Top critical review
20 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2012
I did quite a bit of research before making this purchase.
I looked at commercial steel mandolines - too scary looking! And multi-purpose mandolines aimed at domestic cooks and the hand held julienne slicers, such as this.
Finally for ease and simplicity I chose the Oxo Good Grip, on the basis that their hand held mandoline slicer had good reviews.
Alas I am disppointed by this product, although it does work to some degree and I will keep it.
- The handle is good and sturdy
- The slicer fits securely over a prep bowl
- Reasonably priced
- The safety guard/produce holder does not grip well, I have had success with carrots only. So I end up using my hand only and it is surely a matter of time before I slice my finger
- The slicing action is not smooth ie there is resistance as I drag the vegetable back and forth across the blades. (It is possible that my technique will improve as I get more familiar with this item)
- Tricky to store as the blade is exposed, the safety guard does not fit onto the slicer when not in use.
- Mixed results slicing veg, definitely more successful with harder root veg After use I need to go in with my hands and separate it out as it comes out quite 'clumpy'
I'm going to keep this because it is lightweight and will prob use as a travel item ie in caravan or on extended visits to relatives as it is better than nothing, however I can't in all honesty recommend it.