TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 January 2017
Cosgrove Hall, makers of Dangermouse, have here made what I feel is the definitive version of the many animated interpretations of Kenneth Grahame's bucolic British tale. A kind of neo-pagan animal based love story to British country-life, and a quaint late-Victorian/Edwardian English lifestyle.

I won't go into a story synopsis, I'm sure other reviewers will have done so, plus I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone lucky enough to come to this fresh. What I will say is that Cosgrove Hall did a stunning job on the animation: the characters, their clothes, the settings, all are pretty much perfect. It's clear a lot of time, effort, skill, and love went into this production.

The voice talent is great as well: Richard Pearson is a suitably diffident Mole, Ian Carmichael an aptly urbane Ratty, Michael Hordern a believably gruff and curmudgeonly Badger, and David Jason a wonderfully, effervescently silly Toad.

I might dock half a star for the songs, which are ok, but not up to the level of the production as a whole. Still, all in all, in a five star rating system, I'd err towards the full five. It's a beautifully realised and heartwarming slice of enchanting British folklore.
10 people found this helpful
on 21 November 2017
brought for little grandson ,to watch when weather not so good ,you cannot beat these stories, they are just timeless.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 May 2012
We watched this with our children when they were small and purchased this and Series 1 and 2 on a whim. We were not disappointed. The content, animation and characterizations by Ian Carmichael, Sir Michael Hordern and Richard Pearson are wonderful. As a late friend used to say all the time, "What Fun!!!!!" We enjoyed it thoroughly. "The Wind in the Willows" is a classic book that every child should have on their shelf and this film is one that every family should have in their collection. It is suitable for the a child of any age. Why should the little ones have all the fun?
13 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2014
I already had this original on tape. It was almost 'played out' while my grandchildren were small!
Later,I missed viewing the story so much ,but was thrilled to discover it is now available on C.D. The magic is still there , in all its potency !I have seen modern versions but oh dear me, NO !! They are not a patch on the exquisitely and sensitively produced original. A wonderful , going back in time , with all the joys this brings ! Happy viewing !
3 people found this helpful
on 27 April 2018
My children had this version of the DVD when they were little. I have now read the story to my Granddaughter and she was captivated. The DVD has lost nothing over the years and held her spellbound.
One person found this helpful
on 13 December 2017
Item arrived as described. Christmas present so yet to be tried.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2013
Grandchildren, chilly day, hot chocolate, loads of cushions, Christmas lights, sweets, iced cakes & an old fashioned tale - with none of the 21st century film violence & bad language! A wonderful adventurous story that everyone can enjoy.
12 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2013
To my mind this is the best rendition of the classic tale on the screen.

I watched it with my children when they were little, when I had it on video.

Transfered the video to DVD but, in readiness for watching it with my granddaugher, an upgrade essential.

At our last family gathering all the adults watched and enjoyed. So yuo don't need children as an excuse.

The character's voices are exactly as they shold be. David Jason's Toad is wonderful and never bettered, Horden's Badger just right and Ian Carmichael's Moley perfect.

The music has lived with me since I first heard it, it sums up friendship, adventure and lazy days along the river bank.

Timeless.
One person found this helpful
on 27 August 2011
I have long wanted to see this film on DVD. I was given the VHS tape by a friend many years ago and literally wore it out. Adult friends as well as children find it beguiling, beautifully made and entertaining. The animation is superb, down to facial expressions and detailed clothing. The music is wonderful. Anyone with an inner child capable of a sense of wonder will be captivated by this timeless film.
7 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2016
Awesome and a total hit with my five year old. It is her absolute favourite she says all she wants for Christmas is the book version ! I have sent for it and received it ( beautiful). The combination of enchantment ( the music, the riverbank and wild wood worlds, the sensitive filming and the fabulous voice overs) combined with the naughtiness of ( Toad) makes for a total classic.Adorable!