Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 September 2017
I like Radiohead. I'll get that out of the way so you know. This is my third favorite album from the best English band that's ever existed. Yes, I know Pink Floyd and the Who, these guys are better ok, deal with it. Not all their albums are my total cup of tea, but the albums that I like blow my damn mind time and again. When I got this album I thought they couldn't top In Rainbows (my second favorite album) but they came tantalizingly close with this masterpiece. It's awesome, get it.
If there was an album more intriguing than Radiohead's In Rainbows released last year, then I don't think I heard it. Of course, intriguing doesn't always equate with enjoyable, but Radiohead have managed to achieve both, although not always in equal measure. The album opener, 15 Step, for example, is a 5/4 time, frantic, paranoid oddity, boasting a powerful drum beat, interesting chord changes, slightly eerie keyboard sounds and desperate panting. It successfully combines challenging the listener's ear with a pleasurable and exciting listen, something that Radiohead haven't always been able to achieve over the last few years.

Babysnatchers is a raw, electric guitar riff-driven, rock song which is propelled along by repetition - certainly not your typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus song, but you wouldn't expect anything less from post Kid A Radiohead. In stark contrast, Nude is a beautifully serene, gentle song, sung by Thom Yorke with a gorgeous falsetto, accompanied by soft electric guitar and some caressing strings - one of the best things I have heard from them in over a decade. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, an uptempo track which starts softly with a drum beat, a guitar arpeggio and Thom's slightly unhinged vocals, builds slowly and gradually into an exciting and fulfilling crescendo providing yet another highlight of the album. The subsequent track, All I Need, a bass-heavy, soundtrack-to-a-film sounding, mid-tempo song with an unusual time code - after listening and attempting to work it out, it appears to be 10/4, is really something and at 3:48, it is almost too short.

The oddly titled but very lovely Faust Arp, features only acoustic guitar, strings and vocals and is a very welcome interlude from the often challenging, more layered tracks on the majority of the album. Reckoner combines the ethereal beauty of Thom's multi-tracked voice with the backing of a constant drum beat, a stripped-down guitar line and some gorgeous strings. House Of Cards has a reverb-laden drum beat and vocal, which results in a huge, cavernous sound, even more effective when the strings are introduced. The last couple of tracks, Jigsaw Falling Into Place and Videotape, which are both good, competent, fairly enjoyable tracks, don't quite measure up to the rest of the album and are a slightly disappointing anti-climax to what is otherwise a remarkable album.

In fact, this really is an incredible piece of work and, to be honest, is it something that I didn't personally think that Radiohead would be able to produce at this stage of their career. It appears to be just the right blend of leftfield experimentation and artistic integrity together with a desire to make music that people can connect with and really enjoy as well as appreciate on a high-brow level. This is a Radiohead I can get on board with and get excited about, something I haven't really been able to do for a number of years.
on 16 September 2017
It's not radio head best like old computer moon shaped pool kid A the bends but it is worth a buy at a great price
on 14 August 2017
No delivery probs with prime. Now let me say this album is perfect . Love the music love the lyric love the album cover! This album is for fans of radiohead which i have been since i was a young teenager sitting in my bedroom with my head full of problems and this music took me away long enough to sort myself out.
on 19 September 2017
My favourite by far.
on 5 August 2017
I have had three of these records and all have been returned. The first and third skipped on exactly the same track and in exactly the same place. All three cracked and popped again on the same tracks.
on 11 August 2017
this is an amazing album. what else to say?
review image review image
on 29 July 2016
Purchased "In Rainbows" having seen the "In the Basement" set on Italian TV. It's the first Rainbow that I've purchased, so I guess I'm later than most at discovering just how talented they are! What struck me is that there isn't even a single "filler" track on the list. I'm not even going to attempt to interpret what the lyrics are about....very intimate and personal-sounding, and I suspect that every listener will have his/her own version of what they mean, depending on what is happening in their life. All I can say is that I adore "In Rainbows" and have been listening to it most days, and with each listen notice a nuance or note that I hadn't noticed before. So, to conclude, I recommend this to anyone eager to embark on a journey of discovery!
on 26 November 2007
I have waited 4½ years for this album and it was worth it. It's fantastic, sounds nothing like Radiohead have ever recorded, yet is still recognisable as Radiohead from the first 5 seconds of mashed-up drums that introduce '15 Step'. It's lush yet sparse. The strings (and there are a lot of strings on this record) are beautiful - the arrangements really show off Jonny Greenwood's classical leanings - and Thom's voice is amazing, despite years of touring and knocking on 40's door. Every time I hear the songs, I pick up something new. I highly recommend you give it a listen on headphones at some point - it's a real trip.

OK, they are my favourite band, so I am bound to be a little biased, but even so, one thing about this record compared to their last (2003's 'Hail to the Thief') is how immediate it is. Usually a new Radiohead record takes a few plays to gel, especially the more tricky electronic stuff, but not 'In Rainbows' (which doesn't feature as much of the sort of electronic beeps and bleeps that have characterised their last three albums) - every song has a hook or melody that will draw you in.

15 Step
This song starts with a weird Kid-A-ish cut-up drum sound before Thom starts singing, then about 40 seconds in the jazzy guitar kicks in. By the end of the song we even have small children yelping in a Floydesque moment that few bands could get away with it. Brilliant, attention grabbing opener.

Bodysnatchers
In which, as one blogger described, Radiohead turn into Sonic Youth. This track will blow your socks off. It features a fuzzed-up distorted guitar that sounds like it was recorded through a cheap practise amp turned up to 11.

Nude
A candidate for the most beautiful Radiohead song ever recorded. When Thom sings 'You'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thinking' the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
The guitar work on this song is up there with anything they have recorded in the past. Another song that builds up, hangs you in the air for a moment and then kicks you into space.

All I Need
Thom's voice full of echo lamenting on how he's an animal trapped in your hot car and stuff. This builds up and and up until he's shouting 'It's alright! It's alright!' The band members come in slowly and the crescendo you know is coming satisfies the parts other bands cannot reach.

Faust Arp
In which Radiohead have a 'Blackbird' moment, so lots of acoustic and another epic build-up. Shortest song on the album, and features an almost-stream-of-conciousness lyric a la 'Wolf At The Door' from 'Hail to the Thief'.

Reckoner
My current favourite. It sounds nothing like the song called 'Reckoner' they played live a few years ago - even the lyrics are different. Hard to describe this one, but it could be their best for a long time. The drumming really takes this song over, especially in the first half. There is an infectious guitar line which, mid-way through, gives over to a similar piano riff. Thom sings in a falsetto that is pretty hard to decipher without repeated headphone sessions.

House Of Cards
One of my favourite tracks from the 2006 tour. The staccato-ish guitar lick really makes this song, and Thom's whole 'use your voice as an instrument' really pays off. The bassline has shades of U2. Honest! There is also, IIRC, a sound created by Jonny playing a guitar with a violin bow.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Known as 'Open Pick' on last years tour, this is an amazing guitar number that starts with Thom singing in an almost lazy manner, before, half-way through, kicking it up a notch. Jangly and, well, a bit epic.

Videotape
A perfect closer. Thom, a piano and an off-kilter out-of-phase drum beat that really messes with your head. Marvellous.
on 4 March 2015
I will not bore you with a lengthy review. All I can say is this amazing album is only bettered by adding the 'from the basement DVD.