Customer reviews

Sensitive Skin Series 2 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 24 May 2008
Do you ever think that television has lost its way - taken its eye off the ball? In many ways it has dipped down to the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has become a misnomer of gigantic proportions. Dramas have become laden with cliché. Comedies rely more on Anglo-Saxon expletives than humour.
And the trailers!
Am I the only person to grow tired of the latest big thing before it's even been aired?
One episode of "Sensitive Skin" will restore your faith.
Released with little hype (as far as I can remember) this gem of a series is crammed with style from start to finish.
In series 2, Joanna Lumley is perfectly cast as the recently widowed Davina, cast adrift into a sea of unexpected meetings and happenstance.
Superbly written, deftly directed and understated throughout, the comedic moments seem to occur naturally, rather than being heavily sign-posted.The rest of the production all give fantastic support, especially Maureen Lipman, who rarely appears cast aginst type.Underscored with pathos and intelligence, laced with a perfectly pitched sound track, the series reaches the most satisfactory conclusion.
on 19 July 2017
Love anything with Joanna Lumley, she is such a brilliant actress and person. I remember seeing this series on TV many moons ago, and really enjoyed it, as much as the first viewing. It has a touch of sadness, but with humorous undertones, which life is all about.
on 24 February 2014
Really thought both series were great observation pieces of the aging process and how to deal with it at the level of personal relationships. How could it fail with JL and Steve Coogan's fantastic production company behind it ?
on 9 March 2009
I discovered the Sensitive Skin first series by accident long after it first broadcast. I loved it because it is so different from other TV series; it is very understated and quite slow in a way, yet tackling profound issues that affect all of us as we age. Buying the second series was a must. It's just as good as series 1. Joanna Lumley acts her part beautifully and the camera work is very evocative and well done.
on 26 April 2010
I had completely forgotten about this brilliant drama until a friend mentioned it to me a few weeks ago. I watched the first series when it was on TV but missed most of the second series. Everything about this series is pure magic. It is funny, sad, heartwarming and stylish. But nothing is overdone. Every line, smile, look and shot is understated. Joanna Lumley is perfect in this role as are the rest of the cast in theirs. Al was priceless. I missed his nervy, earnest character in the second series but it was still delighful and hearbreaking to watch. London looked great and the music was beautiful. Series 2 had a perfect ending but I still found myself longing to know more about how everyone's lives turned out.
on 28 June 2008
At 58, having just taken up singing again for the first time in 44 years the serendipity is that the opening music on this DVD "Come again sweet love" is the first madrigal I've ever learnt - almost as surprising as the serendipity when Davina rediscovers her lost 'son'!

This is an amazing series, keeps up the high standards set by the first. Beautifully written, directed by Hugo Blick and wonderfully acted by all. It has the same 'bittersweet tinge' as Butterflies and ranks as highly with me as 'The Wonder Years'. Start playing and write off the evening - three hours of joyous magic. I can't recommend this too highly!

Let's hope that Blick and the BNC can manage a series 3.
on 22 August 2016
I found this DVD only after seeing the Canadian version of Sensitive Skin. It was great to see the original series. However, not sure which one I actually prefer. Both Joanna Lumley (the UK original) and Kim Cattrall (the Canadian version) are great
on 1 November 2013
I thought Series 2 was funnier than Series 1 - I'd never heard of this series before but being a Joanna Lumley fan I thought I would see what it was like. Enjoyed Series 2 more but glad I got it.
on 12 April 2013
Quaint, quirky, funny, and sad. Individual stories successfully joined together to give a most satisfying conclusion. Joanna Lumley is perfect as Davina. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
on 4 June 2014
After series one I couldn't not get this. Lumley et al do a great job with what is a superb window on the world of what is, to many, a perfectly ordinary world..