Colour: Black|Change

on 26 November 2011
I recall having one of the larger lamps at art collage back in the early 1980s and I ditched it in a skip after buying a "long lamp bulb" style lamp from a high street store. WHY DID I DO THAT! Now, I have gone back to the most iconic lamp (the 75 version) for my home desk. The "installation" took less than 60 seconds, and with the supplied bulb it is perfectly balanced. The bulb, by the way, is a screw-in version and is bright and WHITE-LIGHT (and turns on immediately without any "warming-up" time as you get with some energy saving bulbs. Impressive.

The base is VERY sturdy and heavy and will not allow the lamp to tip over. The desk clamp (at a pricey £19.00) looks interesting and will buy this separately later.

The only design issue is the "in-cable" switch - I am sure that earlier designs had a button on the lamp shade/fitting to press. This would be better than the "in-cable" version. A minor quibble. Very minor.

Overall, this is stylish and a talking point with friends & visitors already after three days!

John Lewis stores sell this for £110 (26.11.2011) and I bought mine during BLACK FRIDAY deals for £47.99 reduced from AMAZON's standard selling price of £75.00.

Yes, it may be expensive for a lamp but it will last for decades.
on 17 January 2010
Had an anglepoise lamp from when I was 14 yrs old until about 7 yrs ago when it needed rewireing. This was a job never done! Then seeing the newer Anglepoise 75S thought about getting a new one. The service was great and arrived speedely. I proudly put it on my bedside table. Its fantastic you can angle the light anywhere. The best lamp ever!! I now want my children to have one each for their desks. They last forever...nearly
on 8 March 2016
I ordered a cheap imitation one of these to use in my sewing room and it was hopeless light wise and height wise. I therefore took the plunge and ordered this and I am thrilled with it. You definately get what you pay for and this was worth the money to me. It is a brilliant height and is easily adjustable to get the light just where you need it. I had been looking at getting an original vintage 70's/80's one of these as my only negative with these newer ones is that the switch is on the cable not on the back of the lamp as in the older versions. But, this just blends perfectly into my room and gives great light.

It is impressive that it comes with it's own light bulb and as it is an eco one it will last a long time.

You attach the base to the lamp unit with a small screw and allen key. The lamp swivels easily on the base and you can adjust the lamp arm and the lamp itself to get the light just where you need it. Be aware that it is rather tall, if you were looking to use this as a bedside lamp, it is too big, i'd suggest the mini desk lamp they do for that.

I feel this investment will last me for many years and will not date style wise as it is an updated version of a classic design, that are currently very sought after.

I love the brushed alluminion, it reminds me very much of an apple product with the finish on it.
on 31 August 2011
I previously had a similar anglepoise which I'd had since the 70's - yes it lasted that long! This new lamp had to be assembled, with just a small grub screw holding the lamp to the base . . . It also comes with one of those toxic, mercury-filled curly whirly bulbs, which make it look slightly ridiculous. The instructions (and illustration inside the shade) specify use of the enclosed category of 15w bulb or balance is affected. I telephoned anglepoise and complained, saying I'd prefer a halogen, and why were they so prescriptive when it came to the bulb. They told me a 60w max E27 screw-top should be okay, but not too heavy or it might mess up the balance. I tried a halogen golf-ball type bulb and it then gravitated towards the ceiling. I tightened the grub screws on the side springs and it works okay now. Anglepoise make a big deal about their new design. Frankly I wasn't impressed and nearly returned it. I would describe this lamp as a poor parody of a classic original.
review image
on 8 December 2009
It's brilliant! It's as much fun as the Pixar lamp you see bouncing up and down in the film production. I was worried the energy-saving bulb would mean it wasn't bright enough, but it's fine for working late into the evening without getting tired eyes. We bought an elegant chic black one. So glad we didn't go for a cheaper alternative that we'd grow tired of. And it's not a bad way of smartening up a room, beats decorating...
on 21 January 2010
My son asked for this lamp for Christmas and he is delighted with it. This is the original Anglepoise design and is a classic; elegant and superbly practical, a model of brilliant design and engineering. For those who appreciate good looks, style and function over a brightly-coloured piece of plastic that will be outdated and worn-out in a couple of years, the original Anglepoise lamp is number one!
on 16 July 2010
This consists of a power cord, with an in- line on/ off switch, a heavy weighted base attached to a spring- balanced support structure and jointed armature, and a lamp shade. The support provides complete 360 degree rotation and a lamp height range of 55 inches (half of which is when the lamp's bent double over an edge.) The lamp shade mounting gives a further 240 degrees of twist and 45 degrees of tilt.
If you place this product in the middle of an empty room and switch it on, there is no part of the room you cannot illuminate.
Provided in the box are Allen keys, which you use to set up the resistances in the joints to suit your own preferences. You also get a small bag of spare parts- the plastic washers which line these various joints. A low- energy bulb is provided. This runs very cool, so you can grab and move the shade safely no matter how long it's been on.
Finally, as a bonus, there's a pack of cool postcards, illustrating the Anglepoise range.

This lamp is called model 75 to mark the 75th anniversary of the Anglepoise range. It says it all that such a durable product, (carefully used, they should never need replacing,) which is far from the cheapest on the market, is still selling well, as it was in my Grandfather's day.
Definitely recommended.
on 8 February 2013
I bought this because i'm about to start a graphics-based university course and i wanted a good-quality lamp to use. When i unwrapped the lamp, i was initially very impressed with it's feel and finish. However, the problems began when i tried to attach the main body of the lamp to the base. The main body inserts into the base and is then secured/prevented from falling out/being pulled out of the base by means of an absolutely tiny (and i mean tiny) grub screw with an 'allen-style' head (rather than a larger screw with a proper 'screw-style' head). I carefully inserted the main body into the socket in the base and (using the allen key supplied) very, very carefully and slowly started to tighten the grub screw. The allen key almost immediately began to run-round (having stripped the allen-style head in the grub screw). I had no idea if the screw was in as far as it should go and i couldn't get it out again (because the head of the screw was wrecked). The main body seemed loose in the base because it rocked from side to side. I phoned Anglepoise to ask them about the problem/to get their 'expert' advice because i thought they may be interested in a potential problem with their iconic design (or perhaps even a bit concerned). The first person i spoke to, gave the strong impression that he really (really) couldn't care less (because there was just a 'grunt' i had to ask if anyone was actually there when he 'answered' the phone-not a good first impression to give a customer). Eventually, i asked to speak to his manager, who seemed only very slightly more bothered. She informed me that they had been having trouble with soft metal in the grub screws, but she could offer no advice other than to return it to where i bought it (Amazon). However, now i couldn't dismantle it to put it back in it's box (because the head of the retaining screw was 'wrecked' and i couldn't undo the screw) and to send it back to Amazon. Eventually she said that she would send me another screw, having tested it herself to check that it was one of the harder, 'new-improved', non-defective ones (that really Amazon and i should have received in the first place before it was too late). I did try to make her understand that i couldn't get the old screw out in order to screw in the new one, but anyway.......) The point is, that this lamp is marketed and then purchased as an iconic, good-quality product which has been knowingly sold with a defective part and that the standard of service was absolutely dire. I would like to have bought a couple more of these in the future, but.........
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2011
This lamp is easy to assemble. I was worried when it arrived in pieces because I thought it might take ages to put together. All you do is put the top onto the base, secure it with a screw and then clip the ends of the two springs on. (The other ends are already connected.) Simples. I like the matt black finish. The shade is nice, too, because it has ventilation holes at the top so it doesn't heat up at all. The base is heavy, too, which means that the lamp can be manipulated and positioned with one hand - no need to put the other hand on the base. Cheaper copies probably skimp on this to save costs. And it works beautifully - it is so light and well balanced, in equilibrium, that it is infinitely manoeuvrable and responds to the lightest touch. Lastly, it is a lovely ornament - like having a work of engineering on the desk. And it comes with a bulb! Top marks.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2012
Anglepoise Type 75 Desk Lamp, White

An expensive lamp. But I have bought cheap copies of this style of lamp before and been disappointed when some plastic part broke, rendering the lamp useless. All the important parts seem to be made out of metal so it should last well.

The only irritating thing about this lamp is the fact that they have positioned an on/off rocker switch on the lead, 40cm from where it exits the lamp casing, and not on the rear part of the lamp shade as in previous models. They may have done this to squeeze a bit more profit out of the product!?

The energy saving bulb 15w starts very quickly and certainly chucks out as much if not more light than an incandescent 60w!
>>>> UPDATE, after 7 months the bulb burnt out! I bought this as a replacementSylvania Energy Saving Spiral Fast Start 6,000 Hour 15w (75w Equivalent) ES / E27 / Edison Screw Cap Warmwhite weighs 50 grams, but doesn't over balance shade.

Positives:
+ nice looking
+ stable
+ chucks out loads of light
+ only burns 15 watts of power

Negatives:
- After 7 months of average use the bulb started to flicker, then went poof leaving a nasty smell, I hope it wasn't vaporised mercury!!
- An on off switch which dangles on the lead
- Expensive