Customer reviews

Size: 20 cm|Change

on 4 August 2015
This is one of my ‘perfect set’ of four tools for small-scale continuous kefir making, with the others in the product links below. The key features and benefits for kefir making are –

~ It is made of a non-reactive material and so presents no threat to the health and happiness of kefir grains
~ The nylon mesh is soft and yielding to light pressure which makes it easy to ‘stir’ kefir grains around inside it without crushing them
~ The holes in the mesh are a good size for allowing kefirized milk through whilst capturing even small, newly formed grains

Other non-kefir specific features are –

~ Very easy to clean and dry thanks to having no joins, lips, or areas which capture and retain water or material
~ Loop in the handle allows it to be hung up on a hook for immediate readiness in the kitchen

I’ve also used it for sifting cinnamon and cocoa but definitely wouldn’t use it for anything heavier or bulkier that required vigorous stirring rather than shaking because I doubt the nylon mesh would cope with much pressure.

The rest of the 'perfect set' are -

Canning Funnel: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000HJ99XS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Glass Jugs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009P5LPU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
+ Plastic spoons (any)
on 11 April 2015
I purchased this to strain my home fermented kefir, but did not find it practicable for the task. The curd kept blocking up the fine holes and the kefir was taking forever to run through (even though I was stirring it).

I have since purchased a plastic colander with a handle (brand: Hobby) which has larger holes all over, but the holes are small enough to hold back all the grains, even the small ones. It's perfect for the job, the kefir runs through much quicker. For anyone interested you can buy these colanders on Amazon, but the colour range is limited (only seem to have lime green at the time I am writing this review). I brought mine on another well known online platform in a nice shade of baby blue.
on 4 June 2017
Cheap sieve does what it's supposed to. Normally with plastic sieves the mesh will tear - I make quite a lot of pasta/rice etc and have had this product for a couple of years and it still hasn't torn so I'm pretty happy with it. The only issue is that boiling hot water will irreversibly distort/tighten the mesh a little.

Cheap and cheerful - buy a couple and you'll be sorted for a couple of years at least.
on 18 January 2014
I bought this plastic sieve for making water kefir (a probiotic cultured drink) since kefir grains cannot be used with metal utensils. The quality is good: it looks and feels sturdy and the plastic mesh is not flimsy at all (it kind of stays in a "bowl shape", not like some strainers that seem to made out of a pair of tights). The sieve has two little handles that you can put over the edge of whatever recipient you're using it over, which is handy. You can also wash it in the dishwasher. It's large enough for what I want to use it, and certainly sturdy enough for straining veggies as well. Definitely a good buy.
on 7 April 2016
Arrived quickly and safely. I bought this mesh in order to get rid of the seeds from my berry smoothies. They say berries are very good for you if it wasn't for the annoying seeds. Now I'm able to put my drink through the mesh and can now enjoy it minus the seeds. Am now a happy smoothie drinker and would definitely recommend this very handy mesh.
This is not only about 20 cm in diameter, but quite deep, too. I sometimes whiz up a green smoothie in my blender, and use this to strain out all the bits. It holds the whole contents of the blender, and keeps out the solids while nicely straining about the juice. That's probably it's biggest challenge, but I use it for all kinds of other things -- rinsing salads, beans out of the can, pasta. I can recommend it.
on 5 December 2014
Upon receiving the Strainer and inspecting it the word "Excellent" was definitely not the word I would use.
My major complain is with the rim around the plastic mesh.
On the surface of the rim, scratches are found on both the outer and inner side. Not one but a multiple of scratches.
Another defect of the rim was that the meshing or meshing patterns are plastered on the rim surface. I know that this was not part of the design as it was found on both the outside and inside of the rim and that it was inconsistently placed throughout the rim.
I am not nit picking about small flaws like the meshing is overlapping at the edge where the mesh and rim meets. No, the meshing pattern is clearly visible at the centre of the rim and this is occurring at multiple locations.
Finally at the rim there is also a black object/stain/rock (Not exactly sure) the has nestled into an indent which it has made for itself.
Luckily it is located on the outer side of the rim so it hopefully should not affect the ingredient I am planning to strain. However I'm edgy about wether I should or should not use this for food at all.
I'm really hoping to get this replaced if possible by the seller as I do not expect this kind of quality to be acceptable.

I have attached a photo to illustrate all of my complaints.
Sorry for the long nag post, but I thought you guys have the right to know
review image
on 3 October 2011
My nephew has just started cooking and since I am not great at cooking cakes I had to get alot of new things so these were ideal, I got the bigger size strainer so it covers most things and it is perfect for him and his cakes look a bit more professional with a dusting of icing sugar rather than leaving them plain. the strainer would be perfect for any size person. I would recommend it to anyone and I didn't have to go out looking by getting it sent to me and since I knew what was coming he thought it was great because he got this to open when it arrived.
on 22 January 2016
I bought this as a replacement for one i gave to my daughter (she needed a non metallic strainer.) I have used it a couple of times and it does the job. It seems sturdy and was a good price.
on 1 April 2013
I purchase this sieve as all of it was made of plastic (including the mesh) All my other seives I have purchased in the past had gone rusty in the dishwasher. This has now been in my dishwasher several times and is still as good as when I bought it. I also like the bigger size and can wash rice in it with no trouble. It has paid for it's self several times over.