Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 May 2008
I went to see Robert Hood at the end of February in Manchester and he was very impressive, so I was quite excited when I found out he was due to do a Fabric CD. The recent Fabric CDs have been disappointing and I hoped this won't be the same, however when I saw the track listing on the Fabric website I could see we were in for a treat. Tracks such as `UK Gold - Agent Wood' and `Jeff Mills - Skin deep' standout straight away.

The mix starts with Monobox - Silicone Fingers and the listener could be mistake for thinking they have purchased another Villalobos bore fest, however Robert Hood is from Detriot where they know have to make and play techno, so this track is faded out and Hood brings in the first of many of his own tracks. The mix continues with solid Detroit techno also encompassing a European flavour in `Joris Voorn - Fever'. The mix goes from strength to strength as Jeff Mills comes and goes and familiar funk of UK Gold leaks through the dark industrial beats. As the mix comes towards the end we are treated to one last piece of Hood's magic in the shape of his `The greatest Dancer'. As this track fades in you'll probably be reaching for local listings to see if Hood is coming to a club near you.

In Conclusion, this is a good solid Detroit techno mix from one of the original innovators of the scene and is worthy of a place on the CD rack of anyone who likes good intelligent music. If you don't already own Jeff Mills - Exhibitionist buy it now.
on 21 July 2008
It's always difficult to go against the stream of public opinion and with high hopes for, finally, a good techno stomper, especially after reading the countless raving reviews around the net, I am sorry to say Robert Hood failed to impress miserably.

The style he is portraying is nothing new, which doesn't need to be a problem. All the way back at the back end of the nineties we saw a rise in this style of music by exeptional deejays like Ben Sims, Marco Bailey, Samuel L session and so many more who all used the same type of loop based techno and through unbelievable mixing skills raised it to timeless hights.

It is here where Robert Hood fails and he fails incredibly. He seems to be trying to do the same thing by mixing fast and furious, but fails to understand that one can only do so when one understands that one still have to consider that a mix should be building up. Robert Hood, however, goes from left to right and back again. He is mixing in deep pounding baselines after rhytmic entities, let's it play for a minute and brings it back down with an empty sounding flat beat without bringing back the previous one leaving the mix empty and chaotically.It's sad because just as we get enthusiastic with one tune he brings the mix to a full stop with another that simply doesn't fit unless he brings the previous back or leaves it mixed in longer. In short, the transmissions are too short, too abrubtly and the tunes don't complement each other.

The way of mixing with this style of loop based techno is essential and it is a shame that Fabric chose Robert Hood to do so.

If this style is your cup of tea, please, stay clear of this one. It has been done before and it has done far better.

Have a listen to the following:

Samuel L Session on Monoid
Ben Sims - escapism part one & two
Monika Kruse - On the Road
Technasia - plus 1
...and of course anything by Ritchie Hawtin
on 31 October 2015
I've not purchased any of the Fabric series before, so I have no mark for comparison in terms of how this volume sits in the rest of the series.

I like my mix CD's to be like a night out in an underground techno club; pacey and up tempo. I like my Techno to be groove based with lots of hooks & loops and with as few formulaic breakdowns as possible.

With that in mind this delivers on every level. Loads of pure techno which bangs along at a good pace. There's none of the stupid messing around with tempos and genres that many so called techno mix CD's have been doing lately, its just heads down, foot stomping excellence from track 2 onwards. (Track 1 is an unnecessary noodle intro).

I've always shied away from buying Fabric CD's before, as I got the impression from reviews that they were DJ ego trips designed to 'educate' rather than get you grooving. But there's no pretension here, only great techno. If you like Jess Mills, Dave Angel, Ritchie Hawtin style CD's then this is an absolute must. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2008
Admittedly I'd never heard of Robert Hood until this months Fabric CD arrived but I read his bio online and discovered he is largely credited with being amongst the first minimal techno producers in the early 1990's. Hood's style, however, is nothing like the European minimal techno sound that has had a stranglehold on the dance music scene for the last few years, it's a lot more high energy. Where todays modern minimal techno tends to be between 120 and 128bpm, Hood's tunes are all 130bpm+. Fabric 39 is a high tempo journey through stark industrial Detroit techno, taking in warmer cuts that would sound at home in a Carl Cox or Renato Cohen set and the occasional techno reworking of an of old disco record.

When the first track by Monobox began I thought the mix was gonna start off on an ambient note but then the tune just fades out and is replaced by a high tempo 4/4 beat which sets the tone for the whole mix. The mixing is fast and frantic with 32 tracks packed into an hour. For the most part the mixing is superb with just one or two records ending a little abruptly. Hood works the EQ's and filters to create big bass drops and energy builds. He is obviously a great DJ but I think the mix is definitely more suitable for the club. If I heard this in a club I can imagine leaving exhilarated and smiling but I think the pace is a little too relentless for most on CD.

Like this? Try: Pure Intec: Carl Cox
on 1 December 2015
I was looking for a decent techno cd to add to my collection , I found this abit corny when I heard a will smith type track mixed in if you want Detroit techno get nocturbulous behavior by the suburban knight
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2008
Despite being regarded as one of the founding fathers of techno, few have heard of Robert Hood. His Fabric mix favours simplified but intelligent beats, moving at a rapid, unrelenting pace (32 tracks in all).

Hood takes stripped-back minimal and reclaims it as his own. Yet tracks like 'The Greatest Dancer', highlight his skill at playing both ends of the spectrum.
Some tracks dont work, the opener by Monobox - Silicone Fingers being one painful example. The Jeff Mills track Skin Deep is also criminally cut short. But otherwise a superb selection and a masterfully crafted mix.
on 9 November 2015
Great cd.
on 15 March 2008
I'm a member of Fabricfirst and get my Fabric cd's directly from the source, sorry amazon. I have to say though this cd in blinkin' GREAT!!!