland. There is not a helicopter or lift in sight. If you can't climb the mountain, you don't get to ski it, simple as that. But perhaps most importantly the documentary does not shy away from the costs of such risk taking. Doug Coombs who died in an avalanche in 2006, speaks like a ghost from the grave. His widow sums it up when she says "Sometimes the mountains can just swallow you up". The average person might quite sanely ask "Is it really worth it". I believe it has always been mans destiny to continually push the boundaries. Without such men we would never have conquered the air, and eventually sent men to the moon. To live life without any risk at all, is not to have lived. This is a fascinating documentary about these pathfinders with some breathtaking action. It is a snip at the time of this review, and a bargain for anyone interested in extreme skiing.
on 16 February 2010
First of all, I bought the DVD because of the Greg Stump film "Blizzard of Aahhhs." I used to own another Greg Stump film, "Maltese Flamingo," on VHS. Not having a video player these days, I decided to try and acquire a copy on DVD. This proved impossible, but an internet search for the "Maltese Flamingo" soundtrack led me to the "Blizzard of Aahhhs" which, because it was bundled with "Steep," represented, I felt, absolutely brilliant value for money!
"Steep" is an astounding documentary, made nearly twenty years after the "Blizzard of Aahhhs." Whilst it is also a film about extreme skiing, it focuses more on the people involved rather than the skiing itself. That is not to say it there is no action. The filming techniques employed give, at times, astonishing viewing angles and the photography is superb - frequently breathtaking. Co-incidentally, the documentary features interviews with some of the participants in the "Blizzard of Aahhhs" - the skiers Glen Plake and Mike Hattrupp and the filmmaker, Greg Stump, himself.
Some might regard "Blizzard of Aahhhs" as a movie of its time - that is for those individuals to decide for themselves. In the documentary "Steep," the "Blizzard of Aahhhs" is described as "the most influential American ski film of all time." For me it evoked memories of a previous era. The soundtrack, particularly, enhances the images of the extreme skiing captured on film. Even my daughters, who were not even born at the time this film was made, were captivated by the images (and even by some of the soundtrack). For those of us who were around at that time, this is another wonderful reminder of the astonishing enjoyment to be had from merely cruising the European snowfields. For those of us without the talent or expertise to undertake extreme sports, this is the best way to experience the vicarious pleasures of the extreme aspects of the sport rather than attempting to personally indulge in the super-adrenaline antics of the film's participants!
on 17 February 2012
Extraordinary documentary film. I was expecting
flashy skiing and there is some amazing footage but this film gets down to the reason i think we all ski. The insights into the truly awesome men and women whose skills take them further than most of us can go are beautifully portrayed. Particulary thought provoking are those moments spent with those who have now died doing what they love, without any hint of regret or pathos. I have watched this 4 times already! the talk over by 2 of the skiers is also excellent and gives yet another dimension to this amazing inspiring movie.
on 13 May 2009
Addictive. Amazing movie if you are into backcountry skiing. I would have loved more action filming than interviews with the most noteworthy extreme skiers in the world but still very engaging movie.