Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 17 July 2014
I love this adaptation of Jane Austens Sense & Sensibility. The Actors really have got the characterisations right Hattie Moran & Chariety Wakefield are wonderful as Elinor & Marianne, they have a wonderful connection on screen. Claire Skinner as Mrs John Dashwood is divine. To be honest I could go on & on about individual actors, you will not be disappointed they are exceptional.
My only criticism is that some scenes have been cut. I have the DVD which is uncut and it does flow better with all scenes.
It is however a wonderful watch, so enjoy.
on 24 October 2015
oh there are some cads and bounders out there!! Thoroughly enjoying my trip through classic literature courtesy of these amazon videos. Best bits is identifying the houses as you know you have been there and go again to enjoy it all the more
on 26 March 2017
Very enjoyable
on 23 August 2013
I love this story anyway and this version is great. I've watched it and my mum has borrowed it now. I can't wait to get it back and watch it again
on 7 April 2017
I'm afraid I have to disagree with the general consensus on this one. The film tells pretty much the same story as the book, with the same characters, but there the similarity ends. Only a fraction of the dialogue here actually comes form the book and many scenes are completely re-written, or do not appear in the book at all. The worst scene is the one where Willoughby arrives at Cleveland while Marianne is ill. Jane Austen's purpose was for us to see how wretched Willoughby's selfish behaviour had made him- actually ruined his life, and Elinor comes to understand him and pity him. This in no way comes across in the film, and to have Marianne standing eavesdropping on the scene was totally wrong. The locations are excellent, particularly the Devon cottage, and Hattie Morahan is a fine actress who makes a very good Elinor Dashwood. I've no doubt this would make a very enjoyable watch for anyone unfamiliar with the book, but I spent the whole three hours shouting "No, no, no!" at the screen. My advice is curl up with the book instead. (Then watch Emma Thompson's film, if you must watch something.)
on 26 April 2017
The video was faulty (these things happen!) but Music Magpie replaced it quickly and without quible. You cant ask for better service than that! The BBC version of Sense and Sensibility is far superior to the film version in both acting, location and costume in my opinion!
on 5 September 2014
Good.
I didn't bother watching this when it was originally on television, thinking that the Emma Thompson film was so good that nothing would match it and so I just wouldn't bother. Having watched the dvd under some persuasion from a friend, I'm quite ashamed of my ignorance and wish I'd watched it back then. This is simply an excellent adaptation which shows up faults I hadn't noticed before in the film version.

Charity Wakefield is a strikingly good actress, her portrayal of Marianne Dashwood makes that of Kate Winslet seem rather wooden. Wakefield exudes the natural, unaffected character of Marianne with so much depth that she truly lifts the heart and soul out of Austen's creation and is a joy to watch. Although Wakefield stands out in the cast, the other characters also are more 'real' and believable here. David Morrissey is a much more sympathetic Brandon, and you wonder how Marianne could ever have failed to fall in love with him at first sight. There is a really palpable sense of his having the same passionate, romantic nature as Marianne, which has been subdued by bitter past experience, only to be reawakened and eventually noticed by Marianne.

The settings, too, are sumptuously evocative. The cottage to which to Dashwoods move is no twee chocolate box cottage but a neglected, wind-swept house which combines the Romantic,desolate beauty of the wind swept Devonshire coast with the stark depiction of the poverty into which the family have descended, mirrored in Marianne's joy at her new surroundings and Elinor's practicality and concern at the challenges of their enforced new life. Add to the glorious scenery and excellent performances, the tempestuous and haunting music which permeates throughout, and you have a truly beautiful adaptation. One to keep and treasure.
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2017
Still reading this book/books but they are exactly what I thought they were and I'm enjoying them so what more is there to say. I look forward to reading them all during this summer when the weather isn't good enough to sit in the garden.
on 26 April 2017
Fantastic value for money looking forward to watching this.