on 17 October 2017
This is a moving and highly enjoyable "rock opera" based on The Beatles' wonderful music and with real settings that reflect the time and places in which The Beatles revolution began and spread.
The script, direction, cast and production values are all first class. Most of the songs are sung well by the actors and lose nothing in the freshness and inspiration with which they are performed, and in their context within progressive scenes as the charming, absorbing story unwinds.
My friends and I grew up in the sixties and for us this was a delightful, nostalgic trip back to a special time in our lives. The film's modern production values and upbeat presentation of the songs also give it strong resonance for younger lovers of music and romance.
Not to be missed!
on 2 June 2014
Visually stunning film brought to life in vivid colour on Blu-ray Disc. I love the Beatles music and the way it's portrayed in this musical is absolutely brilliant. Evan Rachel Wood has a beautiful voice, Jim Sturgess sings well, as do the rest of the cast, also and the Beatles songs are not carbon copies but are given modern twists. The special effects are amazing in combination with the classic songs, I love Lucy in the Sky at the end, so psychedelic! Nostalgic but with a modern twist, excellent!
on 16 August 2011
I stumbled across this film by accident and I am so glad I did; like someone else pointed out, the DVD cover does it no justice and I didn't expect great things from this movie, but boy was I surprised.

Basically it's a love story, but it also captures the changing mood of the '60's perfectly with not only it's choice of songs but also the clever cinematography. I have to say the choice of songs was really rather clever and managed to avoid being predictable, sometimes there was just a nod to a song where it was referenced as a line in a conversation or a characters name. The script was good, but then so it should be with writers like Clement and Le Frenais at the helm, and the casting was superb - Eddie Izzard was perfect in his cameo and I even enjoyed Bono in it (which is an absolute first for me!). Jim Sturgess was excellent, as were all the cast, and their interpretations of the Beatles songs were beautiful.

Don't be put off by the cover, if you like the Beatles you'll love this.
on 19 August 2015
I really like this film. I must admit that I struggled with the first 20 minutes - I wasn't sure that I would watch the whole film. However, I'm really glad that I kept with it, as it got better and better and I ended up really loving it.
on 13 September 2017
after coming in late and missing the start of the movie shown on local t.v. I had to look up
amazon to see what was available.
when this 3 dvd. box set came up I just had to have it.

the story tells of the times in beatlee numbers. the movie is well done and recommend the
movie to all.

ted tuner.
on 6 August 2014
Great film full of the songs from the Beatles. Set in Liverpool and America, it's not just a musical but has much more depth. Have watched this three times already, is a great gift and I think those who don't normally like musicals, will enjoy this movie as it is packed with so much and you can't really describe it as one particular genre. Well worth the money
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2009
A musical is a cinematic form which is an acquired taste for some. However, if you allow yourself to suspend belief for a couple of hours and let this film wash over you like a warm wave then you will emerge uplifted and joyous through the experience.
Without wishing to offer a blow by blow account of the film, suffice it to say that visually the film is glorious,the tale is told with wit and ingenuity and the music is of course sublime.
A beautiful way to spend an evening....enjoy !
on 9 November 2013
...And for very good reason. A superb original musical story of a Scouser led to the lands across the pond told by reworked and reinterpreted works by the Beatles. Actors also include Bono, Joe Cocker and Eddie Izzard

Beautifully shot with a large budget, Across The Universe is a film you will watch again and again; and you will want to sit all your friends through it doing so! Sadly, the film was a flop at the box office - perhaps it was a little too clever for a regular audience with multiple underlying references throughout the entire film.
on 31 July 2017
I Love the beatles! It's like a long music video, BUT, very well acted, visually stunning, & actually sung by the actors! Fab!
on 28 August 2009
Across The Universe is a love story set in the late 1960's which follows Jude and Lucy as they experience some of the key events of this time, set to the music of the Beatles. This is a double-edged sword as it can alienate the kind of fan who believes that the original version is the definitive version. Someone actually said 'why mess with perfection' when slating this film to me. Another flaw/strength is how visually rich and experimental it is, this makes it stunningly beautiful to watch, but can be too 'trippy' for some viewers. This film is highly reccommended to everyone but I would advise watching it twice, especially those who didn't enjoy it first time around, as it may just surprise you.