Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 13 October 2007
Simply amazing, emotional, heart wrenched beautifully written adaption.. loved every second! So much to take in, set in an amazing world of dark and good two brothers live homeless as orphans, one takes on the 'duty' of saviour of the town but at the same time has the responsibility of a younger sibling. Is his competition too much.

A very well constructed piece of anime you feel some aspects of reality.. I'm not a fan of manga or 'action' anime as such and have watched all the Studio Ghibli collection, I can quite easily say this has now topped my anime collection, you wont want to miss this one!! I would say this isn't for a very young audience but pref 12+
on 24 February 2008
I'm very fond a Japanese anime but (to my shame) this title had eluded me. I bought it primarily because it's one of the first animations on Blu-Ray and I was curious to assess the image quality. Well you live and learn: this film is extraordinary in the extreme. It's appears to be a simple tale of two boys living and surviving on the streets of a run down Japanese town but it becomes far more than that. Their names are 'Black' and 'White' and I would urge you to consider yin & yang at this point.
The animation is amazing. There's so much detail in each frame that I wanted to frame (as in wooden) most of them. Sometimes the animation is deliberately simplistic but it all blends and builds magnificently. The high-definition really brings this out and any lover of anime will be drooling at this one.
This is now one of my top 5 films and that's really saying something because I'm 43 years old and I've seen a lot of movies. I don't impress easily. If you like anime then just buy this, a no-brainer. If you like a thoughtful and interesting (but at times surreal) story then also buy this.
Genius!
on 19 January 2008
I could not recommend this anymore to a fan of Animation be it western or Japanese anime as this is a work of art and hats off to Michael Arias and all the others that pulled this off also check out the Manga that it's based on also called TEKKONKINKREET that is written and drawn by Taiyo Matsumoto ( amazon sell the re-released version as it happens )and you will see just where the odd style artwork came from.
on 20 August 2016
I really struggle to review this anime. First, it is so puzzling a story that I doubt I can describe it. Decaying town and two kids caught in it. Yakuza. Police. Death and super humans. Chaotic events. Homeless people are the only ones feeling any compassion, the rest of them totally soulless. Ruined buildings and a super amusement park being built. When you start watching it doesn't make sense at all. Once I wanted to terminate the video but continued out of sheer stubbornness. And slowly, very slowly the story began to come together. It is a fight over the soul of the boy who is caught in some sort of a limbo, and the choice this boy makes will either save or destroy the planet. There was nothing straightforward about this story, not in the way we are used to in the West. But it was b-dy touching.
on 10 May 2008
I bought this and Paprika as my first two Blu-Ray movies ever. I'm not a fan of Anime at all but after this film I'll definitely seek out a few others.

Tekkonkinkreet is a piece of art, everything seems to be done to perfection, the story is emotional and touching, yet it has enough action to keep anyone satisfied. The animation is beautiful, I was sat watching this film amazed at every second wondering how they made it look so good!

This films a definite keeper and I'll be sure to watch it many many times more, I'm sure it'll appeal to watchers of all ages, even family viewing, just be wary of some of the violence in it. ;)
on 14 April 2014
This piece of art can place itself among the ranks of Akira, Ghost it the Shell, Paprika and Spirited Away.
In good tradition of aforementioned masterpieces, this little gem picks you up, shakes you around and smashes you down with your jaw left on the floor minutes after the final credits have rolled.
The story might not be very interesting, at first. But the visuals, o sweet roasted bbq chicken wings, the visuals...
Make/order yourself some Japanese food, dim the lights and enjoy the fireworks!
on 9 March 2012
My 5 year old daughter and I were utterly rapt by the quality of the story, the nuances, the interplay between characters and the focus on so many existential facets. The symbolism particularly in the fairground scene with the minotaur toward the end and the critical bond between the two main protagonist (Black and White) is both moving and a key theme connecting many of the characters engaging in what probably needs a second viewing. This is film for older children as there is significant violence, but I rated the soundtrack enormously and rank the film alongside such anime greats as My Neighbour Totoro and Ponyo although the latter two I love for their simplicity and innocence. This is not a film I would let my 3 year old watch but this film will stay in my anime file for many years to come of that I have no doubt.
on 27 February 2012
Tekkonkinkreet is not a Hayao Miyazaki film. Straying away from the family friendly Anime that Studio Ghibli have so effectively colonized over the past two decades, Tekkonkinkreet is a much darker tale - following the lives of two street urchins, named Black and White respectively, as they run riot around territory getting into more and more dangerous scrapes as they go along.

It's a fantastic film and it flings the viewer deeper into an emotional vortex as it progresses, with its rich cinematography, dazzling animation and captivating score. The two protagonists are brilliant - White, the younger of the two is naive, innocent and pure, whilst the protective Black is a far more morally grey character. To survive in the tough streets of Treasure Town they must steal and pilfer whenever and wherever they can.

Throw into that mix some Yakuza, a bunch of bone-quakingly strong superhumans and an array of inner demons and you know you have a radical rollercoaster-ride of a movie on your hands.

I highly recommend you watch it, although be warned if you are looking for a Studio Ghibli style film, this is not it - there are a number of gritty, violent scenes that make it unsuitable for youngsters. Other than that, top notch stuff.
on 17 April 2016
Love this film. It is done in an exceedingly beautiful and unique style, with lively animation and decadent layouts.
For those who have read the book, the film although following the same plot feels entirely different, focusing more on white and black's relationship rather than the general state of the city. Having a more satisfying ending, where as in the manga it is the same but feels entirely different leading you to further think and question their purpose and its validity.
on 6 November 2007
this is a truly wonderful film! the animation is absolutely perfect for the feel, and the graphics are great!
it features talents such as Ninomiya Kazunari and Aoi Yu, with music by Japanese rock band 'Asian Kung-Fu Generation', and British electronic Duo 'Plaid'.
bassed on the 1993 manga by Taiyō Matsumoto, the story is situated in a town that's falling to pieces. Kids roam the streets tearing things up, while Yakuza help support the powers of the place. amongst all this, two kids, Shiro (white) and Kuro (Black) are getting by through petty theft, when things begin to become more complicated than they could have ever imagined, with the Yakuza backing the plans for Treasure Towns reconstruction, and 3 immensely powerful guys at their command.
their relationship is but through the test, and it's a wonderful tie to the Chinese mythology of Ying and Yang (not get me wrong, this is by NO MEANS a Yaoi or shonen-ai).

i highly recommend this film! it's not in a conventional 'manga' style anime, and though the story-line is rather simple, it's enticing, and pulls you into their characters lives very quickly - it even made me cry a couple of times ^^;