on 13 May 2012
I did quite a bit of research before making this purchase.

I looked at commercial steel mandolines - too scary looking! And multi-purpose mandolines aimed at domestic cooks and the hand held julienne slicers, such as this.

Finally for ease and simplicity I chose the Oxo Good Grip, on the basis that their hand held mandoline slicer had good reviews.

Alas I am disppointed by this product, although it does work to some degree and I will keep it.

Plus points:

- The handle is good and sturdy

- The slicer fits securely over a prep bowl

- Reasonably priced

Gripes:

- The safety guard/produce holder does not grip well, I have had success with carrots only. So I end up using my hand only and it is surely a matter of time before I slice my finger

- The slicing action is not smooth ie there is resistance as I drag the vegetable back and forth across the blades. (It is possible that my technique will improve as I get more familiar with this item)

- Tricky to store as the blade is exposed, the safety guard does not fit onto the slicer when not in use.

- Mixed results slicing veg, definitely more successful with harder root veg After use I need to go in with my hands and separate it out as it comes out quite 'clumpy'

I'm going to keep this because it is lightweight and will prob use as a travel item ie in caravan or on extended visits to relatives as it is better than nothing, however I can't in all honesty recommend it.
on 17 October 2012
Had to return. Only tried it with carrots but the sharp triangles that stick out weren't sharp enough to cut them well, but certainly sharp enough to nip my fingers, as the carrots kept falling off the holder guard and I had to resort to using hands instead. I reckon it would have taken me the same amount of time to cut carrots by hand. I have got OXO slicer and that one is excellent, was a bit dissapointed with the jullienner.
on 19 March 2013
The Oxo Julienne slicer doesn't julienne well! I still have to hand separate the strips which is annoying. I wouldn't buy this again.
on 16 March 2015
I had a nice hand held one (like a y peeler) which was so goo, someone failed to return it after using it.. I got this for Christmas and it is terrible - a real safety hazard and I would not suggest anyone uses it unless wearing chain mail.
on 6 May 2015
Sadly, very disappointed with this product, I done so much research, I really wish I had listened to other reviewers, OXO is an excellent make, however, this Julienne Slicer is very poor, the safety attachment for gripping onto the vegetable doesnt have a lot of grip, the veg just rolls off and you end up using your hands which could prove dangerous, I am sending my back :(
on 24 December 2012
Love this product. Bought as supplement to the one I have. One at home one at work. Fantastic little gadget to use.
on 13 April 2014
Waste of money. Doesn't even julienne carrots - waste of money. I did quite a lot of research before I bought it like previous reviewer and this is a no good does not work product. Do not buy it. Plus after one attempt to use it the slide is stained orange so cannot even return it.
on 23 January 2014
I bought this as i saw one on a cooking program, but it did take me some time to find it, but now that i have one i dont know how i managed without one for so long, saves you having to get the chopping board and sharpening the knife its just there for you, i would recommend this to everyone to have in their kitchen.
on 19 October 2014
This item is not a patch on the ordinary slicer. Although the unit is almost exactly the same as the slicer but with the addition of vertical cutters it does not work half as well. There is a greater resistance to operation than the slicer which makes it more clumsy to use.
on 8 November 2013
• If you want an ornament to that looks good on your wall for others to see and admire it will do, but if you want it to “Creates perfect even slices that can adjust for slices in 3 levels of thickness” as its say in the write-up this is not for you as the one’s that I have only cut tapered wedges both the mandolin and julienne cut this way. So a total waste of money.