Format: DVD|Change

on 2 February 2008
I loved the book and was really looking forward to seeing the film, but was slightly put off to hear that it was set in the USA instead of Ireland. But, in spite of this I decided to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is very different from the book but if you can put that aside and see it as a film in it's own right you'll really enjoy it.

Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler are delightful as a couple and their acting is amazing. Swank's acting during the funeral scene is superb. Laughing and crying at the same time through the playing of Fairytale of New York, she just tugs at the heartstrings.

Some reviewers have criticised it saying that it slagged off the Irish and called us leprechauns. But the only references to that were when Gerry made a silly, jokey remark and Holly said something about being in love with a leprechaun; and also when the sing-a-gram comes to the door, which was just Gerry's silly way of reminding Holly about him and also about St.Patrick's day. A couple of references to something that we ourselves promote as part of the tourist trade can hardly be classed as racism! In fact, the Irish are portrayed as attractive, intelligent, warm, friendly, hard-working, fun-loving, creative people, who are fortunate enough to live in a beautiful land, so I don't think there's anything for us to take offence at.

This film is full of romance, comedy, pathos, top-class performances, and stunning scenery. Don't be put off by the negative revues of people who might prefer more sex and violence. Sometimes it's nice to see people overcoming challenges and, with the help of family and friends, coming out the other side with humour and optimism.
11 Comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2008
I absolutely loved the book, so when I found out there was a film out I was really excited about seeing it. However, I was very disappointed after watching it, the book is so much better. For starters, while the book is set in Ireland, the film is set in New York - I don't think this added to the film in any way at all. I didn't feel that all of the cast were entirely believable, somehow they didn't seem to gel.
I do think that had I not read the book first, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more. Gerry Butler is extremely likeable, and there are some tear jerking scenes. It is by no means a bad film, but if you are hoping for it to be like the book, you will be disappointed.
on 11 September 2016
This film is utterly terrible. Packed full of misogynistic cliches about American women. Hilary Swank is probably one of the most annoying actresses, full of irritating mannerisms, supposedly grieving her husband who seems to have been more than happy to die and whose only purpose was be Irish-ish. But don't worry, she gets with someone else by the end of the film...who looks and sounds very mich like the first...the director obviously understands that wee just cannot bear the idea of a single woman. So if your loving husband dies, it is so reassuring that you will find an equally loving replacement within a year so you can get on with designing shoes from your 'tiny' New York apartment and hanging out with your 40 year-old girlfriends who all act like adolescents. Brilliant! Women are exactly like this so we really enjoy these films. Right.
on 2 August 2009
I bought this to watch with my wife; I always think her sneering at my love of horror films as hypocritical -'they're depressing'- yet she has a preference for movies which make her cry...go figure.
On the tears front, P.S. I love you scores big; the wife was sniffling and snuffling throughout and looked like a panda when I switched the lights on at the end. Apparently her mascara wasn't waterproof after all! I have to admit to having a lump in my throat on several occasions. The film unashamedly uses the whole Hollywood arsenal of cheese and downright emotional cheap shots to really tug at the heartstrings and therefore it is successful in what it sets out to do. However, I can't help but feel that this film could have been a lot more enjoyable had it played less for laughs and easy tears and been more of a serious drama. I haven't read the book but I imagine it had more depth to it. The story behind the film makes for an original and heart-warming tale but this was undone somewhat by the generic Hollywood formula which was applied to it. Hilary Swank is superb, Phoebe from Friends is still Phoebe from Friends, Harry Connick Junior's performance is dull (and his character pointless) but otherwise it's a fairly solid cast. So if tears are your thing and you don't mind too much cheese in your movies then you will enjoy this.

P.s. I am off to cheer myself up by watching some horror.
33 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2008
I have recently gone through a loss and trauma myself. My friends didn't think that watching this film at this stage of my life is wise. But.. OK, probably cried more then anyone else watching it, but the film left me with the feeling that this also will pass, that I'm not alone with my pain and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Very calming and oh, those Irish guys :D Recommend from the bottom of my shattered heart
on 15 February 2017
This is a bad film. Poorly scripted, terrible Irish accents and, for what should have been a moving subject matter, a strange lack of emotion. Only once, and briefly, in two hours did I see something close to real grief.

For me the lead characters just weren't believable. I've not read the book, but guessed half way through the film that it must have originally been set in Ireland. What a shame they moved it to New York and decided not to use an Irish actor for the leading man.

Lisa Kudrow was a saving grace but she didn't have a big enough part to save the film. I would strongly advise against watching, I feel I've been robbed of my time.
on 25 July 2008
Well first off i know i'm not exactly part of the target audience for this film, but i have been known to enjoy the odd "Chick Flick" now and again.
I'd heard that the book was really good and having seen the cast list i decided it would be a nice film to watch with the love of my life on a sunday afternoon...

The credits rolled and the film starts off with Holly (the normally excellent Hillary Swank) and Gerry (Lady eye candy - Gerard Butler) embroiled in a fight..

Awful, terrible and shockingly bad Irish accent from Butler and absolutely no hint of chemistry at all between the two of them.

Anyway we move on, and the obvious happens, the guy dies and we're at the wake. Swanks performance improves from this point and dare i say it the hint of sadness is felt for her character. So it then goes on, the friends and family rally round her for her 30th birthday, and the first letter arrives. The flm picks up a bit and the idea of these letters sent from Holly's recently dead husband from his death bed is very sweet and touching.

Eventually (again fairly predictably) he tells her to go to Ireland, and for me it's at this point that any feelings of sadness or empathy you feel for Swank's Holly totally evaporates into thin air.

She meets a guy in a bar that looks and sounds and feels like her dead husband - and rather than run as far away from this realisation as her legs can carry her she, encouraged by her friends that have accompanied her on the trip, ends up sleeping with him.

Then guess what, he turns out to be a childhood friend of Butler that he hasn't seen for many years.

I could go on and on and on with the massive holes that are in this film but to be honest for my first review i think i've typed too much already.

The other sub plots of men leaving her (Holly) is probably the only redeeming feature of the film, and the only stand out performance for me that comes almost at the very end of the film comes from Kathy Bates.

It's far too long and from what i understand lost all of the charm that the book is supposed to have.

Only "The Happening" another film i watched recently - has come close to beating it to "worst film i have ever seen"

Avoid the film, read the book - and let's hope that the two screenplay writers (LaGravenese & Rogers) don't massacre any other books any time soon.
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is so much better than the saccharine and sentimental book which I hated. Hilary Swank is an eccentric choice for romantic lead but adds some robustness to the role, even though I wasn't convinced by her chemistry with Gerard Butler. Kathy Bates is excellent as the bitter mother and offsets the slush potential of the story while offering some genuinely moving moments. And Lisa Kudrow gives the right touch of ditzy sharpness.

So this is girly without being silly and avoids too neat an ending.
on 19 February 2017
There is nothing worse than a top cast , wasting their time with a lousy script .
I have two criteria , a good script and excellent casting . This had neither , in
fact it was embarrassing , absolutely no chemistry , the only class act was Kathy
Bates .
on 14 December 2016
Although the title points to a brainless rom-com of sorts, it is most misleading as this film is more of a drama with comic undertones. The subject matter is treated tactfully and with real heart, knowing how no-one would want to be in her shoes.