on 28 December 2015
Ciarán Hinds in my estimation is one of our most accomplished British actors, and anything with him in has great merit in my opinion and well worth watching. The Mayor of Casterbridge is one of Thomas Hardy’s very finest novels and I never guessed for one moment that anyone could do Thomas Hardy very sensational novel justice. But this adaptation is very faithful and true to the novel. Never at any point did I find the film boring, but extremely enchanting and captivating and all the actors are marvelous. The film captures perfectly Thomas Hardy’s 19th century world and the rural life which is at the heart of the story. If like me you love and adore Classic English Literature and might not have read the novel. This is a very great, plausible and realistic with superb acting and story telling. I wholeheartedly recommend this film as being marvelous and thoroughly entertaining. So buy it today you won’t be sorry.
on 3 June 2016
I haven't read the book so I can't say if it was true to the book or not, but this was a gripping story and a very emotional one. It left my husband and I needing to discuss the questions the book raised, such as the problem of evil and where it starts. We watched it several weeks ago and we are still thinking about it and wrestling with the issues and conundrums it raised. Very few movies do that and I recommend it, but its not for an evening of popcorn, chocolate and pink fluffy slippers on the sofa.

The movie is in two parts and I don't think you could get through both in one evening as it is intense and thought provoking.
on 16 November 2017
After reading the book I found it very enjoyable. Following the story line of the book quite closely and bringing the characters and scenery to life. Just as I imagined them.
on 15 April 2013
Thomas Hardy's wonderful portrayal of the ambition, rise and fall of one man and how his actions affect a whole village is a classic. That the DVD is almost as good as the book is about as good as it gets. Every one of the leading parts are played to perfection and the film beautifully captures the Dorset countryside, the poverty, the wealth, and the small things which make up such a rich tapestry of rural life in Victorian England. Ciaran Hinds plays the leading role with such skill that one completely forgets that he is acting a part.
on 6 April 2014
Ciarán Hinds portrays Henchard quite well, although Hinds doesn't do facial expressions. Fortunately, emotions aren't something Henchard likes to show.
I don't usually like dramatic adaptations of books I love, but I saw this one on TV and Jodhi May impressed me so much as Elizabeth-Jane, I wanted to watch it again. Even the book didn't have me in floods of tears as she did at the end.
Buy this just for Jodhi May's performance.
on 27 June 2014
I have always loved the author,and I remember watching this on tv,so I decided to get it on dvd,and I was very pleased I did. it is a lovely story,and very well acted. my husband had never seen it,and he doesent usually like period dramas and the like,but he really liked the mayor of casterbridge,and was pleased he watched it.
on 12 November 2017
Product arrived well packaged and as described. Very happy.
on 1 January 2013
A magnificent, accurate, enchanting version of the great novel by Thomas Hardy. Hinds becomes Henchard without being odious. Polly Walker is as beautiful as always, Jodhi May, acts as well as she knows and James Purefoy and the others keep the tone of the film. The landscapes are extremely beautiful and the hard story becomes as true as life.
on 8 January 2018
THE BOOK IS MUCH BETTER, FILM OK.
on 26 April 2017
Not a bad film, though lots of the book are missing from it. Still enjoyable