Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 January 2008
There will be generally two types of people considering buying this: 1) died in the wool Eels fans (of which I am one); 2) people new to the Eels sound.

If you are in the first group, there is not a great deal on this that you will not already have. Most of the twenty four tracks are from the albums (Beautiful Freak, Electro-Shock Blues, Daisies Of The Galaxy, Souljacker, Shootenanny & Blinking Lights And Other Revalations) but with a couple of interesting little additions. There is a Jon Brion remix of 'Climbing To The Moon', rendering it more melodic. Midway through is a bizarre but excellent version of Missy Elliot's 'Get Ur Freak On'. Works surprisingly well! A live version of 'Dirty Girl' breaks up the studio sound nicely, followed by the Shrek 2 song 'I Need Some Sleep'. These do all come together nicely, giving a compact review of the band's work so far.

If you are in the second group, this is probably perfect to get you into the singular Eels sound. Some people may have been put off by the darker sounds of the first two albums, or the seeming mis-match of almost pop tunes with distinctly un-poppy lyrics towards the later albums. However this takes you on a tour de force of the repertoire displaying the brilliance of the band for all to see!

A word to the wise, though: The DVD of music videos is in the American NTSC format, which wasn't displayed on the page (at least when I ordered it). Should be ok on your PC, but unless you have a NTSC compatible TV, it will come out in black & white!
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2008
A great romp through the Eels' work over the past 10 years and this just goes to prove what a fine collection of songs E and the guys have assembled, along with a few interesting bits and bobs added for the die-hard completists (such as myself) who need an excuse to spend a tenner on music they mostly have. This just goes to prove two things - 1) E is a fantastic songwriter and 2) the Eels is perhaps the most under-rated band out there today.

My only gripe is the lack of 'Cancer for the Cure' - itself a great single - on the CD, which is somewhat baffling. However, it gives newcomers to the Eels' work a great excuse to buy 'Electro Shock Blues' and dive deeper into the fantastic back catalogue.

The rarities twin CD set that was released alongside this CD on the same day is also highly recommended. Here's to the next 10 Eels years.....
on 14 February 2011
Downloading music is all well and good, but nothing beats being able to flick through the blurb as you listen to a new CD. This is the first Eels album I have purchased, though I have always liked anything I heard by them on the radio or TV. It's a great compilation, with very few tracks I would actually skip over. Best track: Flyswatter, closely followed by Novacaine for the Soul. Fantastic value too!
on 1 February 2008
This Eels compilation collects all of the classic Eels songs together and adds a remix, a live track and a cover version. Wonderful. This should not be purchased without the accompanying DVD which has 12 great Eels videos. A totally awesome CD + DVD package for a bargain price, and well worthy of a 5 star rating.
on 28 February 2008
I first saw the Eels as a three piece around 1997 supporting Pulp. They came on stage with Karate suits on, and played an odd set Unfortunately halfway through the set, the electrics went. So that was that. Around 2000 I heard Mr. E's Beautifull blues. I loved it. At the time I was a huge Oasis fan. I went and bought the new Album and Daisies of the Galaxy. The Oasis album didn't get a look in. It was, and still is, one of my favourite albums. I saw the tour and it was weird but great show with butch (we miss you) dressed as a devil, amongst other things. I next saw them on the with strings tour (2005). I was a reserved show, but again impressive, lots of people on stage. Missed the 2006 tour as the only played London in the UK and I don't do London. Onto last night (Feb 27 2008) and its the morning after I have just seen them again. Totally different show. Just E and a guy called Chet. E dressed in a boiler suit Chet dressed as if he a Joe Blogs in jeans a shirt. I guess what it comes to is you don't always know what your going to get but you know its going to be good. So this more retrospective than a greatest hits (They have never been a singles band really, just look at the Bonus DVD collection, only 12 videos). Every fan will feel there is something that should have been put on that isn't (Would have liked Getting High with Afroman myself) but I guess as its the Eels, they never do what you expect
on 2 March 2008
For some reason Eels had passed me by, but a week ago I bought Beautiful Freak and was hooked. Taking the advice of reviewers led me to buy this and it is simply excellent. As a newcomer it is a perfect distillation of all that is needed to appreciate this hugely talented and original band. Having become familiar with their backstory I can see clearly how these songs are at times moving, cathartic and downright addictive. As for the DVD that was a pleasant addition and just fits perfectly with the enigmatic image their music portrays. Big fish in a big pond.
on 5 March 2010
not really listened to much of the Eels, but this was a good purchase! Apart from the 2 or 3 tracks that I knew from their infrequent forays into the charts, I was more than pleasently surprised by the rest of the songs on this album.
on 14 November 2010
I love this CD, really haven't stopped listening to it since I bought it around 4 months ago...And I have tried!!! But keep grabbing for it every time...Highly, highly recommend it!!!!
on 9 July 2014
I am a self-confessed Eels fan, and have all their albums, but wanted something condensed for travelling in the car. This album has a lot of my favourite Ells tracks and would also be an easy way for a newcomer to get into the band.
on 6 December 2012
I had only heard the eels songs from the charts in the 90's but came across them again after hearing one of their songs in a film, i had a search for a suitable album, found they had a greatest hits and now own what i can only describe as a stunning collection of music on a disc. Highly recommended.