TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 October 2015
Tested in the field and more harshly at home - and it outperforms its name!

The first day I had this, it came in handy to jot down a phone number whilst out walking in the rain.
No fussing about trying to shelter the paper, like with a normal pad; just open it up, write, close and back in the pocket.
Job done :-)

I wanted to push the limits and see just how much abuse a sheet could practically take, and the results were very impressive.
I tested writing with:
* An HB (softer) pencil
* A 5H (harder) pencil
* A generic ballpoint pen
* A generic permanent marker
* A generic wax crayon
and
* A Fisher "Bullet" Space Pen

Marks made on the paper before wetting, with all the above, remained intact after complete submersion in water for 15 minutes (the length of time my testing took, not an upper limit).

I could write successfully with both pencils, and the Space Pen whilst the paper was completely submerged and significantly softened by the water.
I half expected the hard pencil to tear the sheet, but there was absolutely no problem at all; it was just like writing on good quality dry paper.

After being wetted, the paper does soften a little, but will dry out just fine, and although it gets a little crinkled, is practically none the worse for wear.

One benefit of pencil, is the ability to erase the marks, and I decided to test if pencil could be erased from wet Rite in the Rain paper.
It was no surprise that the paper was badly damaged by the attempt, but astonishingly, although the surface layer was rubbed away with the pencil marks, the eraser didn't go through or tear the sheet!
The resulting damaged area was slightly more translucent and rougher, but remained intact, so after being dried, could have been reused.
This proved to me just how durable this paper really is.

Normal wet paper will disintegrate if you look at it too hard, but this actually stood up to be written on with a hard pencil whilst fully submerged in water for at least 10 minutes, then being rubbed with an eraser enough to remove the upper surface and pencil marks - and was still a useable sheet of paper!!
Awesome stuff. Really great solution to a frustrating problem.

As a bonus, the inside of the tough plastic cover is printed with useful unit conversion metrics, measuring rules and map scale guides.

The pad size is perfect for a breast pocket, and the ring binder is of a heavy enough gauge to remain cylindrical under duress (some lesser quality pads don't tear off well).

Totally satisfied. Great product.
23 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2015
A great invention! This is truly a special type of paper as opposed to some of the other waterproof notebooks that use plastic pages. Can be written on with marker pen (a la Sharpie), pencil and ballpoint pen, whether dry or wet. (I even once wrote a message using a matchstick dipped in cammo face paint!). For ballpoint pens, you will probably get the best out of either a Space Pen or a Uniball Power Tank. These are both waterproof pens (the Uniball being the cheaper and 'cleaner') and able to cope with the perhaps slightly waxy paper texture.

I have used this paper, multi-folded for making long-lasting, tough dry bag labels and I also used it once, folded into a spoon shape to eat my office yoghurt under 'combat conditions'.

Highly recommended.
8 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2018
This is a tidy little notepad that works well in the rain. Mine got a bit damp, but not sodden, so I can't comment on how it performs in a full on down pour. But from the few drops of water I did get onto it, it worked well.

I was worried the pages would feel waxy and horrible to touch, but they don't. They do feel like normal paper which is good. The book itself is durable. I had it in m pocket for 4 days while hiking, and it held up very well.
on 15 July 2017
This jotter is fabulous. I use it when I am out taking part in my favourite hobby which is photography. I have used it with pen and also pencil in light rain and it is amazing it works and did not go soggy!!!! Ideal for use in our British weather!! It is very well made and would definitely recommend you to buy it if you are unsure. You will not be disappointed!!
2 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2016
Still maintaining their materials standards, quality remains good, though some pen brands do smudge if not let time to dry, or if wet and immediately rubbed by hand, some people find the templates supplied superfluous, well they do make a good emergency spoon.
4 people found this helpful
on 20 December 2017
Smaller than I thought although the measurements were clear in the description so this is fine .Nothing much to say about a notebook . Able to write in the rain which was the purpose I got this for my daughter who is in cadets :)
on 3 April 2017
This pad replaces my old BCB waterproof pad. In comparison it feels and works just like paper as opposed to the BCB pad that felt a bit cheap and shiny. The yellow makes sure you don't loose it on the hillside or forest and its covers are very strong. I also love it's compact pocket size.
on 22 March 2017
These are great, I brought 2 for doing fieldwork in Borneo. I like the fact they are brightly coloured, makes them very hard to loose. My book got rained on and covered in mud but still was easy to write in and all my notes are still readable. I recommend only writing in pencil in them, I think pen would easily smudge. Over all happy with these books, I would purchase again!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 May 2015
A small notepad of treated paper which doesn't go soggy when it gets wet. The inside covers of the pad also contain some useful map reading measurements and conversions. Combined with a Fisher Space Pen, this pad is great for use outdoors in bad weather.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2016
These are excellent waterproof notebooks, permitting naturalists etc. to keep going in vile conditions. The top spiral binding is good until it sheds the back cover! Hence only 4 stars. I habitually use this brand and so I am being mean: a rubber band helps hold everything together. The paper takes pencil well even when page damp. The imperial and metric rulers on the rear cover are very useful. Bright colour helps find it when dropped, especially at night, and makes book stand out in photos if used to show scale, e.g. of animal tracks.
Delivery prompt