Customer reviews

Classic Christmas Carols
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 December 2007
This album is made up of very good quality, and powerful, music. I cannot fault the performances, or the production for that matter.

The problem occurs, that if like me, your cd player is not remote controlled, then throughout the entire album you will be up and down up and down of your seat to ajust the volume (even during the same song, never mind for each one individually).

The above ^ will apply to all of you, unless you have no neighbours whatsoever within a mile or so of you and volume is no consideration.

I have never ever, in 30 years, known a music album with such a massive variance of volume level. Ever ! And that unfortunately, ruins the experience.
22 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 December 2016
In terms of material content, this disc contains a generously healthy helping of classic Christmas carols - all the usual suspects (from Ding Dong Merrily On High to God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman) - sung by the world famous choir of King's College Chapel, Cambridge.

We bought this some years ago. And it usually gets a festive airing once or twice over the Yuletide period. Being, relatively speaking, Cambridgeshire locals, this recording also has, for us, an added layer of appeal/piquancy.

One fairly serious issue, however, for which I dock a star, is that of sound quality. Track one takes a while to build, and turning the music up to full volume in this period, one hears a veritable squally wall of white noise. That I can even turn it up full also indicates that the overall level is lower than it should be.

A major label release of a choir this world-renowned really should be better served, sonically speaking. But as this is usually background music to xmas gatherings of family and friends, it lessens the issue somewhat.

So, good for developing that background Christmas ambience, but less good if you really want to crank it up and listen closely.
on 12 December 2017
Not bad in general, but I feel they're trying too hard in places. e.g. In "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" the line "oh, hush the noise, ye men of strife" is sung in a passive-aggressive hushed voice - this line (and the final one) should surely be sung in an exasperated, loud voice.
on 14 December 2014
It's true- volume is a problem on this CD. I can appreciate recording in the cathedral, but I wonder if a little production technology could have been employed. This CD has many of my favorite carols and hymns, but like R. Curwen, I was back and forth adjusting the volume, even within the same carol. The sound went from barely audible to too low, to just fine, to too loud to blasting. The brass on "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful" and " Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" was horrendously loud after I'd turned it up to hear the choir better. There is nothing wrong with my hearing, but I live in a flat, so I have to be careful not to offend neighbors. I had a headache after 6 or 7 carols, from the crashing brass and frustration of not being able to keep to one volume level. I got my excersise for the afternoon, however. The choir is beatific, the carols are brilliant, and the music would have been good had it been more restrained. I will keep this because of some of the beautiful work, but it will go to the back of the cabinet. I just wonder how the reviewers that didn't seem to mind this got through it. I found it stressful managing the sound, which is exactly opposite of what these carols should do.
on 7 January 2011
Nice cd, well worth buying. I was abit concerned about buying this cd, due to the review i had read on amazon, claiming the cd set volume was up and down abit. I have played the cd on two different PC's, in the car and our home cd player and although afew bits are lower due to the way they have been sung and played, there should be no concern over the cd volume what so ever. Rated this CD 5 stars.
on 20 February 2014
This Xmas version of the King's College annual performance is of good quality and I would recommend it. I have to say I do like more obscure songs and other choral work which is less predicable makes for more interesting listening than this album. Still it remains a must have album for the seasonal season.
on 23 January 2013
a brilliant double cd of all the classic christmas carols.played it in the background on christmas day was really lovely and festive, the carols i remember from my childhood, plus some more modern carols which will become favourites of the future.
on 12 January 2013
I rate this CD extremely highly. The carols really get you in the mood for Christmas. I particularly love the carols on CD 2 as they make me come out in goosebumps!! An absolute favourite.
on 31 January 2013
This purchase was a gift for friends resident in a European country. I have given it five stars on the basis of their comments. I am unable to comment further.
on 12 December 2014
This classic collection of carols is simply great value for money and provides a relaxing interlude during the hustle and bustle that is the modern Christmas!