on 9 February 2015
All the colour has disappeared after 3 weeks. It's useless and waiting to see if amazon are going to refund me.
Caution
review image
37 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2017
My lamp is reluctant to "lava" at all for the most part the lamp warms up and the lava sits at the bottom in a gelatinous mound threatening, in its wobbly way, to do something interesting but never actually delivering. Its like a sort of suspenseful anxiety inducing torture that results in feelings of frustration. A kind of rage meditation if you will.
15 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2017
My daughter was desperate for a lava lamp so I bought this. When I first took it out of it's packaging unfortunately the wax came out of position. (mainly because I did not read the instructions). It then took me a very long time to shake and move the glass around to get the wax back to where it should be. This is due to the fact that there is a metal coil in the wax that needs to be near the lightbulb in order for the wax to melt. Once we had fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with it (and got very frustrated), it worked great. So be warned, read the instructions and be careful not to dislodge it from where it should be because you will spend ages getting it to work as it should. Size wise, its a good size and looks very pretty once it is up and working.
4 people found this helpful
on 17 September 2017
I have collected Lava lamps for years and I have had better flow from 'fake' Lava lamps than from this! Constantly coming off its coil at the bottom, wax is full of air bubbles, it simply does not work! This is absolutley shocking from a company that prides itself as the 'Original' Lava company! I am glad I only purchased this for myself, I would be embarrassed if I had given this as a gift! You should be ashamed of yourselves peddling such rubbish!
5 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2018
We bought this for my daughter, it is good and well made an much better value than the original version.

But they do seem to take quite a while to work. Now this is purely down to more energy efficient bulbs that are now used. Back in the day when I had one of these first time around, bulbs were much less efficient, this means they gave off a lot of heat rather than all light. Nowadays bulbs are efficient so they do not produce much heat, all the energy goes in to light. Now the paradox here is that these kind of lamps need heat to melt the blobs and make them move, therefore they really need old school inefficient bulbs which you cant easily buy.

Now that aside, if you're prepared for them to take quite a long while to warm up before you see any movement then I think this is really good value compared to the Mathmos version. If you need it to work when you press the switch then this will really disappoint.

I'm happy with my purchase
2 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2017
Unfortunately, like many people I see in the reviews, I'm not too pleased with this Lava lamp. The main gripe I have is that the lava-gel substance isn't particularly active. Even after many hours, it hardly moves at all. Fortunately, I still have the gel capsule from the lamp this was replacing, however, if I didn't, it would be a real shame.
My girl calls it the 'love lamp' ❤️, and it's also perfect for when my partner is breast feeding at night as it's the perfect background light for the early hours of the morning.
The actual product was nicely packaged, very secure and safe from any breakages.
It does look nice on the bedside table, very sci-fi-esque, and as mentioned above, thankfully I had the spare capsule so am still able to gaze into the hypnotic swirls of molten lava whilst my baby has her midnight feed.
review imagereview image
One person found this helpful
on 22 July 2017
This was the second one of these purchased as the first one didn't work - neither did this one! After an hour heating up the wax bubbled up nicely then fell down again and didn't move again, ever! Pity, as when it was moving it looked good! Will try a different make or type as it was a present for my daughter.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2017
Perfect. I had to try these before I gave them as Christmas presents. Was going to send back as the liquid was murky and nothing happened even after I left it turned on for 6 hrs. Turned it off then tried again the next day. Worked within half an hour. Murly water sorted, coil repositioned itself in the bottom, happy I tried again! I think it could have been because it was very cold when it was delivered. Needed to warm up first.
One person found this helpful
on 15 June 2017
Although a pretty colour combination the unit gets very warm and as reported by other reviewers the lava does not flow. A large blob of orange glowing wax sits at the bottom of the lamp not doing anything. Now just sits in the corner of the room providing a warm glow.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 September 2015
Please don't buy from this supplier PLEASE PLEASES DON'T!!!!! I bought this for my house to lighten up the darkness on them winter nights and after 4 weeks it started turning a yellow then after 2 months the water and the wax turned yellow? It looked like urine and with crap floating around. And the worst this was i couldn't return it as the supplier only give a 3 month guarantee. Always ask where it's coming from, make sure not china. and how much guarantee you get....
3 people found this helpful