Format: DVD|Change

on 14 February 2008
First Arthur of the Britons and now this! This was shown I think in the very early 80s, just before Richard Carpenter turned his attention to Robin Hood. It is very much a period action adventure serial, set in 1802 when former naval officer Jack Vincent turns Smuggler. As with all of Carpenter's work (Catweazle, Ghosts of Motley Hall, Dick Turpin etc), there is an Englishness to it that so strong, one could almost bottle it! This, of course is one of it's strengths, and Oliver Tobias is wonderful in the role. There was also a sequel called The Adventurer in 1986 with Jack set in Australia, but this was, if my memory servs me well, much better.

With a production crew that brought you Turpin, and Robin of Sherwood (Paul Knight and the late, great Sidney Cole), you know what you will be getting here. If this sort of period drama is your thing, you will love this. Once again,(this is becoming a mantra) all together now, WELL DONE NETWORK! We love you!
on 17 June 2008
Well I have waited a long time to see this TV production again - 27 years to be precise. I loved watching Smuggler as a 14 year old, who was smitten by the dashing Oliver Tobias in the role of Jack Vincent. A swashbuckling adventure set in Cornwall in the 1800s. Of course there is a touch of romance included as the series progresses (how I envied Lesley Dunlop!) much sword fighting, plenty of excitement, great coastal locations and plenty of breeches, bodices and bucket top boots!!
My own teenagers have enjoyed watching this DVD - it is pure escapism for the whole family and I would highly recommend it!! Thankyou for bringing it back!
on 6 January 2009
Series like this are great time fillers. Thirteen 25 minute episodes of unadulterated fun.

It does not boast any of the big name actors that appeared in "Arthur of the Britons". However it is more polished and I felt more enjoyable.

Recommended to anyone looking for a bit of easyily watched, non P.C. entertainment.
on 20 September 2008
Took a bit of a gamble on this, vaguely having remembered the show in the 80's. Remembered how gorgeous Oliver Tobias was though and was not disappointed by this DVD. Tobias is perfectly cast as the moody and insular Smuggler in question. The episodes are well written and enjoyable. You get a real sense of what life may have been like at this tme.Great little series, would thoroughly recommend!
on 12 September 2014
If you enjoy watching Oliver Tobias then you will definitely enjoy this. This is a really sweet mini series which I don't remember viewing when it was first broadcast. I particularly enjoyed the obvious outdoor location filming.
on 18 April 2015
For me a swashbuckling blast from the past and a lot of fun that is ideal for a rainy Sunday afternoon the children and grandchildren will enjoy this one as well as we olds the transfer to DVD is very good, I well remember the lead actress who appears today in a very popular soap being the envy of every girl I knew, good uncomplicated stories on two disks,wonder what became of the Welsh actor who played the young lad.
on 24 October 2008
I bought this on the recommendations here, and was not disappointed. The scenery is wonderful, the acting for the most part very good ( although one or two moments of total hamminess ) and although at the start of episode 3 you have to do some very quick mental adjustments, it was so much fun, highly entertaining, and in some places downright hilarious. The film quality is very good, the costumes and styling are authentic, and Tobias' and Dunlops' characters refreshingly non-clichéd and dynamic. Watch out for the cat fight in the French tavern, I laughed out loud at that - funny and cool without being slapstick.
Definitely a classic. And for a tenner, a real bargain !
on 9 March 2009
Vaguely remember this series when first shown, although I dont think I ever saw all episodes. But having said that, it's a great and thoroughly enjoyable series. Somewhat light-hearted, but nevertheless it has it's moments of tension and drama amidst some wonderful scenery. Some interesting cameo guest appearances also. For the small purchase price I'd thoroughly recommend this. Also, as each episode is only 25 minutes long, it's great to watch an episode and escape into the past for a short while before going to bed!
on 26 October 2012
I vaguely remembered "Smuggler" being on TV when I was a teenager. It was based on this fond memory that I bought the DVD from Amazon.co.uk. I LOVED it!

Oliver Tobias is perfectly cast as Jack Vincent. Who wouldn't fall for those ruggedly dashing good looks?! I was smitten as a teenager and (31yrs later) fell for that roguish charm all over again.

I just wish that the series was much, much longer so that I could continue to enjoy watching more episodes. I'd love to know what happened to Jack, Sarah and Honesty after Jack became a secret spy for His Majesty's Government during the Napoleonic War.

I'd also like to know where "Smuggler" was filmed so that I could travel to the UK and explore that wonderful coastline.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2009
It was never going to win any awards for acting or storylines, but as far as i'm concerned, to see the old HTV icon/soundbite at the start of each episode, was worth the price alone ! I wish they'd left some of the adverts in the middle of the eps for the total immersion back to the early 80's experience !