on 1 August 2015
Bought this, mini kitchen after not being able to prepare and cook fresh food not processed stuff to pop in the microwave while we were having a new kitchen fitted when we moved into our new home, for weeks we had to live of microwave meals or stuff in the slow cooker so it was a real treat to be able to cook and enjoy a full roast dinner, the oven in not huge but holds a medium size chicken and as I was not used to cooking on electric had to be prepared for the cooking process to take a little while longer. now the kitchen is all finished we often use when we are having a BBQ to keep food hot.
on 7 November 2012
Russell Hobbs 13824-10 Mini Kitchen with Convection Oven and 2 Hot Plates 3000 W

I cook for 3 every day and 5 occasionally.

I got this Russell Hobbs mini oven and hot plates in 2009 because I couldn't afford a 'proper' oven and it's lasted every day use 'till now (Nov 2012) which I think is good going for something I have hammered every day and spent less than £80 on.

The large hot plate died 6 months ago. The oven died 3 months ago and the small plate is on its' way out now.

You can stir fry on the large ring and use a three tier steamer. The small one never gets hot enough to fry with (it's not meant to), but it will keep a rolling boil going if you add hot water from the kettle.

Both hot plates are suitable for everyday pan cooking needs.

The fan oven is suitable for baking. I made soda bread in it every morning and made countless stews. It's also got a good grill which I used to finish Spanish omelettes under. My cast iron skillet fits inside the oven handle and all and I can shut the door. The grilling is done by the top element but there aren't any 'dead' spots to speak of.

The oven is big enough for all but the very large pizza size and is quick to heat up if you switch on both top and bottom elements.

The stickers at the side of the control dials do wipe off more or less first time you clean it, but you don't really need them, it's not a fighter plane you're controlling it's just a hot plate i.e. turn it more to the right for hotter and turn it back for cooler, how hard is that to figure out?

It will get brown scorch marks on the outside round the top of the glass door where the heat escapes, but so what?

The hot plates will get messy like all electric hobs, but again so what?

The down sides are that there is no crumb tray so the inside of the oven is very hard to clean and spills carbonise on the bottom element and smoke.

The oven heat is not insulated well enough from the hot plate thermostats which is what I think kills them in the end. The metal is too thin around the hot plates so very heavy pans (eg a big pan full of boiling water and pasta) make it buckle, but it never caused a permanent dent or spill.

I have decided to replace this with a separate mini oven and double electric hot plate because I think I might get even longer out of this type of combination.

I hope I don't regret not getting another one of these Russell Hobbs jobs though?

Hope that's some use to you.
on 26 December 2013
This might be useful if you only intend using it as a temporary measure, but it is reliably unreliable. (See Peter's review.)
Within a few weeks, the oven light had blown. (Not surprising as it won't turn off even when the stove is off.) And hey, who cares about an oven light?
Within a few months, the thermostat on the hot plates had gone. (Luckily set at a high temp, so pasta,rice & basic heating still possible with a vigilant eye.)
But within 14 months, the oven thermostat too had bitten the dust. (But at a low temp.) Fortunately there are lots of recipes on the net for slow cooked chicken, which is why I have time to write this review as Boxing Day lunch is now set to be 3 hours late.
As this was a gift horse, I haven't the means of exchange.
I have used this sparingly, at weekends only, & am v disappointed to see its appearance in the Independent's top ten mini kitchens.
Suggestions for a decent alternative gratefully received.
on 27 July 2013
I usually make purchases based on reviews and as a norm pay some but little attention to bad reviews as i feel some people can be just to fussy! This item however i was wrong!!!

I'm currently on my 3rd one of these items in 4 months!!

The first the hobs never stayed at a constant temperature, i understand they turn on and off to maintain temperature but switched off to an extent the hobs went cold and to get hot again i had to switch the dial off then on again this needed to be repeated several times. and the oven would not stay above 150oC unless the top and bottom element were switched on. This unit also fell off the table so i purchased another unit.

The second unit, the door locked closed and had to be forced open to remove the food, it also had the same problem with the oven not being able to maintain heat in the oven and the hobs cooling down. I sent this for a replacement with amazon.

The 3rd unit, stopped working altogether, i attempted to change the fuse in the plug to no avail. This unit also had the same problem with the oven not maintaining heat, and the hobs cooling down.

I have given up hope and have been asked to send the item back for investigation to be replaced. the problem i have is i bought a small appliance like this because i dont have space so keeping the box to send it back in im not going to keep and cant be bothered to go through the hassle of finding a box suitably sized and packaging it just so i receive another unsatisfactory item. it can go to the metal man
on 12 August 2015
Do not purchase this product. I have now read (in retrospect) numerous reviews where it is claimed the hot plates do not maintain a useful temperature and this is absolutely correct. The oven is immeasurably flimsy with an exposed element at the bottom of the oven. I have spoken directly to Russell Hobbs customer services "technical" team who, if one was to believe, are apparently unaware of this fault with the hobs cooling down of their own accord.

Poor show for Russell Hobbs, a brand that I had previously held in high regard!
on 15 May 2012
Over the last 10 or so years it has become increasingly obvious that our kitchen stove can't cope with events like Christmas. Christmas is one of those big events where family and friends (most invited, some not) turn up at your home and expect to be fed; and were not talking a frozen pizza from the microwave. What these people expect is a multi-course roast dinner with all the trimmings with enough side dishes to fill the dining room table in their own right.

Our stove is a standard electricity run model. It has four main cooking rings; too large and too small. The problem is, that no matter how hard you try, there just aren't enough rings to go under all the pans. In fact, it has been an accident waiting to happen for over a decade.

Prior to Christmas we made a decision, we had to have extra rings; and so began the search for a multi-ring hotplate, with or without oven.

My parents bought my sister a 2 ring hob and oven when she moved out into her own place many years ago, and it is still going strong.

The choice seemed to be extremely limited with stores own brand products or products which had received extremely bad reviews. Then we stumbled across this Russell Hobbs gem, two hotplates with mini oven.

We've been using it for extra special events for five months now and it works well enough.

Firstly, the oven heats up very quickly which is good, but the sides also get very hot. I have caught my fingers and arms on the sides when reaching for something and received several nasty burns. This means that you must ensure that there is plenty of space between the table top cooker and any walls or cupboards, etc.

I would also recommend that you check the temperature of the oven by using an oven thermometer (or do a test batch if you have the time). From my experiences oven temperatures can vary widely from stove to stove, even amongst the same production run.

Secondly, the heating of the rings is a little slower than our regular stove which can be annoying, though we use it as a way of keeping already heated food in pans (such as gravy, peas, stuffing, etc) warm while waiting for the rest of the meal to finish cooking.

Finally, the cable is very short so you will need to make space on the counter near to the power point, or use an extension cable so that it can be positioned in the space of your choice.

All in all it is perfect for what we needed - it gives us that little bit of help on those big family meal occasions, as well as being a gem when you want to reheat something but don't want to use a big standard oven.
on 7 January 2015
The appliance came faulty, only the hobs work the convection oven does not. I have been unable to get through to anyone from Amazon about this, as it was only discovered after the 3 weeks returns policy. For standard safety reasons I had an electrician fit the unit in the kitchen with its own fuse. I will now have to pay for another 2 call out's - 1st to remove the faulty appliance to send to the manufacturer and 2nd to install the replacement. The electrician fees are almost double that of the appliance, not to mention postage and my time - this and lack of after-care is totally unacceptable.
on 22 April 2013
Having had this items predecessor which had performed marvelously for years I reasoned that an up to date version would be beneficial. how totally wrong could a person be? This item never performed successfully! taking three times as long to cook any food put into it ....!?! For example, a single portion of chicken nuggets and some oven chips which previously took approximately 18 / 22 mins to cook now took over 55 minutes to cook through (but still looked insipid) the food still looked as though it needed more time to brown up / crisp up! Calls to the manufacturer met with a dead end, this was their up to date version of this cooker and "NOBODY ELSE HAD COMPLAINED!" Thinking I had got a "FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIAL" of this cooker it was returned to the supplier for an exchange......which performed exactly the same!!!! Take my word for it people unless you can spare 2 / 3 Rd's of your lives to cook with this "ITEM!" save your money and "LIFE" and buy a Baby Belling table top cooker (unfortunately over twice the price) but well worth it, slightly faster cooking time for exactly the same example given earlier! Should have bought this cooker first....saving my blood pressure from going through the roof! and get my life back, ......writing this review, its all coming back to me ...ARGHHHHHHH! I hope this helps anyone looking for a table top cooker, remember read the "Baby Belling!" customer reviews against the reviews for the Russell Hobbs "ITEM!" I'm sure you'll make your own informed decision, GOOD LUCK! Jim...a very chilled out "B / BELLING USER.
on 11 September 2012
It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsman came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.
on 7 August 2014
I ordered this oven for an elderly client who just wanted to replace her existing Russell Hobbs oven (which is no longer available). The oven is adequate but I had to go through the instructions step by step to make them easier to understand! Please be aware that the outer oven door and handle get very hot so please do not place in an area where children can touch it or brush against it, my client uses a towel to open the door, it gets that hot. The element also acts as a grill, but as well as switching the grill switch on you have to remember to turn the temperature knob on to operate it and leave the door open. It is easy to clean. It would be better placed higher than other appliances to avoid accidental spillages.