TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 December 2016
After the excellent Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus double, this keeps up the momentum Cave has established over the years, so that a Cave album is now something of an event. He followed this up with two career-highs, Push the Sky Away and the understandably bleak but beautiful Skeleton Tree, his muse quieter yet just as insistent and energised.
These eleven songs are a varied lot, from the in-your-face title track to the vaguely Dylanesque We Call Upon the Author {good title, good song} to the lyrical Jesus of the Moon, ending with the almost singalong More News From Nowhere.
For someone new to Nick Cave who wanted to hear a recent album that isn't too withdrawn or full of slow songs, this would be a perfect introduction. At the time the man himself thought it was the best he'd so far made. It's full of energy, and that urgent, sexual edge Cave's made his own.
This superb album can hold its head high in his run of 21st century Cave paintings. In fact, the more I listen to it the more it sounds like a classic.

Author, author!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2012
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds simply go from strength to strength. Whilst Dig, Lazarus, Dig!! might not quite reach the superlative creative achievements that were No More Shall We Part and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, there are some wonderful moments here. The Bad Seeds have matured over the years to become one of the outstanding 'big' bands in music, perhaps even vying with the E Street Band (in their heyday) for top spot.

Standout song for me is probably the lyrical epic that is We Call Upon The Author To Explain. This is a marvellous Cave rant, delivered in his near unique style which actually makes the likes of messrs Haines and Morrissey seem like tame kittens. Whether Cave is actually complaining about obtuse literature or (more likely) objecting to the voice of critics who constantly question of the meaning of literature (and, probably, song lyrics) becomes somewhat irrelevant as Cave lists just about every global crisis ('rampant discrimination, mass poverty, third world debt, infectious disease, global inequality and deepening socio-economic divisions') before screaming 'WE CALL UPON THE AUTHOR TO EXPLAIN'.

Other highlights are up-tempo rockers Today's Lesson and Lie Down Here (& Be My Girl) which demonstrate the tightness and exemplary playing of the Bad Seeds, whilst the more reflective Hold On To Yourself and Midnight Man find Cave's vocals as soulful as ever.

I only hope that the Bad Seeds do not suffer too much from Mick Harvey's departure and that Cave continues to record with the band.
on 6 March 2010
A few weeks ago I heard the title track of this CD on 'The Last Splash' on Today FM and was sufficiently impressed with what I had heard to investigate further. I have only listened through the CD twice, but I must say that I like what I have heard so far. To date my only experience of Nick Cave had been the superb Johnny Cash interpretation of The Mercy Seat, so the man himself is virgin territory to me. My initial impression of the opening and title track was that it is somewhat musically reminiscent of The Velvet Underground. Unfortunately, however throughout the CD I am put in mind of Talking Heads where the vocals are concerned, but I am learning to ignore that blemish. Outstanding tracks at the moment are Dig, Lazarus, Dig / We Call Upon The Author / Lie Down Here (& Be My girl) / Midnight Man / More News From Nowhere. An album worth investigation, and one that has something to say.
on 14 January 2018
Pour les fans de Nick Cave
on 20 October 2009
Simple review this one, the album is fantastic so go and buy it! Every track is strong in its own way and the overall result pushes on from other recent stuff from Nick Cave (like the dark and slightly fitful Grinderman). The boppy stuff doesn't sound commercial either, which is a feat few manage successfully. I went straight out and plugged a few gaps in my back catelogue, only to slighty regret my enthusiasm when they arrived and I played them... but that's for another review...
on 23 April 2014
One for the collection,

Great tracks,

Recommended for cd / download.

A****
Please consider Amazon for your next purchase for great prices & Deals.
on 17 September 2014
The item arrived exactly as described, and before I expected it. Buy with confidence.
on 15 June 2015
different slant to life for sure.
on 26 April 2014
I just love this album, a real rocker. First heard some of the tracks on the BBC sessions and liked them at first listen. Bad Seeds live are great and the album is just as good.
on 7 April 2016