Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 March 2017
Came on time and as described
on 21 August 2007
This album after one listen was not bad. However, for the rest of the day i had random lines from the songs in my head and had to have another fix, straight after work. I am currently sitting at my desk, screaming out the irresistably desperate vocals whilst putting the air drums through the beating of their life! Need i say more..... Anywhere iv played this album people wanna know who it is. Get it and luve it!
on 22 May 2007
This is a great slice of Indie rock, with a heavy dollop of pop thrown in for good measure "Colour It In" is one of the better albums of the month, and possibly the year.

There are many sparkling gems to be found on this record, this is worth buying alone for "About Your Dress" "All in Your Rows" and "First Love"

All of which were the singles, as the vast majority of you would be well aware of but the rest of the play list is just a good as those three singles.

This is a record that is great to listen to on the CD version, but this will take on another dimension live, one to check out at this years up and coming summer festivals.

The production on this one is second to none, all of the record are well put together, but are not so over produced that all the soul has been sucked out the songs, which has happened on so many records.

All the songs on this record are filled to the brim with youthful energy, extremely distinctive vocals and great lyrics.

I really think that this is a band to watch for the future, as think that as the years go on they will only become a greater force to be reckoned with.

Defiantly a band that is defiantly worth the entire buzz that they have been picking up prior to the release of this debut effort.

The songs gallop along like a pack of pedigree stallions running at ascot, this is a cracking debut effort.
on 11 October 2015
I loved this album. Especially "Tooth Paste Kisses"! - is my favourite track of the whole album. The album is a happy, playful, soothing. I love listening to this album in my car. I bought their most recent album "Marks to Prove it" first. I liked that and started to work my way back wards on their earlier work. Give this album a chance. Song "X Ray" reminded me of Bloc Party's "Helicopter". Also check out the other songs in "Colour It In" such as "First Love", "Precious Time". I can't believe that I never came across their work in 2007 /2008! Enjoy! And happy listening!
on 14 May 2015
I have been a big fan of the Maccabees since late 2006, when i heard an acoustic version of First Love and i have been hooked ever since. I still personally think this is their best album, it has so many classic indie tracks such as First love, About your dress Toothpaste kisses, Lego etc. There is a real mixture of fast tempo indie tracks and love songs, its a great way to start off if you haven't heard a Maccabees album. I highly recommend this album is an absolute must listen to.
on 20 May 2007
Wearing a quintessentially English sound like a brand new pair of Dr. Martens, 'Colour it in' speaks of days gone by; a mid-20s crisis overcome by Indie coated staccato riffs and heartfelt lyrics adrift.

This band will one day lay alongside some of the classic British bands of our time (the Clash, the Kinks, the Cure) and firmly within the mindset of the 'myspace generation', to whom they are somewhat indebted.

This album will provide Sunday afternoon sing-alongs and Monday morning mime-alongs, it will bring a smile to your face, make you dance around your room and long to be sixteen again.

Yes this album has been much talked about and for the right reasons. It has the makings of a classic debut .

Bag your self a copy sharpish I say!
on 20 October 2011
I had listened to this album before purchasing it and never really listened to the lyrics. The lyrics are a bit random and don't always make sense but I like that light-hearted feel it brings. The songs remind me of an indie nightclub I used to go to and just makes me want to dance.
Since I had listened this album before, when it got to 'First Love' I noticed it was a different version, slightly slower and softer. There's also another song little at the end of the track. I was a bit disappointed at first as it wasn't the version I knew, but this one has grown on me now.
I'm going to see the Maccabees next week and I can't wait. They are definitely worth a listen.
on 9 October 2010
This is a very typical post new-rave indie guitar album that sounds at times a bit too hyper, however good stuff lies here for sure.

"Colour It In" is a debut album that is more in line with off-kilter British art-rock bands like Blur, Magazine, Futureheads etc. Remember the records of the time by Bloc Party or The Rakes; this is an early-twenties crisis album. It articulates that particular sense of struggle for identity. It hits between the last day of school and the first proper pay check. It's speaks of drinking, dancing and getting your heart broken all whilst looking back to childhood with a bittersweet wistfulness.

It's not all furrowed-brow guitars however. The closing track `Toothpaste Kisses' is a sweet 1930s-sounding ballad, an instant classic.

However and here is the big HOWEVER, if you are new to the band you should explore the second album "Walls of Arms" first. It oozes with a far more wistful, darker and self-assured sound and grabs the listener's attention with a more disciplined epic sound and with more frustrated and mature lyrics.

Colour It In is the warm up to Wall Of Arms, only visit if you feel yourself falling in love with Orlando's voice, which you inevitable will.
on 22 May 2007
So far this has to be my favourite album so far of 2007, energy in abundance with such a cool sound how can you go wrong! If you don't know, get to know, because you are missing out big time!
on 21 May 2007
Very good debut that grows on you more and more.The sound quality however is something else entirely.Compared to my other cd`s this album sounds like it`s a super audio cd (SACD) when of course it isn`t. Just goes to show what can be achieved with humble old cd if the effort is made.Even if I didnt like the songs I would still listen to it, especially on headphones, for the sound alone.

The fact that I love the songs too makes this album all the more complete.

Best musical purchase I`ve made for a while.