on 27 March 2014
French and Saunders - bup a doowee doo! How daft are these two when they get together? Not only do these DVDs bring back terrific memories of being in my twenties, they remind me how Jennifer and Dawn made it possible for so called 'adults' to be just that little bit childish and showed us all how to have a good laugh at ourselves and enjoy life. They do, of course, still have that sense of childish humour today - and thank goodness for that!

The first DVD starts out slowly but with the assistance of the brilliant Raw Sex, Betty Marsden and various special guests - "Mrs. Moyet" is hilarious! - soon picks up speed and reaches a level of constant humour and silliness. I challenge anybody who saw these original programmes to watch 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' or 'Silence of the Lambs' without laughing out loud to the memory of French and Saunders' depictions. Fantastic.
on 30 November 2014
Never saw this when it originally aired (too young) but after recently watching the Absolutely Fabulous Box Set I decided to get this. It's fair to say that you can see the pair's comedy genius develop through the series. Dawn French is very lively whilst Jennifer Saunders is for the most the composed one. Raw Sex isn't my thing but some of there performances did offer a glimmer of comedy light. I guess i'm comparing this against the early Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer material, which in my eyes is much funnier, but for what it's worth this is a nice comedy trip from F&S early careers. I did find myself singing the "French AND SAUNDERS" theme tune to myself at work for a while.....
on 1 March 2017
French & Saunders once again prove why they are one of the best comedy duo Britain has ever produced. They're both funny, smart and bring you into their craft which they show how much love and respect they have for it.

Absolutely hilarious, I just wish bonus material was included.
on 7 April 2011
here in the united states we have only gotten to have compilations of the french and saunders shows. so i am thrilled to be able to watch all of them in their entirety. you should note that this is the complete SERIES. the specials are not included. i have most of the specials already so it's not as if i'm missing anything, but i'm baffled that they wouldn't just do an 'everything' box set of F&S. also take into account that on the back of the box in tiny little letters it says - due to contratual reasons certain edits have been made. (yes i know i mispelled contractual - that's how it is on the box!)

so this is not a 'complete' collection of F&S because:
1. some of it is edited
2. there are none of the specials (titanic, lotr, phantom millenium)

i'm still happy to have this and there are 19.5 hours to watch! i will OD on jen and dawn with that much to see.
just be aware of the things missing from a 'complete' box set.
10 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2009
Thoroughly enjoyed this box set from start to finish! I'd never seen the first series which is hilarious, quite slapstick and quite different to the rest of the series! They are masters of film parody, of course, but also the white room sketches and impressions are brilliant too. There are loads of famous guest stars throughout. I really liked the last series because it's very different in style to the rest but works! As if F&S would have to beg for air-time on BBC! Ha ha! I don't think these two can help but be funny. I will treasure this!
5 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2018
All the series they did together, hilarious from beginning to end. Well worth the purchase, and price was good too.
on 30 March 2018
Not enough female double acts like this
on 16 February 2018
great price
on 27 December 2015
Not as funny as I remember. Some sketches seemed way too long although others had me
Laughing out loud like the first time
I saw them.
on 24 December 2015
Could not stop laughing at the earlier series but as they went on the enthusiasm became thinner on the ground, and it was as if they could not be bothered writing any good lines