on 29 September 2015
MGMT were always a band I knew for one track and one track only - Kids. Having heard this in 2008 on Now 72, this track remained my only exposure to the band, until happening upon them after looking up Time To Pretend from hearing it in an episode of Skins. All I can say is - this album is great. Catchy tracks that combine late 70s/early 80s neo-psychedelic music with modern pop and dance tracks make for a consistent set of tracks, with great meaningful lyrics (something that seems to be lacking elsewhere in today's music), great instrument playing (with solos and extended instrumental sections reminiscent of early Pink Floyd - Of Moons, Birds and Monsters is a stand out track on this front) and a few popular tracks to make it still appeal to the masses. Definitely a stand out album of the 00s (and definitely a unique band) and should be up there with the likes of Green Day's American Idiot, The Killers' Hot Fuss and Radiohead's Kid A in the best alt rock albums of the decade. For those who are skeptical of diving into what some may consider as slightly 'strange' music, check out Time to Pretend, then buy the album. You wont regret it.
on 9 March 2008
"Electric Feel" really blew me away when I heard it for the first time on the radio and I tried to guess who it was. I love the music and the falestto vocals just make it so hauntingly familiar and remenicent of the Stone's in the 70's on their albums Some Girls & Emotional Rescue. The feel of the track also made me think of the White Stripes... but on saying that I don't really want to compare the band to either of these bands because they are totally original when you listen more and play the album. MGMT will be a name I think everyone will be familiar with as this year goes on as once people hear them, they'll want to have their album, it did not disapoint when I heard it. Buy it and hear it for yourself.
on 23 March 2018
One of the really great albums of all time.
on 30 April 2017
Maybe my CD wasn't genuine but the recording was awful quality. Disappointed. Returned for a full refund.
on 22 December 2014
Another pleasant musical surprise I found only recently. Catchy tunes that stick in your head for the rest of the day with especially Time To Pretend being a classic on this album. It never fails to inspire me; one of the best songs ever made as far as I am concerned.
on 29 September 2017
Four Stars
on 17 May 2017
Quality pressing. Sounds amazing. Great LP.
on 27 April 2016
Arrived on time and in good condition.
Good sounds First hearing of this CD, impressed.
on 7 May 2008
I'm actually surprised by the 2 bad reviews this album has received because I've listened to the 'Time To Pretend' ep and Oracular Spectacular and have fallen in love with both. I originally avoided listening to MGMT because I believed they were most probably undeservingly over-hyped and a bit 'cooler-than-thou' for my liking. However, I'm sorry I procrastinated because now I literally can't get enough of their beautiful, psychedelic, Bowie-esque, electric gorgeousness. Oracular Spectacular is one of the best albums I've heard in ages and I'd urge anyone to give it a try.
on 20 March 2018
This duo is wonderful, great sounds and beats. Thank you for the prompt delivery, it arrived earlier than expected!