on 23 April 2013
A fabulous series, albeit with perhaps 10-15 choices i would loved to have replaced with my own choice of genuine wonders,leaving out everything he shows in America and including more from India and Russia. How could he simply wander past the Church of the spilled Blood in St Petersburg, Russia, without even a mention??? And yet he fawns over a gun in America, a weapon used to murder innocent Indians. But aside from certain disagreements with the top 80 treasures which is inevitable, it is absolutely fabulous to travel with Dan and to witness his hopeless attempts to haggle in markets in Africa and Samarkand, Uzbekistan,where he is reduced to the role of compliant slave at the mercy of a young girl trader. Always a gentleman, never taking himself too seriously, always thoroughly enthusiastic about his treasures, never pretentious. I saw some gold jewelry in the Hong Kong museum of History and Art that betters some of his choices,and he should perhaps have gone there and stuck 2 fingers up at the shabby treatment he got from the mainlanders in the Reptile republic of China. He could easily have filmed the entire series in Asia and ignored Europe and America, but going around the world forced him not too dwell too long in certain treasure-laden countries,but to hunt for trinkets in the god-forsaken EU zone. And If the Chinese hadn't destroyed so much of the beauty in Tibet,replacing it with brothels for dimwittted soldiers,and disneyland style rides for soulless shopaholic tourists, then we might have seen some even more fabulous treasures from a people whose beauty and dignity shine greater than anything the communists have ever produced.
Five stars for his presentation, the quality of filming and the idea itself,to travel and see objects.One of my favourite series of all time.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2014
I've only very recently discovered Dan Cruickshank when I was browsing through history & arts documentaries on YouTube. I came across clips of Mr Cruickshank's stuff and I found him to be so knowledgeable, interesting, passionate and at the same time, very relaxing to listen to. So I immediately purchased his whole Around the World in 80 Treasures series on DVD from Amazon.

It arrived quickly & I pretty much went on a Dan Cruickshank binge - I watched all 4 discs within 2 days and when I slept, I dreamt of far-off exotic architecture & market places & of beautiful man-made treasures!

This series is so interesting and I will definitely re-watch it, over and over again. So it has been money well spent, in my case! :)
on 11 January 2013
This is just a wonderful piece of work. Dan Cruickshank circles the globe to take a close look at his own personal set of 80 treasures, some of them totally unexpected. This a documentary as they used to be made, no frills, simple clear direction and production, lot's of enthusiasm and a natural presenter that's interested in sharing his knowledge rather than making a song and dance about being a 'star'.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 April 2017
A gift gratefully received
on 19 October 2017
Very enjoyable sdmething to watch again and see new things each time
on 19 May 2017
great to watch
on 1 May 2018
Great
on 4 February 2012
brillant series,put across with such enthusiasm and delight by mr c.sometimes he gets a bit over exicted which only adds to the programme.great scenery and cultures,even the unusual treasures like the chair are put accross with so much interest it draws you in.
credit to dan must have been a punishing schedule.anyway off to find 80 treasures round my home and the first one is =
around the world in 80 treasures dvd.
on 15 July 2014
Wonderful and informative giving us insights into world sights we thought we knew about but mostly sights we did not even know exist. Cruikshank makes all the other travel journalists and presenters (with the exception of one) seem like boring beginers.
on 14 January 2016
Excellent dvd. Highly recommend interesting and informative. Super fast delivery service from supplier.