Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 14 July 2008
One of the most moving films i have seen in a very long time. Excellent music throughout with great acting and a great story to boot. The whole film was just brilliant, with yet another great performance from such a young talent in Freddie Highmore.I'm not going to tell you about the film and spoil it for you, just have your tissue's at the ready!
on 21 August 2014
Best film I've watched in a long time
on 15 April 2009
What a beatiful film.Little slow to get going but definately worth it.The music is infectious, shame they missed out the best when they released it on CD. Worth a view, might need to have a tissue to hand though.
on 13 July 2014
What a great movie
on 31 January 2009
A thoroughly enjoyable movie, a nice storyline and some amazing music. Definitely worth watching! Having watched it as a rental, I will buy it to watch again.
on 27 May 2008
This was one of the best films I have ever seen - it is truly worth watching again and again.
on 14 April 2008
This DVD was sent to me as a surprise gift: when I saw what was inside the gift I was not really interested but eventually I decided to watch it
What a surprise! This film is like a dream where all impossible things are possible: where an abandoned baby is not destroyed by it but grows into a bright genial balanced boy, where that boy learns the guitar in a few hours and organ on the spot, where he ends up at Julliard in the composition class, where he writes his own music and conducts the premiere of it ....and I will not tell the conclusion as it would spoil it.
I loved it all: script, acting and of course the marvellous sound track...
So, I bought and got it sent to several friends and family as a surprise gift
So far every single person has been amazed and all enchanted by it
It fells so good to believe, for a short time, that a child can hold his destiny in his own hands; It feels so good when there is no two music categories; the " serious one" and the"trash"
Oliver danced and sung his sad life, August Rush listen and creates music in the quest of his parents.
I was also amazed by so many negative revues by professional critics; don't' they dream sometimes? Eventually a recommendation by one friend is the most enticing incentive.
I had a dream and when I woke up it felt good.
Don't rent it, own it!
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2008
The story is totally implausible, Robin Williams is completely miscast and painful to watch and yet this is still one of the most beautiful and uplifting movies I have seen in a long time.

I went online and ordered the soundtrack about 30 minutes into it. If you enjoyed the music check out Newton Faulkner's 'Hand Built by Robots' he has a similar innovative style on the guitar and a a subtle humour to his lyrics you'd probably appreciate too.

Keep an open mind and watch this movie, you won't regret it!
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2016
We all need a little sentimentality in our lives; it can't all be doom, gloom, and cynicism. Particularly for gore hounds and fans of extreme and outre cinema like me, it's good to have that select few films that you know you can return to when you need to laugh, smile, or try to restore your faith in humanity. It's also nice, but rare to discover new ones. With an introduction like that, you'd expect me to say that August Rush is one such favourite or new find. While it is sentimental, and while I did (on the whole) like it, it isn't going to change anyone's world and it is neither shmaltzy enough or convincing enough in its plot and characters to give me cosy, snuggly feels.

The plot is this; an idealistic pair of young dreamers, both musicians have a fleeting meeting one night in New York, star-crossed lovers who share a brief, perfect night together. The next day they are swept apart and kept apart. Movie magic decrees that a single bout of unprotected sex ALWAYS leads to pregnancy, and a few months later a bambino pops out. There is treachery afoot and the boy is put into foster care. Over the years the boy seems to become a musical prodigy/Nostradamus and knows that his parents are looking for him. So begins an American Tail type journey as the boy flees to New York in search of his parents, meeting all manner of characters along the way and showing off his incredible musical ability. These scenes are interspersed with scenes of mummy and daddy both in search for each other and their baby.

I think the plot is interesting and it certainly has all the qualities for a heartwarming couple of hours. I think the writing though is a little lazy and the directing haphazard. Scenes leap around without warning or skill and after all the build up, the ending doesn't feel like a strong enough pay off. The melodrama is too bland, the more powerful emotive moments are left unexplored or hanging, and there is too much focus on musical scenes and discussions between secondary characters. The performances are uniformly strong - it's clear everyone had their hearts in the right places, but Freddie Highmore has an extremely irritating way of gawping and open-mouthing that had me reaching for the imaginary shotgun on several occasions. There are moments when the music is powerful, but it lacks a truly impacting score as I couldn't recall any of the music a few hours after watching; music in movies is something I'm very susceptible too and I can remember pieces for many years after only watching a particular film or TV episode a single time.

With a little shaving around the edges, a little more focus on the struggles of the characters, stronger direction, and less smiling from Highmore and this would be a much better movie. As it stands I would still recommend it, particularly for those who fall for sentimental movies, or old fashioned weepies with a slight fantastical twist. It feels a little like a disappointing missed opportunity as it has all the right parts for making a cult favourite. For people like me who need another Edward Scissorhands to cure the blues then it's worth a watch, but it may only cure boredom momentarily and leave us searching once more.
on 19 October 2014