on 8 October 2012
I have just exchanged emails with Acorn Media. I had suspected that since they had not released the final two series of Nanny in the over 4 years since the release of series one, the reason may well be because they do not own the rights. This proved to be the case... which explains their statements that they have "no intention" of releasing the rest of it.

They can't, and never could.

Hence the confusion when series one was first released: The packaging didn't specify that it was series one only, because Acorn knew that they were NOT going to release the rest of it. And of course they didn't want the customers to know that because some may have been dissuaded from the purchase of series one if they knew going in that they would probably never have access to the rest of it!

This series is so very marvelous, I am happy to have even series one. But, I do rather resent all the time that I have spent going back and forth to Acorn to request it,and the time spent googling it every few weeks to find out if the rest had been released!:o)

The person at Acorn Media was very accommodating, and also stated that Acorn has no knowledge of who does own the rights to the rest of the series. Hmmm...

I have written to Network DVD and begged them to find out who owns the rights and to PLEASE try to purchase and release the rest of this fine tv show. After all, they seem to be distributing everything else ~ much of it far, far inferior to Nanny. I hope that many of you will do the same.
1111 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2008
As an American viewer, I first saw and fell in love with this show in the 80's. After more than 20 years, it has FINALLY been released on dvd! I only hope that the second and third series will be released soon . And hopefully, Acorn Media will also release it in region 1 format for American and Canadian viewers. Please , Please do this for the many fans of "Barbara Gray" who is for many of us, the one and only 'NANNY"!
Nanny begins in the early 1930's and follows the experiences of Barbara Gray , whose love for children leads her to a career as a Nanny . This release is the first season, of 10 episodes : there are two more series of 10 each that follow. It was the original idea of the star, Wendy Craig. And you can find some of the finest actors in English speaking world as 'guest stars" or regulars eg: Judy Campbell, Patricia Hodge, Richard Vernon, Celia Johnson, and Joan Hickson. Wonderful period drama. It was shown here in America on PBS and A&E during the 80's.
I have added this update: after contacting ACORN UK , I was told that there are NO plans to release series 2 & 3 of Nanny or to release it in region 1 for USA & Canadian machines. Any suggestions how we can get them to reconsider?
1010 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2008
Thoroughly enjoyed seeing this again, but this is definitely only the first series, there being three in total. I had a look at Acorn Media website and see that they have it listed as being Series 1. Hopefully Amazon will change their listing. I asked Acorn about the other series, and they wrote back saying they do hope to release them but no timescales as yet. I would love to have all the episodes as it is such a superb drama - Wendy Craig is brilliant in it.
on 27 September 2008
I will always think of this series as the "real" Nanny. A delightful and often poignant series with a superb cast. I anxiously wait the next release.
on 5 June 2008
Wendy Craig wrote 'Nanny' and was the keystone of the drama, Nanny Barbara Gray, the characterisations are superb and the social and historical contexts are excellently observed.

It is a bit slow by modern standards of story development and the audience is expected to listen to every word and to understand and remember what they have been told because there is nothing 'dumbed down' about this series.

The storylines are believable and the medical techniques for the period are well detailed, along with that is the attention to uniform and costume details, which are very good.

The script catches the language of that period very well along with the attitudes which were prevalent then, and the sense of there being a war beyond the bounds of the nursery, but never quite admitted.

The love themes are handled brilliantly and the underlying currents of what was allowable in 'polite society' and what was not are there, but do not intrude upon the essential story of the various families and their children and their nanny.

I recommend this to people who want to remember the 30s and 40s or for study of the society and attitudes and prejudices of the period.
on 2 September 2009
This series has that wonderful mellow Sunday evening 'feel' about it (can't recall if it filled this slot when first shown). It's well written, and Wendy Craig is perfect in the role of Nanny.

The series is also well researched and some of the attitues of 1930s Britain are depicted rather well. There are few period dramas I can think of that really focus on this particular period quite so well. The icing on the cake is the gorgeous intro and incidental score by the late Grant Hossack.

If you like period drama then you will not be disappointed with this, particularly if you have a memory of seeing and enjoying its first broadcast all those years ago. The intro graphics and music will bring the memories flooding back. Please Acorn, you must release the other seasons of this series!
on 22 November 2008
This is a series that my sister and I enjoyed with our mom, back in the 80s on American TV channel A&E. Seeing this reminds us of our time with our mom, whom we greatly miss. It's a wonderful show--loving and informative about the times. It's truly great drama, with, as another reviewer stated, many great stars of British stage and screen. I'm very hopeful of picking up the rest of the series soon.
on 5 March 2013
This was one of my very favourite programmes when I was young, we all used to watch it as a family and I really loved it. I had a tape of some of the songs and stories, which I still have, but only just found this DVD and was so excited to see it again. I wasn't disappointed, it is just as I remembered, and I've really enjoyed watching again. If you're watching again or watching for the first time I highly recommend it - and there are plenty of well known actors in it too.
on 19 March 2008
Harking back to the 1980's when the BBC delighted audiences with costume dramas with astonishingly high production standards, Wendy Craig starred in the much loved series 'Nanny'. Slightly older than the other girls she trained with, Barbara Gray is a divorcee in England in the 1930's and we follow her journey to fulfill the longing she has for a child of her own as she takes up a succession of posts as "Nanny". Dressed in her uniform of greenish gray coat and hat, Wendy wheels a pram like a professional from the time, and I suspect the children she acts beside would have a wonderful time recording the episodes.

With plenty of familiar faces - Patricia Hodge, Joan Hickson, a very young Sam West in one of his earlier roles - each episode has "Nanny" solving the problems of a household whilst engaging with the children. Interestingly, apart from Sam West, I did not recognise any of the child stars as adults we now also know from television or film - and the 4 girls who play Patricia Hodge's daughters in her upper class house were a joy to watch! Perhaps acting careers were not what they wanted, but nonetheless they were all brilliant, believable and (eventually!) loveable as Barbara Gray takes them in hand.

I knocked off 1 star because of a complaint I remember hearing at the time the series was screened - "Nanny" tended to stay with one family for anything up to retiral age. They would often end up in charge of the children of the original children they were responsible for. Wendy Craig - who had the idea for the series - possibly wanted to avoid this becoming another 'Upstairs, Downstairs' - and therefor her character tends to be a "temp" rather than a long standing member of the household, allowing for the introduction of a wide variety of households and characters.

A minor quibble as we see her get to grips with intellectual households, Bohemians, Gentry - all with their own ideas of child rearing - but with precious little time or inclination to actually get involved....

Release the next series soon please, BBC - Nanny is a winner!
on 5 April 2010
This is a well written and well produced series, most episodes showing 'Nanny' with a new family and thus a new set of characters and a new story. Costumes and props alsolutely of the era. This is an excellent production and can't wait for the next series to be released.