Although this review won't contain spoilers for One Foot in the Grave this is the second book in a series so if you've not read Halfway to the Grave I'd recommend reading that before you continue reading this review. This is a fantastic series though so would definitely recommend giving them a try!

The end of Halfway to the Grave saw Cat trying to protect Bones by leaving him to go and work for the government in a special department set up to fight vampires. One Foot in the Grave continues the story 4 years later - Cat has now established her vampire hunting team and trained her men in the same way Bones taught her in the past. But no matter how good their training has been her team are still only humans and can't protect Cat when she finds herself being targeted by vampire assassins. Bones has also managed to track her down and she is forced to turn to him for help. The attraction between them is still strong and Bones is determined not to let Cat get away from him again.

Wow, what can I say about One Foot in the Grave? I absolutely loved the first book in the series but this on blew me away! I am head over heals crazy about Bones - yes his British slang doesn't sound natural to a Brit but it suits him & I love the way he talks, he is also sexy as hell and the scenes between him and Cat are scorching. I'd heard a lot about the infamous chapter 32 but boy did it surpass my expectations and I think it may have ruined me for other paranormal romances :o)

If you liked the first book in the series then I guarantee you'll enjoy this one even more. It had everything I loved about Halfway to the Grave and then some. I've already mentioned how HOT it is but it is also action packed and full of twists that will make Cat rethink everything she has ever been told. We are introduced to some great new characters - I really liked Cat's team members Tate, Juan, Dave and Cooper and am looking forward to seeing more of them in the series. I enjoyed watching their interactions with Cat and the way they all looked out for each other.

Although this is classed as paranormal romance I would consider it one of those books that crosses over with the urban fantasy series & would recommend it to fans of both genres. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book and am looking forward to seeing what is in store for Cat and Bones in the future. If you are new to the series then I'd strongly recommend starting with the first book as it really does need to be read in order to get the full back story between the main characters but this is definitely one of my favorite series and one not to be missed!
on 21 May 2008
Cat Crawfield seems rather invincible. She's a half-vampire, half-human woman who works as a vampire slayer for the government. Four years have passed since the events in the previous book ('Halfway to the Grave') and she has been trying to move her life on after leaving her vampire lover, Crispin Randall, known as Bones although the cause of this name isn't explained in this book. However when Cat discovers that someone is trying to assassinate her she finds herself teaming up with Bones again to try to find out who's trying to kill her. Cat now has her own team of humans who help her in her vampire slaying and she has to overcome their prejudices against the undead as well as her own negative feelings towards Bones's former lovers.

There's plenty of action in this book - Cat's an invincible (almost) fighter although the fights have more realism than some as people do actually get injured. She's a lively and interesting character too although she does tend to leap into situations without properly reflecting on them some of the time. Cat's vampire-hating mother has a brief appearance in this book which is amusing but it's mostly about vampire politics, fights and Cat and Bones's relationship, as well as Cat's thirst for vengeance against her father.

Some of the dialogue for Bones felt a little awkward - he used English slang but sometimes it didn't quite sound authentic to these English ears. He was also slightly nebulous as a character - I didn't feel I really got to know him in the same way that I learned about the other characters. This issue was perhaps addressed in the previous book in the series, which I haven't read, but it didn't really detract from this story too much.

However I loved this book, felt it was well-paced and interesting with some good characters and with well-thought-out vampire lore underpinning the events. It has inspired me to pick up the first in the series and I will certainly look forward to the next offering from this author.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
4 years after HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE and Cat Crawford now heads an elite team of FBI agents dedicated to capturing and killing vampires and other undead creatures who prey on humans - a team that's earned her the nickname "the Red Reaper". However although Cat has tried to move on with her life - dating a vet called Noah and hanging out with next-door-neighbour Denise - Bones remains the love of her life. When she unexpectedly meets him again at Denise's wedding the chemistry is still there. She tries to resist him but someone has put a price on her head and while her men are well-trained, they can't protect her from this danger - only Bones can. As the two try to work out who's trying to kill her, their mutual attraction becomes overwhelming and Cat discovers things about her personal history that call into question everything she ever thought she knew about herself.

The second in Frost's Night Huntress series was a little disappointing. Although Frost does a lot of work in developing her vampire mythology and her take on vampire society is interesting, there isn't a huge amount of plot here and the mystery element is easy to solve. Indeed, the book itself feels rather like filler, a way to bring Cat and Bones back together in order to move the series forward with the next books.

The action set-pieces are well handled and exciting and the sex scenes are raunchy (although the anal was a little too extreme for me). Cat is a strong-willed heroine with an engaging narrative voice, although her blatant refusal to listen to reason or consult with anyone before carrying out her foolhardy plans is a little irritating. In fact, the only things I didn't buy was her reaction to the death of one of her team, mainly because there wasn't enough interaction between them or her failure to realise that another member of her team loves her.

Bones remains a British vampire written for a US audience, with the Britishisms being a little over-egged. He's written as being an arrogant, powerful being and if that's your thing then he'll tick all your boxes. Fortunately Cat's wilfulness cancels out the worst excesses.

It's not a bad novel and the ending offers up a good set-up to the next in the series, which will mean I read on.
on 22 March 2014
5 stars after a re read.

Cat and Bones have been apart for nearly five years and Cat works for a secret Govt agency taking out Vampires.

Bones is as ever, unapologetic, sarcastic, funny and sexy.

Cat has grown up since book 1, being apart from Bones and her work has made her harder, tougher and generally more kick ass.

It was a fast paced read, full of banter, action and fun.

How Cat and Bones first meet again after their separation was brilliant.

I love how much Bones loves Cat and is not afraid to show it.

More was introduced about Vampire society and other Characters, such as Ian and Mencheres are introduced here.

Great book in a great series!
on 4 July 2016
I adore this series, the second book did not disappoint. This is supernatural thriller romance at its best. There's steam and love but it doesn't completely overpower what every book is meant to have and that's an excellent story. This book is a fantastic story with well developed characters and lots of comedy to boot. So impressed with this author's style. Can't wait to read the next one.
on 8 April 2016
I waited a long time to read this series and wish I hadn't! Cat and Bones have a fantastic chemistry and although in some respects the books feel a little dated, I have been thoroughly enjoying them. Lots of new characters are introduced in this book and I like the way the series is going. Can't put them down once started! Well recommended.
on 2 May 2013
Brilliant follow up to the amazing 'Halfway to the Grave'

"You know the old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed?"

This book takes place 4 years after the first one. It is such a shame all that time was lost with no contact between the pair after Cat left Bones believing the separation would protect him, however in Vampire terms it probably isn't so bad.

Cat has come on leaps and bounds, she is now leader of an elite team who target violent vampires. She has grown up and ready to stand up for what she wants. However she is still feisty as ever and a great kick ass female character. No simpering damsel in distress here.

The pair reconcile and join forces again, hunting vampires. It isn't always plain sailing, there are past lovers, an infatuated teammate and a death threat directed towards Cat to contend with. However their relationship is much stronger than this time, Cat has grown up and is willing to fight anyone for Bones (even her evil mother).Their relationship takes a great leap in this book, you'll have to read to find out why.Cat also finds out about her father, who raped her mother and is determined to exact her revenge, however this remains unresolved for a future book.

The humour is just as good and the steam factor increases. One particular sex scene (you'll know when you read it) is off the scales hot.

There are some new characters: Ian (Bones' sire), Mancheres (Bones' grandsire), Denise (Cat's best friend) and Annette (Bone's former lover and a vampire sire by Bones) all who I believe will make future appearances.

"I know you left me because you thought you had to protect me, that I couldn't handle the obstacles before us. So you tried to get on with your life because you believed it would never work between us. But you see, I couldn't get on with my life because I knew we could work. I've been looking for you every day since you left me, Kitten, and I'm sick of being without you. You've had your shot at things, now let me have mine."
on 6 June 2012
Book 2 in Jeaniene Frost's excellent series about Cat Crawfield. If you haven't read the first (Halfway to the Grave) then you really should read that first.

Cat is a vampire slayer and this book continues 4 years after the first book finished, Cat left Bones, thinking that she was saving his life by doing so, and joined an elite paranormal division of the FBI where she heads up a squad of demon slayers. She's never forgotten Bones and although she's forging a great career and great friendships with her team she's lonely and misses Bones.

On a job to 'despatch' a vampire, she meets Ian and realises that he's Bone's friend. As she feels she owes Bones a favour, she lets Ian live..... I'm not going to give away the rest of the story but it's a good one!

There is alot of humour in Jeaniene's books, you can really feel the camaradary between the team and, if you're like me, you'll find you've got a silly grin on your face during some of it too. One sign that I love a series is that I spent the first few chapters anxiously waiting for Bones to reappear in Cat's life!

Generally I consider this to be an urban fantasy with some sex (some pretty hot sex!) rather than a paranormal romance. It's just so much more than a romance. The writing is good and fluid, the characters are people you want to get to know, the plot is well thought out and it's funny!

Thoroughly recommended.

ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE
ONE GRAVE AT A TIME
on 26 May 2009
I had really high hopes for this book and was disappointed, yes the story was fast paced with lots of twists and turns, there was also lots of character development with the likes of Tate etc, but I felt, like with so many books of the genre, most notibly the Rachel Morgan series, I don't like Cat's character I think she's a pain in the backside who doesn't appear to pocess any rational thoughts, Bones has migrated into the Dick Van Dyke school of English which at times was cringeable.

I also felt with this book that the author went too far with the main love senario which in fact spoilt it for me as it wasn't necessary. I agree that this book needed to be written and the premise was good, but again with many of these books is it really a series?? Maybe I'm just bored with these Buffy books now??
on 4 June 2013
It was better than the first one, though the beginning seemed to jump around a lot. Cat still refused to seek pertinent information before jumping into action, thereby stupidly endangering herself. That always drives me nuts. But I really liked Bones' almost obsessive desire to give her anything she wants or needs. I thought that the sex scenes weren't very good, if I'm honest. Too over the top, but not descriptive enough. But I appreciated that Cat finally had a support system and friends around her.