Customer reviews

Rock Band - Game Only (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3|Change
Price:£12.37+ £3.49 shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 March 2008
First off when the package finally arrived it cost me the better part of £140 ... half of that was shipping so unless you're busting a gut for someone's birthday present I'd definately wait for the UK release.

Bit of advice when you first get the box. The guitar needs some force to clip the head onto the neck ... this is normal apparently. The drum kit itself is excellent quality and comes complete with real wooden drumsticks. They set up nicely and sitting on a simple desk chair will suffice to play it. The microphhone is also good quality so overall in terms of periphherals I was really impressed.
Once the game was loaded it was simple to select the tutorials and I was able to make my way through the tutorials fairly easily, finding the drumming much easier than guitar work. I have to say the tutorials are reall 'cool' with all the language and rock cliche's you'd expect right down to the crazy rack band finishes. I've only had Rock Band for 4 days now but I am having a lot of fun. However I can imagine I'm going to get bored sooner than I thought (Never had Guitar Hero's to compare with) BUT and this is a BIG BUT when you havve some friends over it becomes intensely competative and great fun. Sometimes you actually start to think you could do this for real *grin*.
on 2 April 2009
I've been wanting to purchase this game for some time, but having already bought Guitar Hero including the drums etc it seemed such a waste to have 2 sets of guitars, drums and microphones. Now finally with Rock Band 2 it works with all my kit that i purchased with Guitar Hero.
The selection of songs and the downloadable content I personally much prefer to Guitar Hero, there is much more choice and as my home is made up of me, my partner an 18 year and a 9 year old, we all have our own preference in music, yet we all found songs on the disk we liked and even more so on the additional downloads you can get from the online store.
My family really enjoy this, and it's great that we can all have fun as a family together.
on 6 February 2008
I have to say that I was sceptical about this game: I do actually play guitar and I figured that this wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. However, one of my mates borrowed it off a relative who bought it in the States and we all trooped round for a crack.

Initially, I felt a bit self conscious with the singing and I found the guitar very unnatural and I imagine most guitarists will feel the same to start with. The drums too are a bit odd as I used to play those too and the normal style of play is to hit the high hat with the right hand and the snare with the left, the right hand being above and crossing over the left. In Rock Band the layout means you have to play the snare with your right and high hat with the left. It wasn't looking good at this point.

Thing is though, after about five minutes, I just didn't care about that because they're not really instruments, they're game controllers and the sooner you remember that the better. Sounds obvious but until you rememebr that cars and golf clubs aren't controlled by little rubberised joysticks in real life, you'll be annoyed by the game if you play instruments. Once you do get over that, God it's good fun. Really good fun. You find yourself really getting into it and after songs that go well you start high fiving or knuckle tapping your band mates and saying "dude" a lot.

Obviously, your band name is important. Try and make it funny because one of the best laughs of the game is seeing all the other band names and giggling like schoolkids at the innuendo. Time will fly by and before you know it, it will be late in the night and you will actually be quite tired because you really do start to give it your all without realising it.

So to summarise, this game really is damn good fun even if you think it won't be for you, give it a go if you get the chance as you might just be surprised. The only down side is the cost. In the States, the game, drum kit, microphone and one wireless guitar will set you back about $160-180 (soemthing like £80-90 or so) but over here you are likely to pay the dollar price in pounds for the same kit which is pretty scandalous as I'm damn sure that soemone is getting a scorching deal and someone is getting stung, and I don't think it's gamers in the States who are getting the bum deal. Just think of it this way though: this kit allows a bare minimum of three players so split the cost with mates and it's not so bad. I think you can use Guitar Hero controllers too so if you have one already that helps. Only thing is, you really need another guitar (for the bass) and a very decent size telly so you can see what you need to be doing.
33 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2009
I, like many people in the UK, imported Rock Band. It was a significantly risky investment due to the hefty import fees and such (I imported from eBay around April 2008).

I can happily say it was one of the best investments in entertainment in my life.

Obviously, you can play alone as a drummer, singer or guitarist but the magic only truly happens with multiplayer.

But that's not to say you should avoid it if you're a solo artist. There's plenty of entertaining songs on here to play across all instruments. The song selection is very solid and it's nice to see that the songs were often chosen to work well for all instruments instead of focusing too much on the one. The huge amount of DLC (500+ songs and the time of writing this) means the rocking will go on for sometime, and there will be plenty to keep everyone of all tastes and ages happy.

Drumming will take a fair bit of getting used to, as will guitar/bass for those who have yet to play Guitar Hero. Singing is just like most other singing games really (not that it's a bad thing).

All in all, a brilliant game which can only be bettered by it's sequel.
on 6 November 2009
I don't normally buy music games and the last I'd played was amplitude. My wife tried Rockband for the PSP and realized she enjoyed games like this a lot and we ended up getting it.
It's a lot of fun to play in groups as always. The tracks are a lot better than on the GH games and I prefer the control scheme in this game to GH really. The music really is what got me to purchase this title. Now yeah you can get a lot of tracks you like as DLC with either game but the selection that comes with this is better. It was down to this or RB2 but we liked the track selection on this more really. The music selection is more suited for people who grew up in the 80s-90s. Perhaps Harmonix and MTV were aiming at that market. Still it is a fun and enjoyable game.
on 21 September 2008
OK so i too was one of those to import it from the states. I found the song choice and the guitars much better than that for guitar hero. Ok so the rock band 2 is due out later this year but the songs obviously won't be the same. The drums are a little hard to get used to but it adds more of a challenge which makes it all that more fun. I had the mic, two guitars and the drum kit on with friends.. although none of us sang great it was such a laugh.

Truely awesome game though. just a note that i tried adding the UK downloadable songs to my US version and they wont work so make sure you get the UK version!!!!!
on 16 October 2012
Good fun, as long as you remember to unlock a few songs on the solo mode before doing multiplayer quickplay (for parties etc), since there aren't many available from the off. 'Easy' is still a challenge for newbies which is good, since too many games now just make the easy option patronising. Having trouble downloading additional songs, but I think that's more of a problem with PSN, and I'm looking into it now.
on 27 February 2010
I bought this to import all the songs into Rock Band 2. The original game has much more accessible songs than its sequel - and represents a bargain at the current price. Certainly recommended over the second game for recognizable songs, but lacks the game polish of the second. I would recommend doing what I did - get both games, and use the Rock Band 2 game to play all the tracks. Great fun!
on 5 February 2011
It all started with Guitar Hero 3 - I was told to pick this up and finally found it for a great price here at amazon!

Arrived promptly (during christmas period) and was enjoyed by all the family!

Track listing could be better, but there are some classics here.

Recommended for those that like the full band experience and want a new set of tracks ;-)
on 6 June 2010
This game is excellent fun. It can be enjoyed by the whole family. However, there is one thing that I would advise anybody considering buying this game to do, and that is to make sure you have silencers when using a drum kit, as without them it could drive you and your neighbours up the wall!!!!