Customer reviews

God Is Great [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 30 January 2015
As the opening credits started to the sound of Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter’s What Is This Thing Called Love, and with a cast that includes Audrey Tautou, Edouard Baer, Julie Depardieu and Catherine Jacob amongst others, I sat down to watch what would hopefully be an enjoyable if probably light-hearted film. Soon enough though, I thought I might be wrong: The plot such as it is, is week and possibly undeveloped, the cinematography appears inadequately lit and with shaky camerawork at times (though this may be down to the constraints of budget) and by the end of the film this hadn’t got any better.

I notice at the time of writing this review that no one had rated it five stars, which is a shame since, given the cast alone, God Is Great And I’m Not could well have been a five star film and by popular consent. For me what lets it down is the plot (or lack of it), more so than the camerawork. The acting on the other hand is indeed very good from all the cast. But for all their good work the film comes across as somewhat disappointing.

This is not a bad film and I wouldn’t discourage anyone from watching it but I would say it is a film I won’t be in a hurry to watch again.

On the DVD you get:

God Is Great And I’m Not (1 hour 38 minutes)
Scene Selection
Bonus Features:
Making Of (35 minutes approximately)
Deleted Scenes
Photo Gallery
Trailer
Filmographies (Audrey Tautou, Edouard Baer and director Pascale Bailly)
on 30 September 2016
A deceptive little film. As a couple of other reviewers have pointed Tautou's character is a little irritating but she is after all only 20, a little naive and searching for some meaning. Her partner is much older than her at 32, but like a much younger man still avoiding any attachments - the two are mirror opposites who eventually travel in the same direction. There are many obvious references to Woody Allen, including whole scenes lifted, such as the discussion in the cinema queue, the rambling lives well-heeled characters etc...if maybe lacking some of the humour. Though not a 5 star film - i thought that I would re-balance some of the very unfair criticism this film has received, as it is actually very good and well worth watching.
on 30 August 2006
Audrey Tautou is one of my favorite French actresses, and that is the reason why I decided to watch this film. I remember that before renting "God Is Great, and I'm Not" ("Dieu est grand, je suis toute petite") I thought that if Tatou was in a movie, the movie couldn't be too bad. I don't believe that anymore. She is a wonderful and incredibly charismatic actress, but she can make mistakes, and this is one.

In this film Tatou plays Michelle, a beautiful young woman that works as a model and wants to find the inner balance she lacks in a religion. That is the reason why she goes from being Catholic to Buddhist, and then ponders the idea of converting to Judaism as she falls in love with Francois (Edouard Baer), a secular Jew. The problem is that, after some time, Francois is not "Jew enough" for her, something to be expected as Michelle is given to extremes. That wreaks havoc on their relationship, something that this film shows to perfection.

Now, why do I have problems with "God Is Great, and I'm Not"? Why don't I like is as much as "Amélie", if the plot I just talked about isn't contrived or trite? From my point of view, the reasons are many, but I will save you some time and just point out the more important one, that is that this film seems unfinished. I am not talking about an open ending (like the ending of Rohmer's "A summer tale", a film I love), but rather about the kind of ending that makes you wonder whether the dvd you rented is a fake copy that lacks part of the film you just finished watching. Have you ever felt like that? Then you can understand how I felt after spending more than an hour and half watching this film... Not recommended.

Belen Alcat
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2004
This is a quirky film about a very annoying character, Michelle, played by Audrey Tautou ("Amelie.") Michelle is on a spiritual quest, fueled by her totally absent past ("What was my father like?" she askes her terminally nervous mother. "The past is past" replies Mom, and that's all Michelle ever learns.) As a result, she annoys her friends and alienates her lovers on a spiritual search that ranges from Catholicism, Buddhism and comically, Judaism, inspired by a Jewish boyfriend whose parents live in Israel but is about as Jewish as Brie cheese.
The character played by Tautou is irritating and yet there is a bit of Michelle in all of us, searching when young to find out who we really are. The film is amusing and sad all at the same time. While I did not like Tautou's character, her portrayal was fantastic, and the supporting cast was excellent. This is less whimsical than "Amelie" and shows a few more sides of Tautou, though there is a bit of a similarity here in the role of a weirdo-ingenue. A fine little film that would appeal to young and old alike.
on 30 April 2014
Great this film isn't - but it isn't bad either. In essence it is a vehicle for Audrey Tautou's talents and if you are a fan of hers you'll love this, though it isn't Amelie, which was made the year before this movie. I was suprised by the chronology as often this film looks like a piece made by newly qualified film students with somewhat jerky photography and editing. Presumably Miss T must have been hot property after the relaese of Ameile, yet this feels like she is struggling for recognition as promising unknown.

Is it too obvious to say that this reminded me of a Woody Allen comedy with many gags relating to being Jewish and Judaism. And moments of the movie do compare well to the master of the genre.

I could have deducted stars for the shell suits and perms. My how the world has moved on.

Note: I purchased this on the high street in the UK so it doesn't refer to the US import which is the only place I could find it on Amazon.
on 1 February 2016
This is a strange movie about a spiritual girl, Michele (Audrey Tautou), who falls for an aggressive and charmless man, Francois (Edouard Baer). He does nothing nice for her (well, one thing - he buys her a book) and yet she stays with him. He is controlling, critical, jealous and unpleasant and offers no redeeming characteristics (unless you count being a vet a redeeming characteristic), yet still she sticks to him - very strange. This nasty man is devoid of spirituality and, apart from wanting to conquer and control her, shows no hint of genuine affection in his actions towards her, other than physical embrace.
I say nasty because he latches on to Michele after a party where she is obviously upset and emotional from breaking up with her boyfriend. Clearly a predator, he follows her and when she wants to go to church to pray on her own he interrupts her prayers and takes her to his home for sex. Being in a highly emotional state, Michele is not really ready for this and ends up trying to commit suicide. His reaction to this is anger and he distances himself from her. This, to my mind, is the work of a nasty man.
As soon as the intimacy between them is lost he becomes abusive, abrasive and critical. I watched the film wanting to know why she is supposed to like him. It didn't work for me. Her ex-boyfriend is far kinder and yet, inexplicably, she dumps him.
I think Audrey Tautou is one of the very best actresses in the world. Her fluency of expression is superb, and her emotional range and depth is phenomenal. She brings the flawed character of Michele to miraculous life but, for me, the dynamics of her relationship with Francois just didn't make sense.
Not a bad film, just about improbable people.
The French title of the film seems more appropriate to me than the English one, some subtlety lost in translation.
on 21 February 2008
I loved A Very Long Engagement and Amelie where Audrey Tautou was enchanting. Sadly, God is Great, I'm Not could be the epitaph for this film The film was so bad that my partner and I decided to switch it off after the first half. The photographic technique of free hand filming and jumping frames made me think of a production like the Blair Witch Project. There was no apparent plot and it just became very boring. Overall a very disappointing film.
on 29 December 2014
So boring, I have no idea what's it's about. Couldn't watch it to the end.
on 25 August 2012
God is Great was very disappointing,in fact we did not bother to watch it till the end.
We are fan of Tautou but this must have been accepted by her when she was in need of publicity or short of cash...!
I do not recommend this dvd
on 17 January 2015
It plods along and it gets nowhere. Disappointing