Format: DVD|Change

on 11 January 2011
In Berlin is a truly fantastic concert which took place in Berlin 1982 on his Trans Tour. Neil is accompanied with some of his old pals with musicians such as Nils Lofgren/Bruce Palmer/Ralph Molina/Ben Keith and a couple of roadies from the crew Larry Cragg & Joel Bernstein, it really is a good line up of musicians. It was originally released on VHS Video back in 1983 to which I purchased myself and totally wore out the tape by playing it that many times. Thank god that this release as finally been transferred to DVD is all I can say, because it's a marvel of a concert.

The footage from this concert that turns up on this DVD is only an hour long, but what Neil manages to pack into that hour is a truly fantastic set list of old classics with the likes of Cinnamon Girl/Old Man/Needle & The Damage Done/After The Gold Rush/Hey Hey My My and a mind blistering performance of Hurricane that is simply to die for. Other new material at the time was from his new album Trans (which perhaps may seem very outdated to some) but these live performances of that material is far from the case, and are way better arranged and performed than what they where ever on the studio album. Tracks like Computer Age and Sample and Hold have never sounded better. To top it all off, Neil finishes off with a purely fantastic newly written track for the occasion of it all, entitled After Berlin. This is a classic in my opinion and certainly makes a fantastic ending to a purely magical concert of shear great performance.

Both picture and sound quality are very good, but even though this as been transferred to DVD, it's still very much VHS Video quality in that department, but its certainly good enough considering this is old video footage. The DVD I have is not from Amazon and is a Rhino release that comes with amazingly a Dolby Digital 5.1 Soundtrack. Though to be honest it's far from great 5.1 in that respect, and is really only as it originally was from the VHS Video which would of been an HiFi Stereo Track. But it still sounds very good and with great stereo production does not in any way spoil ones listening pleasure.

In Berlin is truly one of Neils finest concerts that captures some of his earlier, finer, and truly amazing performances, it does not disappoint one bit and keeps you thoroughly entertained. It really is a busting show that I would consider a must for the fans, and anybody who wants to be entertained with mind blowing performances. I simply cannot recommend this enough it's very much in my heart with it's performance and stands proud in my collection.
on 8 May 2010
I recently bought this after a long time looking for it. It didn't disappoint, it is an excellent live concert, I would say though the cover for the dvd is very misleading. It shows a completely different concert. It also doesn't list all the tracks. But saying that it is well worth the money. Also the seller was very prompt in sending out I received the item after only two days waiting.
on 26 May 2010
What more can be said? And why isn't this readily commercially available. Thank goodness for Amazon market place!!
Includes 'Computer Age', so often seen only as a partial clip.
What an explorer Neil Young was, and still is.
on 17 December 2004
Probably the best live take of Like A Hurricane ever captured. A great concert and an essential buy. Maybe not overall as compelling as Weld, but only because it isn't Crazy Horse. Certainly Neil in full-on electric mode though. Think of this as a Weld companion.
on 14 September 2014
Excellent visuals, originally filmed as video, so surprisingly good. The sound is good as well. Unfortunately the dreaded vocoder is present on many tracks - although works very well on Sample And Hold. The concert gets better and better as it goes (as usual) -with the wonderful Like A Hurricane, quite one of the best versions ever. In fact the DVD is worth buying just for the last two tracks: Hurricane and After Berlin - the only time ever that After Berlin has been done, amazing as it is an excellent song. Highly recommended.
on 21 March 2016
After seeing this on youtube, my 2.5 year old insisted we get a better quality performance. It is his favourite Neil performance and video is a lot better than youtube and the sound is seriously better. Well worth the price
on 29 November 2012
I saw the Trans tour at Wembley Arena in the early 80s and it was fantastic. This DVD is an excellent record from that tour, the vocoder duets with Nils Lofgren are unusual, original and worth the price of the DVD on their own. The last track (Berlin) was (I believe) written especially for this concert and has not been played since. Along with Live Rust this is one of the best music DVDs around and is a must have for any Neil Young fans. You will not be disappointed.
on 15 September 2009
I used to have this concert taped on video, the tape was played so many times over it eventually conked out! I was therefore over the moon when I spied the DVD on Amazon. Neil Young is astounding, my whole family loves this concert, my kids watched it over & over again whilst young & now I have the DVD it's played by either myself or one of the kids at least once a week, I now know what to buy them as housewarming gifts for when they fly the nest!
on 20 January 2014
I had this on VHS years ago, then my player expired, so it's a great way to go back to The Trans Tour to appreciate how inventive Neil is, played with a great band including the dancing Nils Lofgren on guitar.
on 17 November 2015
I have tried for a long time to get this one on DVD as I have the original video. really pleased except it has the wrong picture on it but I guess that is imports for you