HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 October 2008
Any book with a title stating the content is for "Dummies" is going to attract of the type of purchaser who feels they do not possess whatever technical expertise is required to master the subject. That is why I purchased this book.

Technology may be moving ahead at an incredibly fast pace, but it does not mean we ordinary mortals cannot keep up. I mention this because, when I purchased this book, I had already acquired Adobe Photoshop CS3 but this series of books had not yet produced an updated version for CS3. Nevertheless, I am glad I got this copy because it goes all the way back to basic training before bringing the reader forward - step by step, to an area of expertise.

The very concept of digital imaging is explained in a manner which gives those who are new to the subject a fundamental understanding which will then stand them in good stead for all time. The author then takes the reader through a series of progressively more difficult tasks always building on what has been learned so far. These include enhancing digital images, Creating "Art," Power Photoshop and much more besides.

Having, as I said, already purchased CS3 and attended three days of professionally run courses on the subject, I thought I might be coming to this book as a bit of a "know it all." Not so! There is much to learned from this product and it is always interesting to see another approach to the teaching of the subject. Learning from a book also allows you to go back over the same area again and again until you get it right. You can't do that in a classroom!

If you really are new to Photoshop and all the complexities that go with it, a copy of this book really should help you provided you are prepared to sit down and study the content - step by step, and put it all into practise.

NM
on 19 July 2017
I'm the CS2 dummy and while I have no doubt that it is technically good it assumes far greater knowledge than I have. Sadly a waste of money for me.
on 15 September 2005
The Dummies books are normally very good, short and sweet intros to a program that can be read in a few hours before one goes on to deeper training in a bigger book. Unusually for the Dummies series, this one suffers from being ill-defined: it says it is a reference book, but there is, for example, no complete or even partial list of tools and no appendix for where to find specific adjustments or fixes. (The index can't fill in more detail than what is in the text.) It gives a good introduction to the Raw file format, but only cursory treatment to many, more basic features of Photoshop, such as cropping and resizing. If you don't know, for example, what the Curves dialog shows you about an image or exactly what the Color Sampler does, you won't find any explanation here. (By contrast, Bauer does much better in describing what histograms show.) As for so many features, these are mentioned, even described, in passing, but not explained.
on 27 August 2009
great book is you are a bit of a dum dum with photoshop.

well laid out and easy to understand as is all the "dummies" books.
on 3 June 2015
It's a very good, informative book, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as being perfect for the absolute Photoshop beginner. A little knowledge of the program is needed to make the most of this book.
on 8 January 2014
A very useful source of reference for things I may have forgotten. It also gives me a lot of ideas to try. And it arrived very quickly which was a definite plus point.
on 28 February 2011
Brilliant overview of Photoshop CS2. Having used Photshop semi-professionally for years I believed I was on top of the game. Taught me things I thought I already new - but actually didn't. Very readable and full of tips and tricks even for pros. Remember, familiarity breeds bad habits, so read the book and refresh your memory!
on 13 January 2015
Good book but Photoshop hard to get head around - my fault not the book !!! well packaged and good price
on 4 May 2015
Not as straight forward as I expected ie. not really for Dummies!
on 10 January 2017
not bad at all. well pleased with the condition